What is the deal with surplus gun shops?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What is the deal with surplus gun shops?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What is the deal with surplus gun shops?

What is the deal with buying stuff from a surplus gun shop? Do you have to have any certain type of license? I always see FFL License Required on their websites; can i not purchase anything without one?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9542 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Well, depends on what you want to buy, and where. If you are face-to-face with a dealer (surplus or otherwise), buy what strikes your fancy. Over the internet, buy whatever surplus you like- EXCEPT FIREARMS. Any firearm made since 1899 that is sold across a state line must pass thru a FFL holder. Find something you like, have a local dealer order for you, gets shipped to him, you do paperwork with him. The ONLY exception that I know of is buying from the Civilian Marksmanship Program- they CAN ship a rifle directly to you, but there is still paperwork to do.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

When you see "FFL required," look to see what it says. You're looking for "03FFL." That is the Collector of Curios and Relics license. Anyone who can pass a background check can get one from the BATFE for $30. They're good for three years. This FFL will allow you to buy directly from online dealers of guns over fifty years old, or listed on the C&R list put out by the BATFE. Guns will be mailed directly to your door!!!!

Some online vendors will also give you discounts on other items. The 03FFL is a great way to collect surplus and older weapons...and to go broke.

9x18=Makarov

Old 03-16-2009, 09:17 PM   #4

So if i understand correctly as long as I am not purchasing firearms online I do not need the ffl license. Is that correct?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Some sites want you to register anyway and you can't see prices and such without doing so, like Southern Ohio Gun. The CMP website states you must be a member of an affiliated group to buy ammo. If you belong to your state shooting sports association or rifle and pistol association you qualify. Here's a list of their affiliated members.

There are plenty of online ammo dealers if that's all you're looking for:

Graf and Sons

J&G Sales

SurplusAmmo.com

Ammoman.com

Cheaper Than Dirt

The websites will list the purchase requirements. There's plenty more, just search for ammo dealers....

9x18=Makarov

Old 03-16-2009, 11:33 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9542 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

To add to what Scott said about the CMP, members (and retired members) of the Armed Forces meet their requirements for associations and participation. Matter of fact, if you are an officer, a copy of your ID card also meets the requirements for citizenship.

If you are buying something besides a firearm on line, then FFL not required. And yes, an 03 C&R FFL is a lot of fun. downside- you stay broke!

Old 03-17-2009, 02:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Some sites want you to register anyway and you can't see prices and such without doing so, like Southern Ohio Gun. The CMP website states you must be a member of an affiliated group to buy ammo. If you belong to your state shooting sports association or rifle and pistol association you qualify. Here's a list of their affiliated members.
Actually the reason I ask is because I am going to buy a rifle, AK, and am trying to decide if I want to go through a surplus gun shop or pick one up at a gun show.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:32 AM   #8

"Curio & Relic" applies to certain classes of firearms. Being "more than fifty year old" is no criterion. The age criterion is mfg'd before 1899 -- and that's not about how old it is, it's about when it was mfg'd. The date was 1899 ten years ago, and will be 1899 ten years hence.

Makarov pistols and I think maybe CZ-52 used to be Curio & Relic. A lot of Mausers and Mosins are "C & R" . . .

You get a "C & R" license from the BATF and then keep purchases recorded in a "bound book." This does not provide you a license to become a distributor of "C & R."

Old 03-17-2009, 03:47 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Truth the easy answer is to pick it up at a gun show, most shows will qualify you to be a buyer but it's far easier and better as you get to inspect your purchase in hand prior to making the deal.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Truth the easy answer is to pick it up at a gun show, most shows will qualify you to be a buyer but it's far easier and better as you get to inspect your purchase in hand prior to making the deal.
Thats probably what I will do then. Thanks for the info everyone i really appreciate it. I learned alot.