A weekend get together in Australia.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A weekend get together in Australia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 416 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default A weekend get together in Australia.

Thought I'd show you blokes that we Aussies also have our own little get togethers involving guns,kids,women and blokes on a range for a weekend of shooting, beer and bullsh&t at night after the day's shoot.

The hunting forum I'm a member of here in Australia recently had our annual "Big Bore Shoot" at Wodonga on the New South Wales/Victorian border and it's basically a catch up shoot on a rifle range between the members of the forum Australian Hunting Network(AHN) who travel in some cases a couple of thousand miles for a weekend that lets us shoot anything from a .22 pistol up to a .505 Gibbs and there's even a black powder mob that turn up complete with a black powder cannon and their rifles and it's kids, women allowed to shoot and try everybody else's guns a great get together for everybody.

1 bloke bought a .577/500 double barrel black powder(Parker Henry I think it was called) rifle that is worth $12,000 Aus. to shoot and for such a big bore it was a real pleasure to fire.

Here's a wrap up of the weekend involved in a condensed version from the forum just to show you blokes we can "Git 'er done!" as well.
Ask any questions you want and I'll try and answer best I can.

http://www.australianhunting.net/index.php/topic,134412.0.html

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

tri70 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #2

Liked 640 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 1914

One of these days ill make the trip down there. I have to show you guys how to hunt pigs Arkansas style!!

You know that means you will have to show me some Australian hospitality?!

Old 06-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
One of these days ill make the trip down there. I have to show you guys how to hunt pigs Arkansas style!!

You know that means you will have to show me some Australian hospitality?!
Better bring your drinking boots mate as well.
We'll show you Aussie hospitality and fill you full of tucker and show you God's own country.
As for hunting pigs well I think we can hold our own fairly well in that dept. as well.

These pics were taken from a cull hunt 2 years ago when my son and I travelled 3000klms 1 way to our Northern Territory to Katherine onto a property of 300,000 acres(small by NT standards) to thin out feral dogs ,pigs, horses and donkeys.

The last couple of pics are of the Daly River we had to cross to get to the property. The river does have some rather large specimens of saltwater crocs in it and the view out of the windscreen of my Toyota Landcruiser Prado is of the water over the bonnet crossing the river.
The pics of the Toyota Land cruiser ute is to show how deep the river is at this particular crossing.
The river gets it water draining from thousands of square miles inland and during the Wet you can't cross the river here because the water is at least 3-4' if not higher.
The place we were shooting on is about an hour in from the main highway on dirt road.
dscf0458.jpg   dscf0464.jpg   dscf0437.jpg   dscf0435.jpg   dscf0509.jpg  

dscf0527.jpg   dscf0524.jpg   dscf0531.jpg   sany0274.jpg  

People Like This 
Old 06-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #4

Damn buddy!! Those are some nice porkers!! I'd love to hunt with you guys, pig hunting is my favorite.

BTW, I'll take you up on that drink if I ever get to go.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 507 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 166

That is some damn fine looking scrub you boys are hunting. I would relish the chance to hunt there,, when I was in the USMC, I met some Australian Merchant Marines in Puttaya Beach Thailand,, if I spelled it correctly,, those boys were great fun to party with and they were surely proud of your Swan lager, it's definitely a great brew. Hats off to you boys,, you do know how to enjoy life,, good luck and have a frothy one for me.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
Damn buddy!! Those are some nice porkers!! I'd love to hunt with you guys, pig hunting is my favorite.

BTW, I'll take you up on that drink if I ever get to go.
Get yourself set up and come over. Plenty of pigs here last estimated count was something like 23 million pigs in Australia roughly 1 pig per person so we're not going to run out of them in a hurry.

Here's a few more pics.
My son got his 1st 2 pigs there with my .270 Howa Mountaineer at a range of about 10yds over a bait station.

The hooks there are from my biggest pig that went around 25" a big boar of at least 80+kg's.

That pic of the wild dog is me after I shot it with my 30/06AI with a 165gn GameKing around 10yds.

The last pic is of some of the cattle that are bred on this property. They are Drought Master cattle bred for their ability to survive in this part of the world.
dscf0439.jpg   dscf0521.jpg   dscf0478.jpg   dscf0505.jpg   sany0326.jpg  

sany0317.jpg  

tri70 Likes This 
Old 06-09-2013, 02:12 AM   #7

Those are some nice pigs!!

Old 06-09-2013, 03:17 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Thanks for the great post. I really enjoied it.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #9

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Yes, indeed. Thanks for the pix.

Are you allowed to shoot crocs?

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Yes, indeed. Thanks for the pix.

Are you allowed to shoot crocs?
Unfortunately no. There was a move not long ago to open them up to a tag system because they are becoming a big problem around Darwin Harbour.
The NT govt was all for it but as usual the bloody animal lib twats and the Federal govt stuck there collective snouts into it and stopped it. It would've been a great money spinner for up there with tags reportedly going for supposedly $10-15K each but the croc problem would be under strict control and managed effectively and it would've bought more tourists and money into the country as well.

I actually did 10 days work for an outfitter 3 years ago on his Buffalo concession about 2 hrs out at Gove/Nhulumby in the NT and where he had his buffalo camp there is a Billabong there that housed a 14' male croc and a 12' female croc.

While I was there the were 2 blokes from Texas there chasing a trophy buffalo and 1 bloke scored this 101" specimen on the 1st day out 10 minutes from camp.
It took 4 .375 RUM 300GN projectiles to drop it. The 1st shot was around 50yds.

The projectile was recovered from the far side shoulder just under the skin. The golden rule to these buffs is to shoot them about below the shoulder on a side on shot and then empty the mag into them as they can absorb a lot of lead. A minimum 300 gn pill is recommended for them and they will turn on you if your not careful. The guide generally carries a .458 as a back up gun.
p7300044.jpg   p7220006.jpg   p7220008.jpg  

Last edited by hairbear1; 06-09-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Rocky7 Likes This