Welding Help?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Welding Help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Welding Help?

Hello All,

I am trying to create some things mostly weapons and I wanted to know if anybody knew about any good welding machines and companies......the sooner you let me know the sooner i can get started on my welding and cutting...THANKS

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Portable / Mobile DC Welding Equipment Designed for Use in Remote Locations

Thermal Arc MIG welders (mig welder) from ASEdeals.com

Welding Machines for Sale, Used Welders - New, Used, & Reconditioned - Mitrowski Welding Equipment, LTD.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Miller is the best.

Do you want Stick, MIG, TIG what?

What kind of weapons are you going to be making?

Old 08-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This should be interesting!!

I'm with Tango here and Miller Welders are very reliable, commercial grade machines.

I too would be interested in the type and design of the weapons you are thinking of making!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

May I suggest The Welders Handbook?

This book came in very handy for me when I started welding.

Amazon.com: Welder's Handbook : A Complete Guide to MIG, TIG, Arc & Oxyacetylene Welding…

Old 08-25-2010, 03:44 AM   #6
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Tango already eluded to the question, what are you welding? What material, how thick, welding a straight line or round or? Lots to consider. Are you wanting to do stick welding wire feed, mig or tig? Are you using gas, dual sheild or stick welding? what experience do you have welding? What kind of power do you have available? Some people have to use there 220V cloths dryer outlet to get enough amps to run a decent welder, there are some good 110v welders out there but they don't come cheap.

I prefer Miller wire feed mig welding for almost every chore, except the pretty stuff and that requires tig welding skill.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:52 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

As far as machines, you can't go wrong with Miller or Lincoln Electric.

As far as skill, contact your local Community College and take classes.

For what you want to do, please let us know what kind of weapons you are looking to fab.

Assuming you are making legal stuff, then you may have come to the right place. If you are looking to make some pipe bombs or other shat, then call your local Sheriff for the info. Don't forget your name, ssn, addy, license plate # and general description.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-25-2010, 06:27 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

There are several types of welding from gas to electric.

As far as the different types of electric welding goes:
Stick (Arc): Takes some practice, but if you can get the technique you have a good base to expand for the other types. Kind of slow and you have to chip the slag off the weld. However, it's the simplest and cheapest of the electric welding types. A decent 240v welder will run about $250. AC/DC welders will run more. Stay away from 120v welders, as they can't get enough to good penetration on thick metals.

Wire welding - Is pretty much pull trigger and go. A good wire welder will cost at least $1000. If you go with mig, you need a shielding gas. Depending on what you're welding will depend on the gas needed. Flux core is gas less, but you have to chip the slag off the weld. Very quick welding.

Gas tungsten arc welding - Also know as heliarc or TIG. Expensive welders and a very slow process. The trade off is, very clean and very strong welds, and can focus the energy into the area being welded better. AC or DC welding is available. Usually Tig welders also have the stick option so you can do both. A good Tig is probably around $1500.

Wiki the different types to find out more about them. But try to find a junior college that offers a welding class to get some experience. If you're looking for weapon building I would probably think that TIG is the one you would want.

I don't know what you're skill level is, but it takes some work. Even with wire welding. Got to take into account what metal you're working with, the thickness, the rod or filler metal, the current type. Stick you need DC for aluminum, but TIG you use AC for aluminum. Probably more than you wanted to know, but there's a lot to it. Good luck and have fun.

BTW: Get you a good welding hood. Cover up so you don't get burned from the ultra violent light, and have plenty of good ventilation. Those fumes are TOXIC!!!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Old 08-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This question can't be answered without knowing what you are welding, what you are building and what it's uses will be.

Having been in fabrication for a while, you can't beat a tig weld for strength. Others can work in some places but for a good tight bead, appearance and bond, go tig. It takes some skill though.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #10

Actually after doing some looking around yesterday i purchased from a company called longevity kinda got tired of waiting...plus the deal they gave me was excellent so when i get my machine i will be posting pics up. Check out my machine......

http://www.longevity-inc.com/productdetail_230/Multi-Purpose-Units/WeldAll-160PI.php