Was this weird? (Talking to military personnel)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Was this weird? (Talking to military personnel)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default Was this weird? (Talking to military personnel)

I don't think I was thinking straight. I got stranded during a recent business trip and was tired and weary by the time I got to my hotel for the night. My plans including doing jack and squat (I watched movies on my Kindle and ordered room service. I achieved my goal of doing as little as possible.)

Anyway, after FINALLY getting picked up at the airport and FINALLY checking in I ended up on an elevator with a couple of girls in the Navy. I do mean girls to because they were pretty young, but one of them looked like they were wearing a Warrant Officer insignia on their cap. W-2 maybe? Not sure what that rank is in the Navy. Anyway, as I exited the elevator I looked back at them and said "Thank you for your service". They replied in unison "Thank you!", which was pretty cool.

Still, was that a weird thing to do? I run into military personnel all the time and I'm always tempted to buy them a meal or do something for them at the airport.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #2

Liked 769 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 1590

Default Weird...???

Not in the least. You're a good person... You appreciate the dedication, service and even sacrifice of others. Good on ya there friend

You really want to feel good.. This upcoming holiday season, send some $$ to the Wounded Warrior Project and/or the USO.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #3

Liked 51 Times on 38 Posts

I have done that very same thing In airports. Out of the blue thanked a person in uniform. Serval times, always the same response , a smile from the fact that they are being recognized. As far as a meal I think it is exactly what we should do when we can if you've hot the change and the time. Great idea thank you for opening my eyes to it. Done and done!

Old 09-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #4

Liked 258 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It's a nice gesture. Don't sweat it.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #5

Liked 935 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 680

I shake the hand of every service member I see. On your next encounter with navy girls, called waves, try and set up something to ride the waves.

USMC 74-78

Old 09-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #6

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I always preferred "welcome home" over "thank you". But when I was in, it was pretty much a given that you'd spent time overseas. Not so much anymore.

A few weeks ago, our local NG unit was heading out. About 2 days before, I saw a soldier, sergeant, eating alone in the restaurant I was having lunch in. I knew he was being ready to deploy, and it was probably one of the last few decent meals he'd have for a while, so I picked up the bill for him.

I didn't say anything. Didn't introduce myself. I just asked the lady at the register if his meal had already been paid for, and when she said it hasn't, I asked her to put it on my card, then I left.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #7

Liked 1031 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Very nice thing to do, Trip! I did pretty much the same thing recently. Soldier alone, I did thank him for his service then unknown to him paid at the register. Figured it would be embarrassing to offer directly but a pleasant surprise when he tried to pay after I was gone.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

You are a good guy Java; the way that started off, I was wondering if I had wandered into the Penthouse Forum again with a story about an elevator getting stuck, etc.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #9

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
I shake the hand of every service member I see. On your next encounter with navy girls, called waves, try and set up something to ride the waves.
Too old, too married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
You are a good guy Java; the way that started off, I was wondering if I had wandered into the Penthouse Forum again with a story about an elevator getting stuck, etc.
Whoops, probably should have mentioned there was also an older couple on the elevator with us. Big elevator.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 09-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
Whoops, probably should have mentioned there was also an older couple on the elevator with us. Big elevator.
Kinky! LOL

Dead Bears, the only good kind.