Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day” (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/welcome-home-vietnam-veterans-day-40332/)

canebrake 03-26-2011 04:06 PM

“Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day”

Resolution Introduced by Senator Richard Burr
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
David Ward

Phone:
Chandler Smith
(202) 224-2074

Washington D.C – The U.S. Senate yesterday declared March 30th as “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day,” agreeing unanimously to a resolution introduced by Senator Richard Burr (R-N.C.), Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs.

On March 30, 1973, all U.S. troops withdrew from Vietnam under the terms of the Treaty of Paris. This March 30th, the Senate has encouraged Americans across the country to recognize Vietnam veterans for their sacrifice and demonstrate a warm welcome to these soldiers who returned from war to a politically divided country.

“I’m pleased that the Senate has agreed to set aside a day to give our Vietnam veterans a warm, long-overdue welcome home. I strongly encourage communities throughout North Carolina and across the country to observe this day with activities and events that honor these veterans for their service. It’s time they receive the recognition they have earned and deserve. This day also provides our nation with an important teaching moment. Never again should our men and women serving in the armed forces receive the same treatment as those returning from Vietnam,” said Senator Richard Burr.

Senator Burr introduced the resolution for the second consecutive year on February 16, 2011. For Senator Burr’s remarks on the introduction of the resolution, click here.

The United States became involved in Vietnam because policy-makers believed that if South Vietnam fell to a communist government, communism would spread throughout the rest of Southeast Asia. The US Armed Forces began serving in an advisory role to the South Vietnamese in 1961, and in 1965, ground combat troops were sent into Vietnam. On March 30, 1973, after many years of combat, all US troops withdrew. More than 58,000 members of the United States Armed Forces lost their lives and more than 300,000 were wounded in Vietnam.

Senators John Boozman (R-AR), Thad Cochran (R-MS), James Inhofe (R-OK), and Johnny Isakson (R-GA) and Mike Johanns (R-NE) co-sponsored the legislation. The resolution now moves to the House of Representatives for consideration.

About effin' time; it only took 38 years to say "THANKS"! - cane

Car54 03-26-2011 04:13 PM

Amen, Cane. So many lives lost and or destroyed physically and emotionally for a war that became a political ping pong game.

doctherock 03-26-2011 04:43 PM

Great post. I work with a Vietnam vet and never fail to thank him and others. As a matter of fact any vet I see I will gladly shake their hand with gratitude.

winds-of-change 03-26-2011 05:02 PM

Viet Nam veterans are very dear to me. They all have a special place in my heart and when I'm at a parade and they pass by, I stand.......and cry.

dog2000tj 03-26-2011 05:46 PM

It is about time something like this was done. I sure hope it makes it through and a huge thanks for those that served in Vietnam

canebrake 03-26-2011 05:47 PM

It's a lot different now. When I ended my career in 1970 as a C.U.N.T. (Civilian Under Naval Training) and while returning home in uniform, I got spit on!

It was a welcome many of us old farts got back then!

I don't hold a grudge but I still have a good memory!

Dillinger 03-26-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 473146)

About effin' time; it only took 38 years to say "THANKS"! - cane

Quoted for truth. 38 f*cking years?!?! Really?!?!

This should have been done a long time ago and without question. I am especially sorry that my old man passed away, did a full tour with the A.F. and got out in '67, before this day came along. :(

dog2000tj 03-26-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 473233)
When I ended my career in 1970 as a C.U.N.T. (Civilian Under Naval Training) and while returning home in uniform, I got spit on!

See this is something I am unable to wrap my head around. :o Even though I was just a kid when Vietnam ended I could never imagine holding any animosity to any of our troops. Today and until my end I will always have the utmost respect for our soldiers.

The last azzhat that started spouting off his bs mantra about how evil our troops are in front of me nearly got him thrown from a 3rd story window :cool:

winds-of-change 03-26-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 473233)
It's a lot different now. When I ended my career in 1970 as a C.U.N.T. (Civilian Under Naval Training) and while returning home in uniform, I got spit on!

It was a welcome many of us old farts got back then!

I don't hold a grudge but I still have a good memory!

This is the reason you guys are so special to me. This terrible abuse to our veterans has never happened before or since. If I ever meet you, Cane, I'm going to hug you so hard your eye balls will pop out of your head. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

dunerunner 03-26-2011 09:27 PM

Never "In Country", but served in support. 70-74! What Cane Said, all three times!!

Proud to be a veteran of that era!