What branch? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What branch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 04:23 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4885 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
I have another question, Im a righty but what happens when there are left handed soldiers? do they issue lefty m16s?
I've been out for 16 years but I highly doubt it.

Any soldier should bs able to pick up any other soldiers weapon and fight with it.

It would also create a logistical nightmare for replacement bolt parts.

Besides, that's what the the big bump behind the ejection port is for... "brass deflector".

Tack

Old 02-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #32

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

No matter what you choose to do while in the military your advanced MOS training will be based on how well you do on The Armed Forces Vocational Aptitude Battery, (known as ASVAB). The higher your score gives you a chance to be selected for better advanced MOS (military Occupation Specialty) training. I suggest you google, Ace the ASVAB, and take the practice tests. Being a grunt and falling out of airplanes is fun when you are young but no fun after you reach your 30's and 40's.

I wish you luck and I am sure, if you enlist, you will enjoy the military. I did and miss it every day.......

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #33

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Beastie, realistically, your chances at special forces are not that great.

Here's an approximation of how the process works, and it will vary with each branch. This is very, VERY, condensed and simplified.

You join. Boot camp. Specialty training. Maybe advanced specialty training if your job calls for it. Oh, I didn't mention, you don't sign up for special forces. Like with any other highly specialized profession, first you learn, then you do your time in the trenches, then you have to apply. You don't go from community college to the operating room.

Speaking of which, college will help. Yes, the Navy SEALs, green berets, delta... They look at that.

Be in tip top shape. Anything less than perfect is not good enough. Many times, even perfect isn't good enough.

Then, tryouts. You'll go through a selection process that can take months. Then, if your selected, you may have to wait for a new training cycle to start.

In the meantime, you'll be kept busy. Very busy.

Not many people who try, are ever selected. Not all who are selected even get to start training, depending on circumstances. Very few who start training, finish.

The funny thing is, especially in the case of SEALs, once you finish training, you get even MORE training before ever gong to the teams.

For SEALs, start to finish, can sometimes take upwards of four years after selection, until you get to the teams. That's after you usually do at least 8 years, or are in your second four year term, before they'll even consider you.

You don't even know if you'll even like the military for sure. But, your gonna have a minimum of 4 years to find out.

I applaud your decision to join. I know your mind is made up in that regard. I did it at 17.

Best thing to do? Keep on the straight and narrow. Keep your chin up. Never forget your ultimate goal. Constantly work towards that goal. Maybe one day you'll get there.

There is a lot of good advice in this thread - bobsi, tacklebeerry, ...

But understand that your chances of getting into elite forces is very slim - not to discourage you - but to get you to think realistically. You must plan for yourself, first - your future. The service elite schools are populated by people that have gone through a ton of work and agony to get there - the competition is fierce. They have also had to go through the informal selection processes - who likes you. That stuff is very real and very inflexible. You make one upper person mad - for whatever reason - and your career can be immediately changed forever. That is one very bad thing about the military - your future is not much in your hands - but is "in the stars" it seems at times.
The military will take care of you - no matter what - but progression is not guaranteed.

I have a friend. He finished West Point (very difficult to get in!) College degree now, of course (West Point - very very well respected). He liked the spy and special forces stuff. He pursued that. Went to intelligence (spy) schools. Was difficult to get into - but he was then an officer (West Point graduate, remember) and he was favored - because he was in the Army - and out of West Point - It's hard to get more favored than that in the Army. Finished a bunch of intelligence schools.
Decided he wanted to get into special forces - Rangers. With his background - he made it to Ranger school. (after all, Lieutenant, West Point, intelligence,... how could you get more qualified). Made it through Ranger school - worked his butt off all these years in West Point and all the special schools - lots of mud. He's a Ranger now. Sent to Afghanistan last year. Now he sits - and sits - says it's the most boring place he's ever been - so very backward - poor - Oh - and boring. Don't know what is next for him but I'm wondering - he's too high powered - wants more out of life than what he is seeing in the Army.
You've got to watch out for your own life - plan ...

Side point - college makes a huge difference in your positions in the services. To be an officer - takes a college degree. To be an officer - you have much much greater potential jobs and responsibilities. If you want to go to college and go in the service - the services will help pay for it - you join ROTC in college - Google it.

The Air Force - very very few people fly the airplanes - you have to be an officer (college degree first) then pass huge physicals - then huge training - and don't was out along the way - many do. Then what ... You must plan for YOUR future.
Most people in the Air Force are supporting the flying in some way or another. I knew one guy that became a machine gunner on a special operations plane a couple of years ago - he did it because he wanted to... But it took a lot of competition and work. As everything does - if you're looking for the good stuff.
the services are a very fine thing. But be realistic about how it works - what your chances are - have back-up plans - for YOUR future. And remember - you will get out - and where will you be career-wise when you get out. Will you be wishing you were like some friends who pursued other paths.
My own son is this one friends cousin (the one I described). He did not go into the service. He finished business school - I started him in investing years ago (11 years old). He and I rehabbed an old house beside his college - which he lived in and now rents out. He is now (at 26 years old) with a major investment firm - promoted to a 6 figure salary already.
He has a friend (same age, as is the Ranger - they are all friends - they grew up together) who graduated Mechanical Engineering school (4 year degree) worked at Honda for a short while, worked for Apple for about a year, then went to Harvard business school for MBA - but has quit that to start his own business. Has found investors giving him a financial start - travels to China much - settling up manufacturing - He is doing all this strictly on his own so far. So The Ranger guy looks at this China guy and looks at my son and says - Hmmmm.... he's thinking. my son is looking at China guy and thinking ...
---- Oh! None of these guys comes from family money background - it's just been ideas, positive thinking, and work with them.

You've got to plan your future. Where do you want to end up??
This is your life - and YOU can do ANYTHING you want to do. You can head any direction. But try to figure out where you want to be after the years go by - because they will go by - and you will end up - a result of your planing.

And don't get shot. That wrecks your future.

Last edited by Colby; 02-16-2013 at 07:06 AM.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #34

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

The Marine Corps teach you new reserves of strength and skill. Everyone has a job and every job is important. No matter your choice in branch or MOS, work hard and do your best. Depending on how things you go, you can. Apply for a special training school for. Secondary MOS. but just be you.

On a side note. Marine Corps all the way. Yut Yut. Semper Fidelis.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #35

Liked 393 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As I said in another thread on the same subject. Regardless what branch you decide on, first attend college, get a degree then a commission. There's nothing character building about cleaning the grease trap or standing guard duty in the rain at 3am. Gave my son the same advice.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #36

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman3 View Post
You don't like flying but realize spec ops get everywhere by flying, at least at first. If you like being shot at then don't go navy unless you want SEAL because its the only way in.
Become a Navy Corpsman & join a Marine unit-
Ours got shot at a lot

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Vincine Likes This 
Old 02-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
As I said in another thread on the same subject. Regardless what branch you decide on, first attend college, get a degree then a commission. There's nothing character building about cleaning the grease trap or standing guard duty in the rain at 3am. Gave my son the same advice.
Nothing wrong with it either---------Everyone can't be a officer, someone has to do the job!

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Vincine Likes This 
Old 02-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #38

Liked 1778 Times on 919 Posts
Likes Given: 1353

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Become a Navy Corpsman & join a Marine unit-
Ours got shot at a lot
Does a Navy medic in a Marine unit get Marine basic training? How does that work, having a person with Navy 'training', with a Marine unit in a combat zone?

Old 02-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Does a Navy medic in a Marine unit get Marine basic training? How does that work, having a person with Navy 'training', with a Marine unit in a combat zone?
You know i never thought about that?
I have a friend in Fl that i'll have to ask about that - He's a old Corpsman & Nam Vet --

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
You know i never thought about that?
I have a friend in Fl that i'll have to ask about that - He's a old Corpsman & Nam Vet --
Straight from the horses mouth

Hey Doc- a subject came up --What if any combat training with the Marine Corps is or was involved as a Naval Corpsman?

8:15am
Anthony "Doc"
Almost all of it!!! If you did not get it in FMF School you got it in the field with your Platoon or on the field of battle, and if you choose to go Marine Corps Regs you have to meet all of their physical standards.
You get trained on weapons, patrol, entries, everything a Marine Rifleman does, you do the Marine Swim Quals, Land navigation, CBRD, SERE, and I was with Anglico so I went to Jump School.
If you are with Force recon you will get other training. I also was trained in Comm and how to call in Stikes and naval Gunfire, I can set-up an LZ, and call in the bird.

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET