What DID you drink, and wish you hadn't? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What DID you drink, and wish you hadn't?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I cant drink Southern Comfort or Yukon Jack anymore, used to hammer it in college. I really dont remember gettin sick off 'em, but then again I dont remember much of college either
But I cant drink rum. Never even drank it, except a sip here and there by by accident.
Just the smell makes my stomach turn. If ya put a half teaspoon of rum in a liter of coke i'd taste it and want to hurl

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 12-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #12

Absinthe.

That was a rough night, and an even rougher morning.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 12-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think it's official name is Lambanog. But the locals called it Tuba. It's a coconut wine, some called it a coconut vodka, in the Philippines. Here's a Wiki on it:

"Lambanog is distilled in the Philippines, commonly described as coconut wine or coconut vodka. The drink is distilled from the sap of the unopened coconut flower and is particularly potent, having a typical alcohol content of 80 to 90 proof after a single distillation, but may go as high as 166 proof after the second distillation.

As with coconut arrack, the process begins with the sap from the flower of the coconut palm trees. The sap is harvested into bamboo receptacles similar to rubber tree tapping. The collected sap is then put through a cooking or fermentation process to produce a coconut toddy called tuba which can then be distilled to produce Lambanog. Until recent years, Lambanog was considered a local drink comparable to moonshine or other home-brewed alcoholic beverages due to its long history as a cottage industry product.

In the country, Lambanog has recently been marketed in several flavors such as mango, blueberry, bubblegum, and cinnamon among others in an effort to appeal to all age groups"

My Dad was stationed over there when I was in high school. LOL...bad timing. We discovered that stuff one night while out with a few local friends, bar hopping and playing pool Seriously...that's as close to seeing God as I ever want to get again. The locals egged us on, taking straight shots with them, then when the bottle was empty, they poured on the little chunks of fruit (apple chunks, raisins, etc) and started passing them around. If by chance you were coming down off the drink, one bite of those pieces of fruit would have you blasted all over again.

Like the Wiki states, sometimes it goes as high as 166 proof - I don't doubt it at all. We poured some in the bottle cap, placed it on the table. From about a foot, maybe foot and a half away, a lighter would ignite that stuff and burned a real purty transparent BLUE. If any of us had cars back then, I'm sure we would have been pouring that in the tank on Saturday nights

And if you couldn't find the Tuba, there was always San Miguel Beer. One night you could drink a whole case and get a mild buzz going. The next night, a 6-pack would knock your junk in the dirt LOL...ahhhh the quality control. Specially when you occasionally would find a gecko or cockroach in a sealed bottle.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Once I drank a $hit load of 192 proof polish grain alcohol. I was so drunk I couldn't get in the front door of my apartment. I laid down it the gutter next to my pick up and passed out, the only problem with that was it was snowing. My bros found me a little while later covered with snow and carried my into the apartment. I swore off alcohol forever and made it about 3 days. Eventually I quit drinking, it's been 17 years now.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #15

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Slow, I want you to find some of that Lambanog and drink some of that chit, if that is what it will take for you to think about possibly becoming a Supporting Member here.

I would not stick my neck out here, if it was not a positive vibe sir.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 12-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

A South American carpenter I worked with on a bridge in baltimore brought in some homemade spirits in a gallon jar. He said it was a traditional drink back home. The jar was packed full of sticks and herbs and such. I took a shot and about the time I swallowed the shot the I noticed the shellfish floating in the jar.
Clams, oysters or something.
I raced to the bar and slammed 4 buds and three jager's. Didnt help I could still taste that stuff hours later. Dont remember what he called it.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 12-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5737 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I accidentally swallowed my cherry-flavored chewing tobacco when drinking Jagermeister one evening. I hurled soooo much, i still get queasy watching the movie we had playing (My Cousin Vinny). That was the first time i threw up on my on vehicle; luckily, a buddy drove me home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
Once I drank a $hit load of 192 proof polish grain alcohol. I was so drunk I couldn't get in the front door of my apartment. I laid down it the gutter next to my pick up and passed out, the only problem with that was it was snowing. My bros found me a little while later covered with snow and carried my into the apartment. I swore off alcohol forever and made it about 3 days. Eventually I quit drinking, it's been 17 years now.
LOL! I learned to moderate when i woke up face down in a rain puddle, wondering where i was & how i got there one night. I was 20 minutes from the bar & 20 minutes from the house. It took me a while to find my truck, running & parked in front of the small town's city hall/courthouse. I remember having a margarita and a shot or eight. I don't think i've been that hammered on alcohol since. Nowadays, i generally have two mixed drinks & a shot with a nice dinner, maybe a week or less.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 471 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I once drank a whole bottle of OLD CROW. Worst drunk and hangover I ever had. Part of the night is still a mystery.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #19

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
A South American carpenter I worked with on a bridge in baltimore brought in some homemade spirits in a gallon jar. He said it was a traditional drink back home. The jar was packed full of sticks and herbs and such. I took a shot and about the time I swallowed the shot the I noticed the shellfish floating in the jar.
Clams, oysters or something.
I raced to the bar and slammed 4 buds and three jager's. Didnt help I could still taste that stuff hours later. Dont remember what he called it.
Damn that sounds like Cachaca or Pinga. That there is indeed some strong and nasty tasting chit. You gotta have a strong stomach to tolerate that acid drink.

I think we even strained it and used it for helicopter fuel one time.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 12-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Slow, I want you to find some of that Lambanog and drink some of that chit, if that is what it will take for you to think about possibly becoming a Supporting Member here.

I would not stick my neck out here, if it was not a positive vibe sir.

Jack
LOL...that is coming Jack. Sorry it has taken so long. I was ready to send it in, except that same day is when I was notified that the company I just worked 14 years for, was closing their doors

No excuses, I'll be sending in my membership, probably after the holiday, or at least as soon as we have all the gifts taken care of

Don't worry, it's always been positive here. You guys have been great.
Slo