Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A Well-Planned Retirement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 619 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default A Well-Planned Retirement

A Well-Planned Retirement - And no one even knows his name.

Quote:
Outside England's Bristol Zoo there is a parking lot for 150 cars and 8 buses. For 25 years, its parking fees were managed by a very pleasant attendant. The fees were £1 for cars ($1.40), £5 for busses (about $7).

Then, one day, after 25 solid years of never missing a day of work, he just didn't show up; so the Zoo Management called the City Council and asked it to send them another parking agent.

The Council did some research and replied that the parking lot was the Zoo's own responsibility. The Zoo advised the Council that the attendant was a City employee.

The City Council responded that the lot attendant had never been on the City payroll.

Meanwhile, sitting in his villa somewhere on the coast of Spain (or some such scenario), is a man who'd apparently had a ticket machine installed completely on his own; and then had simply begun to show up every day, commencing to collect and keep the parking fees, estimated at about $560 per day -- for 25 years. Assuming 7 days a week, this amounts to just over $7 million dollars!

And no one even knows his name.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2176 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Cool story, but unfortunately it's not true. I was going to forward it, but I thought I should check first.

snopes.com: Bristol Zoo Carpark Attendant

I was unable to copy/paste any of the text from the article.

NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)