What do you think?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What do you think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default What do you think?

OK, so a young gal employed by my usual gun store has recently obtained a certification from Duracoat so she can put custom finishes on firearms. I had a bottle of some black semi-gloss that I wanted to put on a gun myself, but never had the time.

I took it in and she said she'd do it for $60, not bad price and that she'd have it done in about a week. This was over a month ago. I called 2 days ago and asked how it was going and her response was "I haven't even started it yet". I'm going down there to pick up an order later today or tomorrow and was thinking about just asking for the gun back and doing it myself, but I don't want to cause bad blood with the owners as they have always given me great treatment.

What say you?

D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Unless you've lost all confidence in her technical skills, why not just ask her when it will be done & what happened to the "about a week" timeline? If she doesn't have an explanation or gets in a huff (covering), then ask for it back & handle it yourself while having a reasonable explanation should the owners take an interest.

Maybe she will offer a discount for the delay or give you a more firm delivery date..........or flash some boobs, boobs almost always make me feel better.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I strongly favor the boobs idea.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #4

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Tell them you need the gun and do it yourself. What kind of training does it take to coat a gun. If you can point a pistol, you can point a spray gun or an aerosol can.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:43 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

It's not the skill that prompted me to take the gun there. It's the time factor. First you have to thoroughly clean/degrease the gun (this involves a chemical cleaning, followed by heat, followed by more cleaning) , remove all furniture, etc. Plus, she's a young gal trying something new to make money and I thought I'd give her a shot.

Update: I went in today to pick up a Remy and she approached me and said she guarantees completion in one more week. If she does a good job I'll let her do the stock for the Remy.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good deal.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-06-2010, 01:27 AM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I still vote for boobs...and if she does, your camera phone better be workin'

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 03-06-2010, 02:53 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The complexities of modern finishes, by their very complexity, are prone to exponentially more Quality Control issues than standard bluing techniques. For example.....
Wait, who said "Boobs"?

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 03-06-2010, 02:59 AM   #9

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

YAY BOOBIES

no matter how long you watch this you will never see what you want

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 03-06-2010, 03:40 AM   #10
MGH

I hate you Darin!!! your post is awesome but your avatar threw me off big time!