Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Weight Loss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 05:20 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Ahh, sorry bout that

Never mind then!

Old 05-25-2011, 05:23 AM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Its all good brother. I'm taking a cheat day though as a big ribeye steak has my name on it.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:25 AM   #13
MGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
That does sound cool Doc. Just be wary of the survival mode thing though, I've always been taught that the body will only use protein as a fuel source after it's carbohydrate and fat stores had been depleted. This will usually only occur after 6-8 hours of high-intensity, but still aerobic activity without refueling. To start burning fat as a fuel, the body needs to have been working aerobically for over ~40mins.

PM me if you like and I can explain the energy systems in a bit more detail, a good understanding will help with weight loss.
Wait, so does walking count as Aerobic Then? I walk for 8 hours mon. thru fri.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGH View Post
Wait, so does walking count as Aerobic Then? I walk for 8 hours mon. thru fri.
It does, but it's not intense enough for the body to start breaking itself down. You'd have to be walking at marathon pace

Old 05-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #15

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Aus, I always thought that the first thing one would metabolize off was the body fat then the muscle mass after the body fat was diminished. Then after awhile the body goes into the starvation mode where the body, for lack of better words, trains itself to keep and store fat more than it usually would otherwise. Thats why alot of folks that go on starvation diets usually gain more weight after they go off those diets. Am I close on this theory?

Old 05-26-2011, 02:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Aus, I always thought that the first thing one would metabolize off was the body fat then the muscle mass after the body fat was diminished. Then after awhile the body goes into the starvation mode where the body, for lack of better words, trains itself to keep and store fat more than it usually would otherwise. Thats why alot of folks that go on starvation diets usually gain more weight after they go off those diets. Am I close on this theory?
The first source that the body converts into energy when it is using the aerobic energy system is glucose in the blood and after that, glucogen stored in the muscles. Glucogen is the body's way of storing carbohydrates that are ingested from your diet. The glucogen stores in the muscle last for approximately 40 mins when participating in moderate-intensity aerobic workout. As a point of reference, if you can carry out a normal conversation, you're not working in this zone.

After this point, yes the body starts to metabolise fats, and a long time after, protein in the muscles. You are partially right about the starvation diet; if the body does not receive adequate calories to perform it's basic functions such as breathing, thinking, digestion, etc (between 1200-1500cal for gals, 1500-2000cal for guys), the next time it does receive above that number, it stores all of the excess energy as fat, not as carbohydrate. This is due to the fact that fats are much more energy-rich than carbohydrates when metabolised. Starvation diets are extremely unhealthy, and frequently lead to more weight being put back on that what was originally lost.