Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   What do you think of the English (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/what-do-you-think-english-34526/)

Davyboy 11-18-2010 09:01 PM

What do you think of the English

Have travelled the world and I believe we are one of the least liked races internationally. Probably with good cause looking at the former British empire. We not Hitler invented prison camps. I personally have an affinity for Americans and have met some really nice people around the world and in the USA. I would very much appreciate everyones opinion and please no holes barred. I will not be offended although i may choose to defend certain replies if I consider them unjustified. I recently posted this thread and feel it is only fair you have the right to reciprocate.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/what-true-american-30788/

Dillinger 11-18-2010 09:06 PM

I happen to like you guys. Whenever we decide it's time to take an ass-whooping to someone, you folks are there right along with us. If the rest of the world wants to hate on either of our countries because of our allegiance, there isn't much we can do about it.

Nor am I going to lose any sleep over it. :cool:

orangello 11-18-2010 09:07 PM

Your TV peeps made some really funny shows over the years. Other than that, i have little experience with people from England. There was a lady who worked for my employer while attending college; she was well-liked by everyone here, as far as i know.

I wish the "English peas" would have stayed away, though. ;)

Davyboy 11-18-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 388615)
I happen to like you guys. Whenever we decide it's time to take an ass-whooping to someone, you folks are there right along with us. If the rest of the world wants to hate on either of our countries because of our allegiance, there isn't much we can do about it.

Nor am I going to lose any sleep over it. :cool:

Thanks JD that means a lot

Squirrel_Slayer 11-18-2010 09:32 PM

If I say that I like the English can I get some shepards pie sent to me? Just kidding. I dated an English gal a long time ago, my step mom is English...I like you folks alot. I don't quite understand the obsession with soccer though.

JR36 11-18-2010 09:33 PM

I've been to England, I've fought beside the English, I've drank with English, and I've loved em all. I don't know anyone in the states who has a problem with the English. A large percentage of my family tree is from SW England (Dorset, Devon and Somerset)

Hell I stay in hostels as much as I can while I travel in the states just for the fact that I'm far more likely to run into people from W Europe and be among my demographic (young, in town for a few days and looking to drink). At the end of most nights I'm staggering back with Brits.

Anyone who blames you for the Empire or concentration camps in the Boer War needs to look at their own countries history and the many fallacies associated with applying 21st century norms/values/standards to previous eras.

That being said, I do worry about your country and the state it seems to be getting itself into. I read a report the other day about people burning red poppies on Remembrance Day and it boiled my blood more than I was expecting. The Brits I fought along side were some of the nicest most professional people I've met. Plus you kids have taken swearing to the level of fine art. I just hope if the bugle really blows, that there's plenty of those boys on the Island.

You've got one of the proudest military traditions. Though its very sad that a lot of the old units faced amalgamation. Hell, I don't want to imagine the world without Brits.

I even traded my Kabar to a Gurkha for his kurki after watching him take the head off a goat with one swing.

robocop10mm 11-18-2010 09:36 PM

The mother of a high school friend was English. The accent was charming. Monty Python is probably my favorite comedy troop of all time (right behind the 3 stooges). I have been to England/Scotland twice and never met a rude person there. Beautiful Country, rich history, nice people (to me) and much better looking women than I expected.

Pengie 11-18-2010 09:37 PM

Pengie has not yet met an English. Pengie would like to meet an English and judge for myself.

AusLach 11-18-2010 10:01 PM

Well I for one can vouch for your 'most hated' status!! :p

Aussies have a love/hate relationship with the motherland, especially when you beat us at Rugby or in the Ashes (which you most certainly will this year, I might add :mad:). There's a great rivalry between our two countries but it seems also a great camaraderie; something that is hard to explain... We take comfort that in times of need the Poms will always have our back, and take pride in the fact that they know we will have theirs.

Even if we leave the Monarchy, we will always have close ties to the English, and we shall proudly remain your little brother from across the pond.

Davyboy 11-18-2010 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pengie (Post 388636)
Pengie has not yet met an English. Pengie would like to meet an English and judge for myself.

Pengie would be treated like royalty in Britain