What a day Yesterday
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What a day Yesterday

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Default What a day Yesterday

Ok So we get up and head out to a classic car show. The bad thing was no hot rods or modified cars . Oh well lots of good looking old cars out. Did a little geocaching while we were there. Then right as we finish up I get a cal from a buddy hey man what are you doing. Nothing just got done with the car show. Good lets go shoot some ground hogs. OK So we go home and I switch stocks because my laminated one is much more heavy than my injection molded plastic SPS take off. I change cloths gather up the needed stuff ammo glasses and water. We head out to the ranch and 4 minutes after we get there first hog down The 223 Barked and laid that groud hog wide open at 250 yards. Not bad for the first centerfire shot of the season.

Next one was 285 OSOK DRT oh the joys of success. Then My buddy pulls out his loudenboomer stoutenkicker (As he calls it) it is a Weatherby Vanguard in 257 weatherby mag with a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x50mm loaded with 100gr HP (The biggest HP I had ever seen by the way) it was over 75.2gr of IMR 4831 Let me tell you 308 yards later the 100 gr hp connected with hog #3 which did a cartwheel into the wood line.

Next up was what we thought was a big azz hog. I pull up and fire jump runs in a circle for a minute or two. At that time we realize that was not a hog it was a coon out in the middle of the day time. Good thing I whacked it at 200 yards. Took off and walked into another field and we were creeping along a wood line when Hog #4 ran out and stood up at 178 yards and he got whacked with a off hand head shot by the 223. God I love this rifle. Shooting slowed down for a while as we let things cool off. Hog #6 was my buddies 175 yards blew his guts out and he still ran to the hole the SOB was motivated blood all over the place.

Hog #7 and last on of the day was a 225 yard shot my buddy made with the 270 Wmag 186 yards on a young hog OMG that hog didn't have a good day. He was laying there in a pool of blood and internal organs that were now external organs. He was open from the chin to his bung hole and there was blood over a 10' radius just awesomely gruesome. Over all a very good day with some good stress relief after a long 3 weeks of SOL testing.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #2

lmao, wow! Better hope hog #6 doesnt get patched up and comes after you like Benny Blanco from the Bronx. I cant wait for my 1st hunting experience. What do you do with the bodys? .....do you eat them?

Old 06-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #3

No eating of ground hogs but I am sure they would taste somewhat like beef as they eat the same thing just a little more fat. We take the bodies and throw them back in a hole. Or feed them to the yotes and raptors.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
No eating of ground hogs but I am sure they would taste somewhat like beef as they eat the same thing just a little more fat. We take the bodies and throw them back in a hole. Or feed them to the yotes and raptors.
Ground hog does taste pretty good. The younger ones taste better. Of course with any wild animal, trim as much of the fat as possible as it is the fat that gives the "gamey" taste. Also, it is better if the animal is killed when the weather is still cold. Once the mites and worbles and tics get on the animal, it is not really fit to eat. Just my $.02.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #5

Still ain't eatin them SOB's

Old 06-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #6

Default Sounds Familiar

I hit a groundhog on my fathers old ranch with my p226 in .357SIG from about 65 yards and the results were pretty graphic. The Gold Dot Hollow Point hit him under his chin in the neck and the whole backside of his head kind of looked like a split peach without the pit. Nasty blood spray of about seven feet behind him 2. Got the job done.

All it takes for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing....

Old 06-10-2009, 04:04 AM   #7

My buddy had his Cold Gold Cup on his side. Me I didn't grab mine. But I too would have been packin gold dots. That would have been some cool shooting. I wonder if I could take one out at 100 yards with my 45acp. Need to do a little more long range work with her.