wha? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

wha?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6791 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
is there really anything wrong with have a beer and shooting? I'm not talking about being drunk but have one or two beers and doing some shooting, when I was younger when and I would go shooting with my uncles and them there was usually someone with a beer in there hand.

Don't get me wrong I'm against impaired shooting.

but is there anything really wrong with having a beer and shooting?
Im not going to go all psycho on ya. I just want to toss it this out there for thought.

A person or business should do their level best to use reasonably easy ways to lower personal liability. Normally i think whatiffing is useless unless it involves looking at things that happen on a regular basis. So what if your out shooting, you and your buds have one sip each of alcohol you now got x ammount of open containers. Or even worse you have open containers but no one has drank anything yet and bob shoots a rifle it ricochets off an unseen object and wounds or kills a nearby unseen person.

The very fact you have open alcoholic beverages regardless of consumption turns a non-criminal accidental shooting into a felony unintentional homicide.

Just something to think about. Your a grown man you can make your own choices without me yelling at ya
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 12-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #12

Liked 1417 Times on 838 Posts
Likes Given: 437

It all depends on the circumstances and the people involved. If you are in a small group of known friends and you all have a high level of firearms knowledge and practice safe handling of firearms, the risk is minimal. Would I go so far as to recommend doing it, no but then I also wouldn't recommend doing many of the things that I do myself.

If there are strangers in the group or your at a public range where people come and go. I would avoid alcohol completely and avoid those who are drinking.

I have no idea on the legalities of having a drink while handling firearms.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #13

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

There are people I wouldn't trust with a sharp stick even if they were stone cold sober.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #14

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
It all depends on the circumstances and the people involved. If you are in a small group of known friends and you all have a high level of firearms knowledge and practice safe handling of firearms, the risk is minimal. Would I go so far as to recommend doing it, no but then I also wouldn't recommend doing many of the things that I do myself.

If there are strangers in the group or your at a public range where people come and go. I would avoid alcohol completely and avoid those who are drinking.

I have no idea on the legalities of having a drink while handling firearms.
This is the camp I am in. I've been shooting at people's private lands/ranges where someone or a few people might have a beer. But everyone knew everyone else very well and they all where very knowledgeable in all things firearms. I never was one to drink and shoot back when I still drank but the guys that did in these situations didn't bother me at all.

What the OP described in his second post seemed to me it was more a we're out camping and doing some shooting/hunting and when in camp had some beers. That don't even seem to be mixing the two. I might be misunderstanding the situation but if it is the case then unless you are waking up still drunk or hungover or something the next day they are not drinking and shooting. They are getting their shooting done the headed back to camp and having some beers. I don't think many of us remove all the guns from our homes to tip a frosty barley pop. And somehow things end up OK.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #15

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I used to go to dove shoots (I don't call that hunting) at my uncle's house, and there was always beer around.

But here's the deal, everyone would go out for the morning shoot, and around noon or a little earlier we would break for lunch. Cook some of the kill, break out the beer and usually some fish and leftover deer from the last season, and have a good time.

The ones who drank were very conspicuously missing from the afternoon shoot. They stayed at the house.

A lot if those guys were people I had no respect for at all, but they earned a little respect from me then because there was no "rule" on my uncle's place about drinking and shooting, they took it upon themselves to unload and lock up their guns when they cracked open their first beer.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think Fireguy said it pretty well. The Antifirearms community will use anything to further "justify" their cause, and alcohol with firearms is not a very good mix to begin with. If I want a drink while shooting I'll just grab a Gatorade or diet soda.

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 12-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #17
fmj

Liked 754 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 306

on another thread i told a tale of being stalked by a big cat whilst in deer camp....up until that night (or day i discovered the evil plot ) I (we) had a rule, handed down from a long line of hunters in deer camp, that all guns were unloaded and hung on the rack (no safes or trigger lock insanity back then) before the festivities began.

Well, i am here to tell you that that rule is no longer viable. I WILL have my 1911, 686, Model 4, and Rem. 131 FULLY loaded and in condition 1 WHILE i am drinking in deer camp!(deer camp is a tent in the middle of a couple million acres of forest) One never knows when a wolf(ves), a cougar or (unlikely due to time of year) a bear will decide to wander into camp and make ME a snack!

But yeah, normally, both activities (shooting and drinking...both i enjoy) are mutually exclusive. Its just a common sense kinda thing. when i am at the range i am stone cold sober. I hit the wobbly pops after the session.

Concealed carry gun: I, unlike some, DO NOT take out my gun and show it off (as is/was the case in AZL's (why the change in monicker man?) tragic tale) like its some type of toy or conversation piece. Sober, drunk, no matter. Its concealed and it STAYS concealed until its "worst moment of my life time"

I also know/have known idiots that think their gun is a toy and have narrowly avoided tragedy....as stated above, some sober or drunk, cant be trusted with a pointy stick much less a knife or gun. "YOU CANT FIX STUPID!"

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #18

Liked 3239 Times on 1624 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Much the same as driving. There is no upside to be had.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 12-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #19

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Back in my younger dumber days I used to shoot grounds squirrels while drinking beers. That all changed after I got a concealed carry permit. That was enough to sober me up and fly right thereafter. Of course moving away from those good shooting grounds helped a lot too. Darn they were sure fun to shoot!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 12-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #20
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8798 Times on 5253 Posts
Likes Given: 11665

Personally, I would not have even one sip of beer while shooting. That's just me. When I take anyone shooting, I make it clear there will be no alcohol consumption until AFTER shooting.

I do believe it might have been me commenting on the other thread that prompted UncleBear to start this thread.

Newest Threads