Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Well im part of the mosin club now. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/well-im-part-mosin-club-now-73401/)

Jstrong 09-29-2012 06:21 PM

Well im part of the mosin club now.

At the gun show today this guy had a full crate of 91/30's,I walked up and start opening up the bolts looking for the tale tale signs of an ex-sniper,something I've told myself I would find before I actually bought my mosin. I found one,but the crown was horrible and it had been re-barreled,this ones not the one for me. I look around and there's about 5 guys standing around talking about the soviet relics that apparently I had attracted by looking through and handling every gun in the crate,I join in there conversation and give them some background on the guns and one of them asked me which one I would pick just to shoot,I Then point him to the only hex reciever in the box,tell him it looks good and that the hex guns are earlier and tend to be worth a bit more. He picks it up and tells the seller to hold it for him. I talk to the seller and he says nobody had shown any interest in the mosins until i started thumbing through all of them and talking about them,I ask if he has more I could look at and he says no but that he does have another hex boxed by itself,I take it out and look at it,1933... Dark red stock,it's pretty,no cracks,engraving is nice and readable,nice gun I think to myself... I start to set it back down,he says he'll pay the tax and knock 20 dollars off the price since I made a sale for him.

I now have a 1933 hex reciever 91/30.

vincent 09-29-2012 06:35 PM

Congrats!!! Got some gun pr0n for us???

Mosin 09-29-2012 06:44 PM

What's a Mosin? Some kind of rifle?

Jstrong 09-29-2012 07:01 PM

I'll post pics soon as I'm done getting the cosmoline out of it,if anybody has any tricks to share please chime in.

Mosin... No comment lol

Jstrong 09-29-2012 08:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 61382

Attachment 61383

Attachment 61384

There's the pics,it has the triangle and arrow stamp on the back of bolt and on the barrel. Which IIRC means it was built in the izsmach (sp) factory?,also there's the soviet hammer and sickle stamped on barrel,numbers on bolt and barrel match,don't know where to look on the other parts to see what else matches.

Can any tell me how I did,or anything I should know about it?

Babyfacenelson 09-29-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 958728)

In lue of the recent photos i think it is safe to classify the firearm in question as a rifle :p

vincent 09-29-2012 09:00 PM

There is a s/n on the bolt, reciever, mag floorplate and on the steel buttplate, (That's Trip's favorite part of his Mosin!! :D)

Sometimes they will all match, sometimes they are "lined out" or "forced matches". Of course all original matching numbers are more desirable but it shouldn't effect the performance...

Yep, the triangle/arrow symbol is Isvehtest..isvehhish...izvaaaa screw it, I can't spell it either!!

It looks real nice, I like the color of the finish. You know what you're doing, as long as the bore is good, yer good to go...:cool:

Have you seen this site yet?

http://7.62x54r.net/

texaswoodworker 09-29-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 958728)

Yeah. A Mosin is a rifle, and a Nagant is a revolver. I thought that was common knowledge. :D :p

Congrats on the Mosin Jstrong. You have just gone down the path of no return. Once you buy one Mosin, you WILL eventually buy another, and another. It's impossible to resist the urge. :D

vincent 09-29-2012 09:16 PM

Did you get the goodies along with it...mag pouches, sling, oil/grease cans, cleaning kit? (I see you got the bayo...)

Check the firing pin protrusion too, there are notches on the multi-tool for that.

Tons of good youtube vids if you need them, it's a really simple platform to learn.

Jstrong 09-29-2012 09:25 PM

Yea I got everything,sling,cleaning kit,two sets of pouches,bayonet,and oil can.