What do y'all do for a living? - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What do y'all do for a living?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 217 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
Its enough money for me,but im only 20 without to many bills to pay. Once you turn out is when you really start making a living. The first thing my journeyman told me on the job was that you wont get rich in the trade,but you will make a very comfortable living if you do your part and that's good enough for me
Depends where you're at, I started out doing electrical, put 5 years in on the job for a non-union douchebag who refuses to put anyone through apprenticeship cuz he won't pay more than 12 bucks an hour, things went south with that company and now it's impossible to get in anywhere with the construction economy the way it is. The union doesn't get much work here cuz the big nonunion contractors take all the work. I agree if times are good and you are in the union or with a reputable contractor you can make a hell of a living esp in the high paying locals like the Chicago area, if you wanna live in that cesspool, but around here you end up working a couple months then on unemployment the rest of the year or until it runs out, that's why I chose something differenet

Old 03-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFlashGordon View Post
Electronic technician for the last 30+ years. Started in the Army on the H.A.W.K. missile system and then with government contractors after I got out. Have worked on everything from old tube systems all the way through microelectronics and back. Due to security I can't discuss my current job activities.
Many years ago I lived in Las Vegas and had a job in the box for a few years.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #113

Liked 2117 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Animal feed plant manager. Mostly dairy cows up here in WI. Y'all keep buying milk & cheese, keeps me employed.
Yeah, and my cardiologist and bypass surgeon too.
Love the Moo-Juice and all associated products.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #114

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg

Depends where you're at, I started out doing electrical, put 5 years in on the job for a non-union douchebag who refuses to put anyone through apprenticeship cuz he won't pay more than 12 bucks an hour, things went south with that company and now it's impossible to get in anywhere with the construction economy the way it is. The union doesn't get much work here cuz the big nonunion contractors take all the work. I agree if times are good and you are in the union or with a reputable contractor you can make a hell of a living esp in the high paying locals like the Chicago area, if you wanna live in that cesspool, but around here you end up working a couple months then on unemployment the rest of the year or until it runs out, that's why I chose something differenet
Yea it was slow a little bit at the end of the year,there's union and non-union here in Memphis. Im non,but the owner of my company is a good man and will send me to school once the classes start. Its not as big of a company as it used to be and im the only apprentice,the way he sees it your taking care of him and hia family so he's gonna take care if you and yours. Guess im lucky to have gotten in with some honest folks,some buddies of mine weren't so lucky. But yea this trade can deffinamtly be feast and famine sometimes,but I don't wake up in the mornings and dread going to my job so im happy

Old 03-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #115

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Drilling and blasting...heavy equipment and high explosives, not as fun as it sounds. Mortgage crisis crushed us and have been laid off longer than I care to admit... I'm doing stone work, walls, drive/walkways and such. Trying to make a go of it on my own, the thought of working another minute for somebody else is nauseating to me.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 03-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #116

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Thats perfect I just got in with a livestock buyer for AW cherry an sons in bowlingreen ky its 2 rounds per week 4 yards in texas 2 in new mexico all go to bowlingreen ky
Thanks for the offer, im gonna have to pass though. I drove otr for swift and nearly ended up divorced because of it plus i have a 2 1/2 yr old son i like to be around daily.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #117

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong

Yea it was slow a little bit at the end of the year,there's union and non-union here in Memphis. Im non,but the owner of my company is a good man and will send me to school once the classes start. Its not as big of a company as it used to be and im the only apprentice,the way he sees it your taking care of him and hia family so he's gonna take care if you and yours. Guess im lucky to have gotten in with some honest folks,some buddies of mine weren't so lucky. But yea this trade can deffinamtly be feast and famine sometimes,but I don't wake up in the mornings and dread going to my job so im happy
I went to school, spent 4 years doing the work. I enjoyed the job. The last big job I did I was responsible for 6 million dollars worth of material, equipment, and at one point supplying over 50 electricians. Life was moving faster than money. As soon as I left they laid everyone off, still have hardly no work. Non union company however, all non union companies were in a "association." They controlled wages so you really couldn't get ahead. I left making $ 12.75 an hour. I make more in a week now then I made in a month.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
I went to school, spent 4 years doing the work. I enjoyed the job. The last big job I did I was responsible for 6 million dollars worth of material, equipment, and at one point supplying over 50 electricians. Life was moving faster than money. As soon as I left they laid everyone off, still have hardly no work. Non union company however, all non union companies were in a "association." They controlled wages so you really couldn't get ahead. I left making $ 12.75 an hour. I make more in a week now then I made in a month.
Ya it's an enjoyable job i liked it, wish there was a way I could just take the classes on my own and actually go to school to get certified, I have plenty of work experience just no actual school, as far as I'm concerned the whole apprenticeship thing is good and bad, ya it gives people a shot a making a living while learning, but when its the only way to go to learn the trade, it turns it into a "u gotta know somebody to get in" sort of thing. Union apprentices are often someone's son or nephew and guys like me with experience who may have even done better on the testing don't get a shot just cuz I'm not related to any current members. I'll stick with what I'm doin now, its long hours but pays well for what it is, can't beat it with a stick in this area.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #119

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'm not sure how it is where you are, you can test for your license after 6 years. That is proven logged time working. Or 4 years in a approved school, there are schools in ky but, it's about $1800 per semester.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
I'm not sure how it is where you are, you can test for your license after 6 years. That is proven logged time working. Or 4 years in a approved school, there are schools in ky but, it's about $1800 per semester.
i can test in here too but i'd have to have 1 more year of exp or 1 year of related schooling like a manufaturing maintenance program or something, wish they had just plain electricians school when ur done u take test and get ur card, cant do it here