Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   What do you use to clean/lube your gun? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/what-do-you-use-clean-lube-your-gun-4644/)

painted_klown 05-27-2008 06:12 AM

What do you use to clean/lube your gun?

Hello all. I was just wondering what you like to use to clean and lubricate your guns. I use Break Free as it is what the guy from the local gun shop stocks and recommended to me. It seems to work pretty good to me.

What do you like?
Do you use a separate cleaner and lubrication or a 2 in one type of deal such as break free?

Jables 05-27-2008 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by painted_klown (Post 25591)
Hello all. I was just wondering what you like to use to clean and lubricate your guns. I use Break Free as it is what the guy from the local gun shop stocks and recommended to me. It seems to work pretty good to me.

What do you like?
Do you use a separate cleaner and lubrication or a 2 in one type of deal such as break free?

I use nitro to clean and rem-oil to lub. That's just me.

CA357 05-27-2008 06:41 AM

I like Hoppe's Elite for a cleaner and BoreGel if it's really dirty. I use TetraLube and Tetra grease for lubricants. I spray a bit of RemOil on the firearm when everything is done and give it a final wipedown.

robocop10mm 05-27-2008 12:45 PM

Shooters Choice bore solvent. It disolves copper, lead and plastic fouling. Lube, depends on the gun. Break free, Rig lube +p for stainless steel pistols, Sentry solutions dry lube for AR's. My new favorite lube is Castrol Syntec 5W-30 synthetic motor oil. Superior lube for bargain basement price.

NYPD13 05-27-2008 02:18 PM

Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber To Start, Shooters Choice Bore Solvent For Stubborn Areas, Hornady One Shot To Finish With Hoppes Elite Oil Where Its Needed.

ScottG 05-27-2008 09:39 PM

I use Break Free. I have some Rem oil, but have never used it. I haven't used anything else yet like a copper remover.

Generally I use a boresnake and then run a few patches on a rod. After a few cleanings I'll use the rod and brass brush to give the barrel a good scrubbing.

I also wipe down the outside of the gun with a silicone cloth.

painted_klown 05-28-2008 12:55 AM

That's the same thing I do ScottG. Break Free for cleaner/lube and a bore snake on the barrel. So far it has worked out great.:)

Dillinger 05-28-2008 08:55 PM

I'm totally spoiled. My first Christmas with my fiancee' she was great enough to get me a Crest Ultrasonic 575. I used to take her shooting about once every two weeks and then we would spend a couple of hours cleaning the pistols, which was fun and informative for her, but she sneakily asked me one day if there was an easier way and the next thing I knew, I had a brand new ultra sonic tank for all my pistols and small parts to go through. Totally cool. :D

I don't put my slides in there because of the night sights, but it's safe for everything else. Pull the hand grips on my 1911's and they are good to go in about 10 minutes of treatment. Really good stuff.

For a range kit I use M-Pro7 that I bought in a handy plastic kit that housed everything from swabs to cleaner to lubricant to the kitchen sink. Really good stuff and I have never had any problems with any of their products except that the cap came off the spray cleaner and needed to be afro-engineered to keep from leaking. That was the only negative I could possibly say about their stuff, it works well and I have never had any performance issues from any gun, 1911 thru Glock thru Kimber thru Sig Sauer thru Taurus after it has been cleaned with their product.

JD

h&k bigdaddydieseldan 05-28-2008 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 25868)
I'm totally spoiled. My first Christmas with my fiancee' she was great enough to get me a Crest Ultrasonic 575. I used to take her shooting about once every two weeks and then we would spend a couple of hours cleaning the pistols, which was fun and informative for her, but she sneakily asked me one day if there was an easier way and the next thing I knew, I had a brand new ultra sonic tank for all my pistols and small parts to go through. Totally cool. :D

I don't put my slides in there because of the night sights, but it's safe for everything else. Pull the hand grips on my 1911's and they are good to go in about 10 minutes of treatment. Really good stuff.

For a range kit I use M-Pro7 that I bought in a handy plastic kit that housed everything from swabs to cleaner to lubricant to the kitchen sink. Really good stuff and I have never had any problems with any of their products except that the cap came off the spray cleaner and needed to be afro-engineered to keep from leaking. That was the only negative I could possibly say about their stuff, it works well and I have never had any performance issues from any gun, 1911 thru Glock thru Kimber thru Sig Sauer thru Taurus after it has been cleaned with their product.

JD

Yeah JD you are spoiled you lucky sob I am jealous wish I had a ultra sonic cleaner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::(

Dillinger 05-28-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h&k bigdaddydieseldan (Post 25870)
Yeah JD you are spoiled you lucky sob I am jealous wish I had a ultra sonic cleaner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::(

Sorry Bro - My woman snuck one by me or I wouldn't have one either. :p

She is a good woman and looks out for me on many an issue. I am a lucky, lucky man - she is much better than I deserve, that's for sure... LOL

JD