Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > wha?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Default wha?

is there really anything wrong with have a beer and shooting? I'm not talking about being drunk but have one or two beers and doing some shooting, when I was younger when and I would go shooting with my uncles and them there was usually someone with a beer in there hand.

Don't get me wrong I'm against impaired shooting.

but is there anything really wrong with having a beer and shooting?

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
dmp

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

No. Unless 'a beer' get's you shat-faced.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #3

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

The only thing wrong with drinking alcohol and using firearms is if it goes past the point of "a drink, or a beer". Anti gunners may even use an observance of the two activities together to attempt to further their cause. To someone not in your group, or someone who does not know you sees a bottle of Jack sitting on the shooting bench it can give a very negative impression of all firearm enthusiasts.

Personally, I have only enjoyed adult beverages after hunting or shooting as opposed to while pulling the trigger.
Gatorade, tea, or water are usually my choice to wet my whistle when I am out with the guns.

We as a group of sportsmen are constantly being scrutinized and must put the best face on display that we can. If shooting in a private place it becomes easier. Reaching into a cooler for a cold one in sight of a passerby while holding a gun wearing a shell vest and getting seen by some suburban soccer mom probably doesn't leave a good impression.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 12-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #4

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

what fireguy said, and don't forget the big falp over guns and alochol with Dick Chanie when he drank a beer and shot a lawyer.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is kind of a loaded question... no pun intended. It's like asking if it's ok to drive a car while drinking a beer. It all depends on the person and knowing your limitations. Firearms should always be respected and operated safely.

Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Browning SA-22 .22LR; Savage 93R17 GV .17HMR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger SR1911 .45ACP; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR

Old 12-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just absolutely everything.

Really? You are asking this question?

One beer DOES equal SOME level of impairment. Number one, it shows immediate impairment in JUDGEMENT.

In EVERY jurisdiction I know of consumption of alcohol while in possession of a firearm is illegal...and not just a civil infraction.

Then, if you take it a small step further....IF there is a negligent discharge amd someone is hurt or property is damaged...and you have consumed even a thimble full of alcohol...you are completely screwed. It could (and in my opinion SHOULD) be raised to the level of a felony.

It can easily be proven that you were in possession of a power which you didn't have the ability to control, and therefore were negligent and CRIMINALLY liable for it's misuse.

Again.....SCREWED.

How hard is it to load the cooler with water, juice, and soft drinks while shooting and saving the beer for AFTERWARD when the guns and ammo are all safely locked up?

Talk about redneck and hillbilly dumb****ness...."Heeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyy Bubba...I got the shotguns....y'all grab the beer! Yeeeeeehhhhaaaaaawwwwwwwwww!" I come from a LONG line of rednecks and my Pap would have beat us black and blue if we ever broke open a 12-pack while we were shooting.

Wait...how about if we ask THIS question: "Is it okay to smoke a bowl and go shooting?"

OR......"Hey...let's do a line of coke, and go shooting. One line won't hurt."

YOU may be the very pillar of restraint and grooviness when you'va had a beer or two....but what about your dip**** friend who shows his ass EVERY TIME he drinks? You know you have THAT friend. What happens when HE gets one or two in him and tries some "trick shootin'"?

Really?

Do you drive after consuming "one or two beers?"

Every douchebag I ever arrested for DUI only EVER had "One or two beers".

Every douchebag I ever arrested for vehicular manslaughter only ever had "One or two beers".

A four year old kid I had to watch get put onto a gurney, then into a BODY BAG, had a daddy who ONLY HAD ONE OR TWO BEERS before he brought out his Taurus Pt92 to show off at the BBQ. That was a minute or two before he put a bullet through the brain of his kid.

It is exactly the OPPOSITE of okay to shoot while drinking...PERIOD.

Why don't you ask Mas Ayoob, Clint Smith, Rob Pincus, Marty Hayes...or ANY cop or armed professional if it's okay to have "one or two beers" and train with them.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #7

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

well to be honest i just thought i would throw this out there I saw another thread about what "what gun do you carry while camping" and we always have beer when we go camping and we always take guns. Then i started looking through some old photo albums and every picture of my gramps or my uncle they either have a beer or a gun in there hands or both. So I just thought I would throw it out there and ask...

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thoes two things DONT GO TOGETHER!

Old 12-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #9

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL
Just absolutely everything.

Really? You are asking this question?

One beer DOES equal SOME level of impairment. Number one, it shows immediate impairment in JUDGEMENT.

In EVERY jurisdiction I know of consumption of alcohol while in possession of a firearm is illegal...and not just a civil infraction.

Then, if you take it a small step further....IF there is a negligent discharge amd someone is hurt or property is damaged...and you have consumed even a thimble full of alcohol...you are completely screwed. It could (and in my opinion SHOULD) be raised to the level of a felony.

It can easily be proven that you were in possession of a power which you didn't have the ability to control, and therefore were negligent and CRIMINALLY liable for it's misuse.

Again.....SCREWED.

How hard is it to load the cooler with water, juice, and soft drinks while shooting and saving the beer for AFTERWARD when the guns and ammo are all safely locked up?

Talk about redneck and hillbilly dumb****ness...."Heeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyy Bubba...I got the shotguns....y'all grab the beer! Yeeeeeehhhhaaaaaawwwwwwwwww!" I come from a LONG line of rednecks and my Pap would have beat us black and blue if we ever broke open a 12-pack while we were shooting.

Wait...how about if we ask THIS question: "Is it okay to smoke a bowl and go shooting?"

OR......"Hey...let's do a line of coke, and go shooting. One line won't hurt."

YOU may be the very pillar of restraint and grooviness when you'va had a beer or two....but what about your dip**** friend who shows his ass EVERY TIME he drinks? You know you have THAT friend. What happens when HE gets one or two in him and tries some "trick shootin'"?

Really?

Do you drive after consuming "one or two beers?"

Every douchebag I ever arrested for DUI only EVER had "One or two beers".

Every douchebag I ever arrested for vehicular manslaughter only ever had "One or two beers".

A four year old kid I had to watch get put onto a gurney, then into a BODY BAG, had a daddy who ONLY HAD ONE OR TWO BEERS before he brought out his Taurus Pt92 to show off at the BBQ. That was a minute or two before he put a bullet through the brain of his kid.

It is exactly the OPPOSITE of okay to shoot while drinking...PERIOD.

Why don't you ask Mas Ayoob, Clint Smith, Rob Pincus, Marty Hayes...or ANY cop or armed professional if it's okay to have "one or two beers" and train with them.
Legit question. No need to go all ape **** on the guy, and to imply that he's a redneck hillbilly dumbass is a bit much. He's been around here for a bit and is a pretty well respected young member of our group, shows pretty good judgment in how he conducts himself, and to go off like that over a rhetorical question is not okay.

FWIW, I don't drink before or while shooting either, and wouldn't be caught on a range with anyone else who has or is drinking. As you stated, but as has also been proven by medical research, a single alcoholic drink can impair a person's judgment. I've seen too many injuries by sober people, no need to increase the chances.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Legit question. No need to go all ape **** on the guy, and to imply that he's a redneck hillbilly dumbass is a bit much. He's been around here for a bit and is a pretty well respected young member of our group, shows pretty good judgment in how he conducts himself, and to go off like that over a rhetorical question is not okay.

FWIW, I don't drink before or while shooting either, and wouldn't be caught on a range with anyone else who has or is drinking. As you stated, but as has also been proven by medical research, a single alcoholic drink can impair a person's judgment. I've seen too many injuries by sober people, no need to increase the chances.
I didn't call HIM anything. I "likened the bahavior" which is a different thing all together WHILE claiming a LONG redneck heritage of my own.

It IS an issue of which I am pretty sensitive...especially after watching a 4 year old with only PART OF A HEAD left get put into a bag because someone had to drink and play with their gun.

Personally, I don't give a damn if the POPE wants to open some wine and play with his Beretta...I will LIKEN THAT BEHAVIOR to that of a dumbass hillbilly redneck.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.