You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Well, my trucking company is gone.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2017, 03:17 AM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3155 Times on 1875 Posts
Likes Given: 5682

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnight View Post
I would like to see a driverless tractor pull a load over the Rabbit Ears Pass on I-40 during a Colorado blizzard. It would be something to see a driverless tractor chained up at 9,423' in a Ground blizzard? How can no driver chain up a drive axel??
That's just one of the issues that limit autonomous vehicles. I guess they could get around it by having chain teams where they need put on and taken off. More job security for ex-drivers.

Best bet is that they'll have a low speed, high traction mode. Maybe variable inflation tires like a lot of our military vehicles. No chains, just deflate and creep up and down the slopes at low speed. Lots of new mechanical systems to maintain, job security for our mechanics.

And if one does slide off the road you can bet recovery will still be a human intensive job for a long time...

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 04-30-2017 at 03:20 AM.
People Like This 
Old 04-30-2017, 01:54 PM   #102
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4345 Times on 2464 Posts
Likes Given: 2772

Humm? Why not implement some of these changes now?? We have over 500,000 heavy truck accidents per year. There is currently 11 drivers per million killed each year??
This is like the predictions of the 1930s? They proclaimed that we would colonize Mars by the 1960s??
dwmiller Likes This 
Old 04-30-2017, 02:44 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnight View Post
Humm? Why not implement some of these changes now?? We have over 500,000 heavy truck accidents per year. There is currently 11 drivers per million killed each year??
This is like the predictions of the 1930s? They proclaimed that we would colonize Mars by the 1960s??
You already hit on why it's not implemented yet, 11 per million isn't even a statistical blip compared to the costs involved in a serious systemic design change. 500,000 heavy truck accidents includes better than 60% caused by other drivers, largely four wheelers. We're installing dash cams at a furious rate to prove "fault" in the accidents that do happen. Claims are as high as 85-90% of the time the trucker isn't at fault in accidents. We just need more and better physical evidence to disprove the professional ambulance chasers. Forward facing cams are nice, but full 360 surround, driver POV, with Doppler speed tagging is currently state of the art. We do win most lawsuits brought against us currently and the rates are getting better every year. Hard to argue against physical evidence.

The injury rate for truck drivers is incredibly low compared to the number of accidents, largely due to all the training we recieve. The trucks are already one of the safest vehicles on the road, from behind the wheel. The physics of another light vehicle hitting us isn't so good. Not much can be done to prevent those secondary vehicle fatalities, a full NASCAR cage won't help with that much energy transfer at highway speeds.

There IS a strong push toward driver-less vehicles in personal vehicles. Problem being all those vehicles are privately owned and the time frame involved for a full changeover is extremely long, 20+ years if the tech became available today. And it's just not ready yet. 10 to 20 years is the time frame for viable driver-less vehicles at this time. Lots of things could push that back another decade or two. We have prototypes now, not a viable replacement system.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Last edited by dwmiller; 04-30-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 04-30-2017, 08:09 PM   #104

Liked 7163 Times on 3924 Posts
Likes Given: 12227

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
You already hit on why it's not implemented yet, 11 per million isn't even a statistical blip compared to the costs involved in a serious systemic design change. 500,000 heavy truck accidents includes better than 60% caused by other drivers, largely four wheelers. We're installing dash cams at a furious rate to prove "fault" in the accidents that do happen. Claims are as high as 85-90% of the time the trucker isn't at fault in accidents. We just need more and better physical evidence to disprove the professional ambulance chasers. Forward facing cams are nice, but full 360 surround, driver POV, with Doppler speed tagging is currently state of the art. We do win most lawsuits brought against us currently and the rates are getting better every year. Hard to argue against physical evidence.

The injury rate for truck drivers is incredibly low compared to the number of accidents, largely due to all the training we recieve. The trucks are already one of the safest vehicles on the road, from behind the wheel. The physics of another light vehicle hitting us isn't so good. Not much can be done to prevent those secondary vehicle fatalities, a full NASCAR cage won't help with that much energy transfer at highway speeds.

There IS a strong push toward driver-less vehicles in personal vehicles. Problem being all those vehicles are privately owned and the time frame involved for a full changeover is extremely long, 20+ years if the tech became available today. And it's just not ready yet. 10 to 20 years is the time frame for viable driver-less vehicles at this time. Lots of things could push that back another decade or two. We have prototypes now, not a viable replacement system.
i was really surprised at how many times the company would even settle out of court, even when they weren't at fault for an accident. saw that many, many times with larger companies.

use to make me so mad, that all the attention to detail in making sure our trucks were safe, that my guys were properly trained in keeping the trucks safe, and when our drivers weren't at fault, they still paid out big bucks to someone. use to tell management, why don't we take off the company logs and names, and just put dollar signs on them instead!

if the company is at fault for an unsafe driver, or unsafe equipment that led to an accident, then yes, the company should be held accountable and pay out the nose. but when they aren't, they shouldn't be rewarding another driver for their poor driving.

rant off!
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."
People Like This 
Old 05-01-2017, 05:43 AM   #105
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 971 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 1712

I was stopped at a light when a woman in a car ran into the back of my trailer. Very minor damage. She claimed I rolled back into her car. The insurance company settled with her for one thousand dollars because it was cheaper for them than to defend me in court. I had an at fault preventable accident on my record for 3 years because of the insurance settling the claim without my approval.
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 05-01-2017, 01:04 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I was stopped at a light when a woman in a car ran into the back of my trailer. Very minor damage. She claimed I rolled back into her car. The insurance company settled with her for one thousand dollars because it was cheaper for them than to defend me in court. I had an at fault preventable accident on my record for 3 years because of the insurance settling the claim without my approval.
That is one of the main reasons to run your own authority! I dealt with a similar incident, company settled in the first week trying to cheap out and told me I was being let me go. Never even asked my side of what happened. I beat the charges 4 months later in court, at my own expense; 16 year old girl, 3 months driving, cell phone stuck to her head and my drive cam footage of it all. I was full stopped when she hit me at 20+mph while turning the wrong way, illegal u-turn. She claimed she came up the side street and just made a left.

My camera, and I did not allow the company access, after the idiots let me go, to try and recover their money. Sued them for wrongful termination, $5k more they pi$$ed away, they got to see the footage when I took them to court. Idiots. No sympathy for stupid, the deserve what they get. Company has gone under, good riddance...

Last edited by dwmiller; 05-01-2017 at 01:13 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #107

Liked 7163 Times on 3924 Posts
Likes Given: 12227

one company i worked for years ago, we had a truck involved in fatal accident. the lady ran a stop sign and ran right into the truck head-on. the truck was on a main highway, and going the speed limit, and the car came from a side street, ran the stop sign and ran directly into the truck.

even with the accident report, showing the driver couldn't have avoided the accident, plus the witness' statements of what happened, the company still settled out of court. they even had medical reports that the lay had some mental issues and had already attempted suicide a couple of times recently, and they speculated that she was going for a possible third time.

the poor driver was so upset, over the ladies death he had a mild heart attack, and was off for about six months. he was a really nice guy, and had an excellent driving record.
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."
locutus Likes This