Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What was the best thing you found?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 03:27 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7560 Times on 3293 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Not me- a find by my Stepmother. She was raised by grandparents. After Granny (a devout 7th day Adventist from back in the hills on the VA/NC border) passed away, stepmom was packing up and clearing stuff out. Found a trunk in the attic that had belonged to GREAT grandmother.

Who, as it turned out, had been a mail order bride. And had been married 3 times before that! AND had been a dance hall girl. AND one of the items in the trunk was one of these...
Name:  baby hammerless.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  24.6 KB

THAT is a Baby Hammerless- caliber .22 Short. 1 inch bbl. There was a half box of black powder 22 ammo with it.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 06-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16825 Times on 9750 Posts
Likes Given: 43881

many years ago, my father bought about 400 acres of land that we found a bunch of neat stuff on it. he has a few hundred of the old glass insulators they used on the old wooden crossbarred power line poles. some are clear and some are a green colored glass. there was an old log horse barn with a loft and we found a huge bunch of old horseshoes. there was an old shotgun style house that we found a bunch of old newspapers from the 1940's. there was an old pecan tree that had a hickory tree grafted onto it. wee found some old, old logging equipment down in the bottoms. some type of old crawler tractor and an old logging truck from the 1950's IIRC.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:24 AM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7332 Times on 4250 Posts
Likes Given: 9432

Pennies before 1982 were 95% copper (except for the steel ones produced during WW2) There are some that have numismatic (collector) value. Take a look her for some general info- http://www.coinflation.com/about.html

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:24 AM   #14

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Axxe 55, There were miles of old decommissioned wooden electric poles across the high desert. They were all left with the big glass insulators on the cross arms. They made wonderful targets for my .220 Swift when the Prairie Dogs holed up.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:25 AM   #15

Oh. If anybody has found my marbles please contact me.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
NC1760 Likes This 
Old 06-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Axxe 55, There were miles of old decommissioned wooden electric poles across the high desert. They were all left with the big glass insulators on the cross arms. They made wonderful targets for my .220 Swift when the Prairie Dogs holed up.
Those are all over the country, not just the high desert. I often wonder why they are still there nowadays as the lines have long ago been decommissioned and the glass has collector value (not sure how much though) and I imagine that the wire has a high copper content. I see those poles all along all of the rail rights of way pretty much everywhere. I imagine these are actually old telegraph poles.

Quote:

Last edited by Vikingdad; 06-13-2013 at 04:33 AM.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2226 Times on 1446 Posts

I found my grandpas licence plate off his Indian motorcycle, and that was after the house had been through severalnon family owners. I found my greatx3 uncles tomahawk/hatchet, and an old broken file that I made a knife from. A few nice arrowheads have found their way to my eyes.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 06-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #18

Liked 268 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Those are all over the country, not just the high desert. I often wonder why they are still there nowadays as the lines have long ago been decommissioned and the glass has collector value (not sure how much though) and I imagine that the wire has a high copper content. I see those poles all along all of the rail rights of way pretty much everywhere. I imagine these are actually old telegraph poles.
Those old wires, weather they be single conductor signal wire or 2 conductor "C" Rural wire, are usually copper doped steel wire. Not worth much.

The poles that are left up are usually still in a utility easment even though they are not being used. Also, the easement may be being used with undeground cables or may be used again in the future.

The glass insulators are the only thing that may be worth anything, but get caught climbing those poles and retrieving them or the wire without a utility company work order and it's jail time. Actually if they catch you shooting at them it can be jail time as well. Utility companies and railroads are strange that way.

Last edited by mrm14; 06-13-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #19

Liked 616 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 578

A Winchester 1895.... It was sitting in pieces in the back of a closet...

People Like This