What do you miss the most? - Page 17
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What do you miss the most?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 11:39 PM   #161
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3455 Times on 1933 Posts
Likes Given: 19279

I,m on hold for a little while and i really miss my sword and target shooting . Looking forward to getting back at all things .

Old 03-08-2014, 01:03 AM   #162

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
I would have to say youth......!
At 66, I have to agree!

I never had anything growing up, dad was the small town drunk but somehow we made it. Then I joined the Army in 1966 and was on my own for good. Things gradually got better. After the Army, at 21, I got my first beater car and a couple guns. I worked and went to college on the GI Bill and life got better again until a setback due to divorce. But it straightened out with time (I hope the same happens to you Trip!)

Overall, I've had a good life and good health which is ultimately the most important thing. I do miss a couple muscle cars and all the tools and buddys who got together on weekends, drank beer and got greasy fixing up those old beasts. I'd love to have my old '62 Bonneville!

I also miss the great music on AM radio! And some of the girls in that Pontiac!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-08-2014, 01:07 AM   #163
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

there are many things i miss.

when times were much simpler.

when people as a whole had a different attitude.

when gas was much cheaper.

when drive-in movie theaters were more common.

when we said prayers in school.

when people weren't afraid of doing hard work for a living.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:15 AM   #164

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts

I was born in 1998 so a few things I miss would be :

1. Decent Cabela's video games
2. The handheld hunting & fishing games from Radica®
3. Cheap ammo
4. When Marlin lever guns rarely pushed $400

Old 03-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #165

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1420

Cheap & availabe 22lr ammo.

People Like This 
Old 03-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #166

Liked 250 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I miss the days of less traffic, open country roads to explore .

I also miss being naive enough to believe that long-haired hippie types were the only people using drugs, that auto mechanics made a lot of money, that bumming around Europe on a bicycle would be a great idea, that places like Scotland had almost no crime, that fighting a war could be more exciting than miserable, that there were people older than me who knew better how to run the country, that there were some heavy drinkers who weren't alcoholics, that the police were really after the drunk drivers, that the Democrats were upset about Watergate because it was outrageous and not for political reasons, that we could never have another President as bad as Nixon, that Walter Cronkite was presenting unbiased news, that no one really wanted to take away our guns, that bodybuilders didn't use steroids, that Olympics judges were fair, that if you carried a gun it would make you bulletproof, that professional wrestling might be real, that motorcycling could be safe, that women didn't care what kind of work I did or how much money I made, that no Americans were communists and that less than 1% of the government's welfare money was fraud .

Last edited by Rentacop; 03-14-2014 at 10:05 AM.
People Like This 
Old 04-09-2014, 02:37 AM   #167

Liked 838 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1735

..I remember when kids playing cops & robbers, cowboys & indians ... having full size G.I. Joes' ... and (in my case) pretending to be James Bond was NOT seen as "abnormal" or "a predictor of violent tendencies".... and all this stupid P.C. crap we have to put up with and tip-toe around was seen as just that... CRAP!!

Most of all.. I miss the Bugs Bunny in Scotland cartoon!!!..... I'm of Scottish blood and it doesn't even remotely "offend" me !! I can't even find a complete version on Youtube!!!

Old 04-09-2014, 05:14 AM   #168

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1420

I remember when 'Ring Dings' were the size of a coffee saucer and came one to a package, and 'Ring Ding Juniors' were the small ones.

I remember Duncan Yo-Yos and Tops. I had a top that had two, one inside the other. They separated on the throw and provided me with two chances to hit the other tops.

I remember playing 'Scully'. Scully was a game sort of like marbles, except you played it with the old metal soda bottle caps on a square 'board' painted on the black street asphalt.

I remember weekly deliveries by the soda man, who delivered soda and seltzer, and making my own chocolate sodas with Fox's 'Ubet' chocolate syrup.

I remember early morning milk deliveries, in glass milk bottles, with paper caps and plugs. That were followed by early morning baked goods deliveries.

I remember when Ozone Park had large open lots with tall grasses and cattails. And before that when Judge Balsam had a dairy farm and they were pastures filled with cows, instead of now when it's called 'Balsam Village'.

I remember when you bought your meat from the butcher, the produce from the green grocer, the fish from the the fish store, and the boxed foods from the 'super market',

I remember when there ware only two 'flavors' of cola, Pepsi & Coca-Cola, they came in glass bottles, the Coke bottle was green, and they had a five cent deposit. No diet caffeine free jamoca almond fudge cherry cola available.

I remember when there were only three brands of toothpaste: Colgate, Crest and Gleem; instead of 144. (And that was just the tubed toothpaste, I counted.)

Last edited by Vincine; 04-09-2014 at 05:35 AM.
People Like This 
Old 04-09-2014, 06:02 AM   #169
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7787 Times on 4675 Posts
Likes Given: 9764

For many years my Dad was a milk man who owned his own route. He delivered the milk at the doorstep. The milk was in those glass bottles with the paper caps. He put the milk orders in metal insulated boxes people had on their porches. In the summer when I didn't have school I'd sometimes go on his route with him. We'd eat lunch at a bar and grill he delivered milk to. When we were driving, he'd let me sit on the step of his Divco truck with the side door open and I'd watch the pavement whiz past as we drove along. At the beginning of the route, in the morning at the dairy, my Dad would throw huge blocks of ice in his Divco onto the wooden floor of the truck. It was not a refrigerated truck. I remember the huge tongs he used to throw the blocks of ice into the truck. The truck would drip water all day long. At home, if we needed milk, chocolate milk or butter, we'd just go in the back yard and get it from the truck. He always had a little extra in case a customer needed more than expected or someone approached him randomly to buy something off his truck.

As we all know, milk home delivery went the way of the dinosaur and my Father became a real estate broker. But the pistol I inherited from my Dad he bought from a customer on his mik route many years ago.

People Like This