Welcome home now pay taxes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Welcome home now pay taxes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Welcome home now pay taxes

I hate new york dmv (and new york in general). I just finished my enlistment in the Air Force and transferred into the NY Air Guard. About a year ago I bought a new truck down in New Mexico. I paid the 4% sales down there and registered it in New Mexico. Now I move back to New York where I have 30 days to get a new registration. Well being the law abiding citizen I am I went over to the department of motor vehicles to register my truck only to find out that they charge sales tax on your vehicle again. Another 8%. So instead of paying the $130 registration fee, $15 plate fee $50 title transfer fee and $20 vehicle inspection I now have to pay all those plus $1700 for taxes. And to top it all off I have to do the same thing with my wife’s car. So a total of $3000 just to get ******* new york plates on both of our vehicles. What a great welcome home present

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-31-2009, 12:40 AM   #2

Liked 1090 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenr19 View Post
I hate new york dmv (and new york in general). I just finished my enlistment in the Air Force and transferred into the NY Air Guard. About a year ago I bought a new truck down in New Mexico. I paid the 4% sales down there and registered it in New Mexico. Now I move back to New York where I have 30 days to get a new registration. Well being the law abiding citizen I am I went over to the department of motor vehicles to register my truck only to find out that they charge sales tax on your vehicle again. Another 8%. So instead of paying the $130 registration fee, $15 plate fee $50 title transfer fee and $20 vehicle inspection I now have to pay all those plus $1700 for taxes. And to top it all off I have to do the same thing with my wife’s car. So a total of $3000 just to get ******* new york plates on both of our vehicles. What a great welcome home present
Are you sure its not the difference between NY state tax and what you paid in taxes? I know when I changed from Alaska to Maryland for registration I had to pay 5% (MD's tax) but had I paid 3% to a state already I would have only had to pay 2% to maryland. I argued with the person at the counter over my vehicle's value, they said 18k, I said, great give me 18k I'll give you the keys right now, they said, that's not how this works. I ended up paying about $1k in taxes.

I think I'm right.
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/dtf804.pdf

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 05-31-2009, 12:49 AM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's still BS!! He has already paid taxes on the purchase of the vehicle while in another state on active duty in the military. His relocation has nothing to do with him buying a vehicle out of state to avoid paying NY sales tax!! I would call the media, preferably FOX and have them air this with a grateful nation. greenr19....Thanks for your service!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:32 AM   #4

God, I love Texas!

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 05-31-2009, 02:01 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yunus

That is what I thought. Come to find out New York only recognizes taxes paid from 8 other states. Right on the bottom of that form it has the list of whose they except Arizona California Florida Hawaii Massachusetts Michigan South Carolina Wyoming, and of course the huge list that they don't except. The list that they don't except has a star which states "You may be eligible for a refund of the taxes paid to the other state" I checked with New Mexico DMV and they do not refund taxes paid.

Last edited by greenr19; 05-31-2009 at 02:09 AM.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:23 AM   #6
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That is wrong in so many ways. Green thanks for your service and move West...get the hell out of NY!

Old 05-31-2009, 02:48 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

That sucks! you need to move Brother! ( you can come down south I'll let ya)

Old 05-31-2009, 03:00 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minionsram View Post
That sucks! you need to move Brother! ( you can come down south I'll let ya)
I know I don't know whose worse our President or New York’s governor. I've thought about moving but I can't do anything until my enlistment is up in the Guard.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:11 AM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

greenr19 - Talk with someone associated with your command and see if the military can't intervene on your behalf to get the cars registered without your having to pay the sales taxes.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:28 AM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

That blows but not as bad as VA. Here you have to pay sales tax when you buy the car then you have to pay the state tax to own the care every year after that. Tell me that ain't double taxation.