Weird experience with online firearm sale today
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Weird experience with online firearm sale today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2014, 06:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default Weird experience with online firearm sale today

I am a member of a very well respected firearm swap Facebook site where you can go to buy and sell or trade firearms. I have made several transactions through this site and all were very positive.
For the last two weeks I have been trying to sell a S&W Bodyguard. I had a lot of interest in it but they all fell through, had a few people stand me up when it came to meeting them. This can happen when you use sites like FB. The rules on the site are clear that all transactions are at the sellers discretion and that it is a first come first serve kind of deal. I talked to a guy yesterday who said he wanted it but couldn't meet until tomorrow. I told him I would be happy to meet him but if someone came along with cash I would have to sell it.
Well today someone did come along with cash and bought it. I texted the other guy and told him sorry but I had sold it. This guy went off. He ranted and raved about how it was unfair and he was going to contact the admin of the site and tell (he literally said "its not fair I'm telling". Then he threatened to call some of his friends in the police department and call in a favor.
I know this is the risk you take when using a site like FB. I let the administrator know what happened and he thanked me and told me I was completely within the rules of the site and that he would be banning the other guy.
Well, I get off late tonight and am driving down the road minding my own business when I see flashing lights in the rearview. I pull over, put both hands on top of the wheel and as the officer approaches I said "I don't want to make you uncomfortable or alarm you so I am letting you know I do have a legal firearm in my console.
He told me to get out of the car and I did, he patted me down and took my license. He was very nice about everything, didn't even look in my console. Took him about 10 min to run my license for some reason and he came back and told me my tail light was out, which it was. I have had it fixed 3 times now and now I know its an electrical problem. I told him about it and he said it was fine just be careful.
When he handed me back my license I laughed and told him how ironic it was that I got pulled over and told him the story. He laughed and said if a "friend" called him to bitch about something like that he would more likely give him hell than the person that didn't sell him the gun.
He did warn me to be careful on online sites but says he uses the same one. He said next time don't just report it to the admin but also to notify law enforcement because if someone got that irate over a situation like that where the rules were quite clear that person may be a felon trying to buy a gun illegally.
Life is funny sometimes

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #2

Liked 1330 Times on 890 Posts
Likes Given: 856

What an idiot. Probably a good thing you didn't sell him the gun...I probably would have laughed at him when he said that stuff.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3370 Times on 1929 Posts
Likes Given: 1431

Should the seller have questions about the buyer, the seller just has to ask "How about we do this transaction through an FFL?"

If the buyer is on the up and up, then there should be no problem. And almost any FFL would be glad to do the transaction.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
Warlock999 Likes This 
Old 10-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #4

Liked 2103 Times on 1157 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

You are probably better off not having dealt with the guy. Gun owners really need to be level headed people. Not saying that we should deny people their rights because they have a temper. Just saying, maybe you don't want to be they guy that sells it to him.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

It's good to know what the attitude of the police is for something like that. I've sold 3 guns through local FB groups. I always have a twinge of doubt in the back of mind about who the buyer is.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 10-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3673 Times on 2524 Posts
Likes Given: 1812

I think you put your money and your physical safety at risk by trading guns on Facebook. The first line of self defense is avoidance. Pardon the blunt talk.
limbkiller Likes This 
Old 10-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #7

Liked 206 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Selling guns through craigslist and FB are just not smart ideas IMO. You dont have a clue who your going to be dealing with and their intentions.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #8

Liked 551 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 1330

i refuse to do a face to face gun sale unless i know the person very well.

any other sales go through a dealer on consignment so that none end up in hands of criminals.

there are too many people who try and buy from private sellers simply because they know an FFL dealer won't or can't sell them a gun.

i simply refuse to enable these people access to guns when i can.

Last edited by Warlock999; 10-25-2014 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling.
People Like This 
Old 10-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #9

Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I agree it's not the best and safest but this board is pretty legit. It is administrated by law enforcement and certified instructors. They do a background check (as much as they can using FB info) and you have to have been on FB for a min of 5 years and they have to find a link that proves you excist and can be found. For instance I own a restaurant and they can get to my restaurant website through FB (only admins) and see that I am real and established and a productive member of society. Lastly you contact an admin when you do a transaction and tell them when, where, and who you are meeting. It's always in a well lit safe place like a mall parking lot.
Warlock999 Likes This 
Old 10-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Here in Iowa, we have the permit to purchase and the CC permit. As long as they can show me either of those, I'm fine with it. On a couple of occasions I had the person email me a photo of either of the permits before I would meet with them.

On the other occasions I sold through FB, one was a guy I knew and the other was vouched for by an FFL I did business with.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA