What do you miss the most?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What do you miss the most?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 01:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default What do you miss the most?

Some of us live a little more rustic than others. Some of us do so because fate has thrown us a wild card, and some by choice.

If you've ever gone from "high on the hog" to "not so tall cotton", I'm curious what you miss most about the more so-called "civilized" lifestyle.

As some of you know, I was forced out of my home late last year. Even there, I didn't exactly have what some would call all the modern amenities, but I've had most, if not all, the modern conveniences at some point in the past or another...

The thing I miss most is a garbage disposal. I took it for granted when I was married, partly because I had to take the trash out everyday. But with just my son and I, the trash only has to go out about once every two weeks.

Now, because of the very little amount of trash we produce, and because I had to fight tooth and nail to claim this rental murder house from the roaches that had taken over during it's lack of occupancy, I do not throw away food trash. Anything that could be attractive to roaches, I seal up in something. If I freeze food and then cook it later, I save the ziplocks and the scraps either go to the dog, or are resealed in the freezer bags to go into the garbage.

Now... sometimes that just doesn't work out. And sometimes we eat food that just isn't good for a dog's health.

So this is how I dispose of such...I grind it with a fork as I wash it down the drain...

So... what modern amenity have you had in the past that you miss dearly now? Bear in mind, I have a washer and dryer... but no hookups for them. So I can't even do laundry in my house. I go to my sister's or the laundrymat. But I freaking miss the hell outta a garbage disposal!

1390441801436.jpg  

Last edited by trip286; 01-23-2014 at 02:22 AM.
dango Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2014, 01:57 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3455 Times on 1933 Posts
Likes Given: 19279

I would have to say youth......!

Old 01-23-2014, 02:09 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 539 Times on 325 Posts

Default What do you miss the most?

Talk to your landlord and see if you do the work to put in a garbage disposal and a outlet for your washer and dryer that you don't have to pay rent, or as much. it helps them out and. You.
That's what I used to do. And I can help you.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Last edited by SSGSF; 01-23-2014 at 02:12 AM.
People Like This 
Old 01-23-2014, 02:21 AM   #4

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
Talk to your landlord and see if you do the work to put in a garbage disposal and a outlet for your washer and dryer that you don't have to pay rent, or as much. it helps them out and. You.
That's what I used to do. And I can help you.
Oh, we've already talked about both, and we intend to do both.

There's a story behind this house. He lived in it with his niece, who was about the same age as him (5 years younger I think), while she was going through a divorce.

It's his, he owns it. Paid for it outright when the elderly couple that lived here moved into a nursing home or died or something. Said it was just too cheap and too nice of a little place to pass up (it IS quite a cute little house).

He came home from work one day and found his niece had been murdered. They're pretty sure her soon to be ex had something to do with it, but no one was ever able to prove anything, or even get any reasonable suspicion to have him investigated. Amazing to me.

So, he had to have the whole place renovated. Even had to have the ceilings repainted, because apparently it was just that bad.

So, he's almost 50, and has moved back in with his mom just down the road. He can't stand to be in this place any more than a few moments. The longest he's been inside this house since it happened, was to help me install a light above the kitchen sink (which I still haven't gotten bulbs for yet...). And by the time he got out of here, he was shaking from head to toe.

So... it's hard to get him in here to help me. I can do it myself, and he wants me to do it myself where I can, just to avoid him having to come in. But he's also a bit of a control freak, and just can't hardly stand the thought of someone doing something without him. It's a bit of a catch 22.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:29 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 539 Times on 325 Posts

Dude that sucks !

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 01-23-2014, 03:51 AM   #6
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1100 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have never lived in a house with a garbage disposal. Pretty sure they didn't exist before I turned 3yo, and everyplace I have lived since then has had a septic system instead of city sewer. A garbage disposal is not good with a septic system.

I built my house in '02 with all of the amenities except the disposal, I will be out of it by the end of Feb. for reasons I have mentioned on here before (divorce etc.) Now you have me wondering what I am going to miss the most.

I will keep you posted.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:36 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1337 Times on 908 Posts
Likes Given: 1429

I grew up poor & have never had more than I have now, but what I really miss is 50 cent box of .22 LR..............

When all else fails.

People Like This 
Old 01-23-2014, 04:52 AM   #8

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Living on acreage. I grew up on 80 acre and 40 acre farms. I miss the space. As far as amenities go? I've got more now than I've had since I was 6-7 years old.

My garbage disposal is busted lol. I'm broke, two kids, new house, 3 cars blah blah blah on one income. It's very very tight.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

People Like This 
Old 01-23-2014, 05:13 AM   #9

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I miss my Garbage disposal

Old 01-23-2014, 05:24 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2132 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 793

I miss the guy I was before I became a "responsible" person. I miss the Devil may care attitude. I miss the game for anything guy. I miss the guy that started working at 4am, who didn't sleep a wink before coming into work. All I can say is "growing up" sucks.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

People Like This