“Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day”
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day”

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day”

Resolution Introduced by Senator Richard Burr
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
David Ward

Phone:
Chandler Smith
(202) 224-2074

Washington D.C – The U.S. Senate yesterday declared March 30th as “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day,” agreeing unanimously to a resolution introduced by Senator Richard Burr (R-N.C.), Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs.

On March 30, 1973, all U.S. troops withdrew from Vietnam under the terms of the Treaty of Paris. This March 30th, the Senate has encouraged Americans across the country to recognize Vietnam veterans for their sacrifice and demonstrate a warm welcome to these soldiers who returned from war to a politically divided country.

“I’m pleased that the Senate has agreed to set aside a day to give our Vietnam veterans a warm, long-overdue welcome home. I strongly encourage communities throughout North Carolina and across the country to observe this day with activities and events that honor these veterans for their service. It’s time they receive the recognition they have earned and deserve. This day also provides our nation with an important teaching moment. Never again should our men and women serving in the armed forces receive the same treatment as those returning from Vietnam,” said Senator Richard Burr.

Senator Burr introduced the resolution for the second consecutive year on February 16, 2011. For Senator Burr’s remarks on the introduction of the resolution, click here.

The United States became involved in Vietnam because policy-makers believed that if South Vietnam fell to a communist government, communism would spread throughout the rest of Southeast Asia. The US Armed Forces began serving in an advisory role to the South Vietnamese in 1961, and in 1965, ground combat troops were sent into Vietnam. On March 30, 1973, after many years of combat, all US troops withdrew. More than 58,000 members of the United States Armed Forces lost their lives and more than 300,000 were wounded in Vietnam.

Senators John Boozman (R-AR), Thad Cochran (R-MS), James Inhofe (R-OK), and Johnny Isakson (R-GA) and Mike Johanns (R-NE) co-sponsored the legislation. The resolution now moves to the House of Representatives for consideration.

About effin' time; it only took 38 years to say "THANKS"! - cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Amen, Cane. So many lives lost and or destroyed physically and emotionally for a war that became a political ping pong game.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Great post. I work with a Vietnam vet and never fail to thank him and others. As a matter of fact any vet I see I will gladly shake their hand with gratitude.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7795 Times on 4682 Posts
Likes Given: 9797

Viet Nam veterans are very dear to me. They all have a special place in my heart and when I'm at a parade and they pass by, I stand.......and cry.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #5

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

It is about time something like this was done. I sure hope it makes it through and a huge thanks for those that served in Vietnam

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 03-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #6

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

It's a lot different now. When I ended my career in 1970 as a C.U.N.T. (Civilian Under Naval Training) and while returning home in uniform, I got spit on!

It was a welcome many of us old farts got back then!

I don't hold a grudge but I still have a good memory!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

About effin' time; it only took 38 years to say "THANKS"! - cane
Quoted for truth. 38 f*cking years?!?! Really?!?!

This should have been done a long time ago and without question. I am especially sorry that my old man passed away, did a full tour with the A.F. and got out in '67, before this day came along.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #8

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
When I ended my career in 1970 as a C.U.N.T. (Civilian Under Naval Training) and while returning home in uniform, I got spit on!
See this is something I am unable to wrap my head around. Even though I was just a kid when Vietnam ended I could never imagine holding any animosity to any of our troops. Today and until my end I will always have the utmost respect for our soldiers.

The last azzhat that started spouting off his bs mantra about how evil our troops are in front of me nearly got him thrown from a 3rd story window

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 03-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7795 Times on 4682 Posts
Likes Given: 9797

Quote:
It's a lot different now. When I ended my career in 1970 as a C.U.N.T. (Civilian Under Naval Training) and while returning home in uniform, I got spit on!

It was a welcome many of us old farts got back then!

I don't hold a grudge but I still have a good memory!
This is the reason you guys are so special to me. This terrible abuse to our veterans has never happened before or since. If I ever meet you, Cane, I'm going to hug you so hard your eye balls will pop out of your head. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Never "In Country", but served in support. 70-74! What Cane Said, all three times!!

Proud to be a veteran of that era!

People get the government they deserve.