Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   What To Buy?! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/what-buy-10384/)

Silver Trigger 01-28-2009 08:12 PM

What To Buy?!

Hi. I'm new to the site and have a few questions. I'm buying a new pistol but I'm having problems figuring out what I want and whats best for my family. I'm looking at the SIG 229, A kimber pro carry, and a springfield XDM to name my top 3. I was looking at "the judge" but a lot of people discouraged me to buy it. I've only ever owned or put rounds through a handfull of pistols to include a ruger .45, .44mag Desert Eagle, Beretta M9 and ninty two, 357 revolver and several rifles. What I'm looking for is something for home defense as well as carry when need be. I work on a government facility so carrying isn't the main focus but I would like it for an option. Any thoughts or experiences? Any feedback would be aperciated. Thx
Trigger

canebrake 01-28-2009 08:16 PM

Welcome Silver Trigger and glad to have you here.

You asked, here's my suggestion; A Colt, Commander LW chambered in 45 ACP.

You will not be disappointed.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...olt_logo_s.jpg

Bighead 01-29-2009 09:52 AM

If you are familiar with the function of the 1911 (and anyone likely to have to deploy it being familiar as well) I think a commander sized 1911 would be an excellent choice. I like the .45 ACP, and this gun will have a carry advantage over your other choices because of the slim width and shorter grip.

The XD(m) is an excellent pistol. The striker-fire and no manual safety makes it a better choice for those with less overall experience. The grip is quite long, but that is because of the high-capacity which I see as an advantage for a home defense piece.

The SIG229 (or any pistol in the full-size SIG lineup) would be a good choice as well. While the heavy first trigger pull is not liked by many avid shooters, it does have an advantage for those in your home with less experience who might not keep their finger off the trigger during an emergency. The negative of this is many people will neglect to hit the decock after a stress shooting, especially if they have limited training on the gun. Overall I wonder if the DAK trigger might be the best option in SIG, but I can't speak to it since I've never fired the DAK trigger.

So of your choices, a quality 1911 and the XD(m) are tied for first IMHO, with the SIG229 coming in 2nd.

If I was recommending a firearm that might be deployed by anyone in the home, and which would be carried occasionally my recommendation would probably be the Glock 19 (midsize 9mm). Overall size is very good for a carry gun, has a excellent capacity (15 rounds), and has the best pricepoint of any gun we've discussed here.

Good Luck with your choice.

Silver Trigger 01-29-2009 12:42 PM

Hey I appreciate the help fellas. If I do end up with a 1911 I'll probably be dropping the money on a Kimber. The fit and finish of them is beautiful and the "pro carry treatment" has me interested. Plus it's a Kimber. But to be honest I'm leaning on the XDm. It's got the gear. The price is right. and the .40 should be fine on House Hold 6. I'll let yea what i decide to run with. Thx

SlamFire 01-29-2009 06:43 PM

Kimbers are WAY over rated, over priced. A 1911 is a specialized handgun, not the best choice for CCW for all sorts of reasons, function and size being the top two on the list.

Last count I had over two dozen handguns, have sold/traded others. Still looking for the "ideal carry" gun. I like a Kahr MK9 (9mm) and a Smith Mod. 60 in .357 mag. (And yes, I own three 1911's -- 2 Springfields and a "Remington Rand" military issue.)

You want "home defense" security . . . Get a Rem. 870 or a Mossberg, 12 gauge.

Dillinger 01-29-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlamFire (Post 66444)
Kimbers are WAY over rated, over priced. A 1911 is a specialized handgun, not the best choice for CCW for all sorts of reasons, function and size being the top two on the list.

And EPIC FAIL!!

Perhaps you have heard the name Jeff Cooper? He has some counter thoughts on your opinion that you might want to consider.

“It has never been clear to me why increased magazine capacity in a defensive pistol is particularly choice. The bigger the magazine the bigger the gun, and the bigger the gun the harder it is to get hold of for people with small hands. And what, pray, does one need all those rounds for? How many lethal antagonists do you think you are going to be able to handle? Once when Bruce Nelson was asked by a suspect if the thirteen-round magazine in the P35 was not a big advantage, Bruce's answer was, "Well, yes, if you plan to miss a lot."

"The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

If you think you can't conceal a 1911 in day to day carry - You're Doing it Wrong.....

JD

Silver Trigger 01-29-2009 09:35 PM

Hmm nice sell on the 1911 Dillenger. Though your preachin' to the choir. Alaways been a big fan of the 1911. In anycase I'm going to be putting round downrange with the kimber ultra carry and CDP when I go test it out so I'll tell you if I think they're over rated. Though to be honest, I never thought matchgrade parts were over rated. Expensive yes but over rated?

bobbyb13 01-29-2009 10:03 PM

I dearly love the Browning HI-Power but,

There is no better than the 1911 platform, or 45 ACP round for stopping power.
Dillinger +1

chopkick 01-29-2009 10:12 PM

Well trigger, I own a Kimber CDP ProCarry and it is my primary CCW carry weapon. The 1911 is an extremely user friendly design. it is very concealable. And I have full confidence in its ability as well as mine to defend myself or anyone else.
I also have a Sig 229 in 9mm. Awesome firearm and also very concealable.

JiroZero713 01-29-2009 10:35 PM

All your choices are good....although the Pro Carry has a funky disassemble that they NEEEEED to fix. I don't want to use a 'paper clip' type thing to get it to take it apart.

My CCW I would take if I was at the age would be a CZ RAMI in .40 Cal

I'm not a big .40 cal man as I am either a 9 MM or .45 guy but I'd rather have that over 9 mm in CCW

http://www.pishtov.com/CZ/PicCZ_2075_m40.jpg

And it's a sexy gun and a perfect pocket pistol.