Weed Eaters - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Weed Eaters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 12:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Why not buy a new Ryobi? I've had one for 12 years and it works great. Straight shaft and it even came with a blade for cutting brush and saplings...I paid $169 back in '97. I haven't even changed the spark plug!
Same here, 8 years, cost me around $140 on e-bay but I have the one that accepts different attachments. But I do have an Echo backup, just in case.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Same here, 8 years, cost me around $140 on e-bay but I have the one that accepts different attachments. But I do have an Echo backup, just in case.
Mine has the two piece shaft also, for attachments - I should have bought them back in '97, 'cause I can't find any attachments now! They had all kinds of shiit for it, even a "snow blower"... I would probably buy an Echo or Troy bilt if my Ryobi ever breaks. I wanted to buy another to do the road frontage on my business property, because it's covered with poison ivy, and the last time I used my Ryobi and then brought it home I got that **** all over me. I cheaped out and saw a "scythe" for $20 at Tractor Supply and bought it instead....what a mistake! I don't play golf, and my forearms don't look like Popeye - yet...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-22-2009, 01:44 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
I wanted to buy another to do the road frontage on my business property, because it's covered with poison ivy, and the last time I used my Ryobi and then brought it home I got that **** all over me.
Get some rock salt, lots of it & later some rocks to cover the bare earth.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:51 AM   #14

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

OK I am going to lay it out for you real easy like. I currently own a Troy built 4 cycle. It is sweet has lots of attachemnts for it and it is nice not having to mix gas. Now That being said it is my 3 and final one. It is heavy and after about an hour of trimming my back is tore up for at least two days. It takes 15 minutes to warm up even on an 80* morning. First one blew up in two weeks. Second one clutch went out after one season. I had a weed eater that was ok until the carb blew out and it puked a pint of gas in the middle of my lawn. As soon as this one craps out I am buying an Echo or Stihl. Cut and dry. Spend that $300 on an Echo or stihl and laugh in the face of your neighbors when they are pulling and pulling on theres to get it started. I own a blower and yard vac that is an echo. Even on a day that was cold as hell snowing and wind blowing 20mph it took three pumps of the primer setting the choke and one pull on my Echo to get it going. Yes I was trying to blow the snow off my driveway. Spring and summer I pump the primer three times and pull the starter cords and varoooom I am off and blow the entire hood (KNOCK IT OFF YOU PERVERTS).

I have run stihls for 10 hours a day for 6 days a week. All I ever needed to do was change the plug once a year and keep it filled with gas mixed right. This was no ordinaty weed wackin either I was suckering trees in an orchard. So it was hard work that required good equipment. I even ran over the thing and it still worked ran and would still cut like a hot knife in butter.

I am of the thinking that you pay for good equipment once. Weed eater, troy-built, lowes, home depot brands are all made by MTD. Even other like black and decker are made by MTD.

If you are looking for a quality string trimmer for working around the house on saturday and that get an Echo SRM-230 for $279.00 from Home Depot. IF you want a stihl then go for the FS 56 RC-E It is $239.99 at my local saw shop.

Don't go messing around with them crapy models at Home Depot, Lowes or walmart.

Last edited by cpttango30; 07-22-2009 at 01:54 AM.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:53 AM   #15

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Mine has the two piece shaft also, for attachments - I should have bought them back in '97, 'cause I can't find any attachments now! They had all kinds of shiit for it, even a "snow blower"... I would probably buy an Echo or Troy bilt if my Ryobi ever breaks. I wanted to buy another to do the road frontage on my business property, because it's covered with poison ivy, and the last time I used my Ryobi and then brought it home I got that **** all over me. I cheaped out and saw a "scythe" for $20 at Tractor Supply and bought it instead....what a mistake! I don't play golf, and my forearms don't look like Popeye - yet...
That Ryobi will still take the expand it attachments I believe.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:20 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
That Ryobi will still take the expand it attachments I believe.
Are the attachments still available? About the only worthwhile one is the pruning/hedge trimmer attachment. I would be laughed out of town if I ever walked outside with a snow blower attachment on my weedwhacker..

Old 07-22-2009, 02:22 AM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Get some rock salt, lots of it & later some rocks to cover the bare earth.

LOL - that's my next plan - I wasted $30 on a defolient that didn't even kill the grass! Some a$$hole down the road has a hillside that, during the last two elections, mowed Kerry's and Obama's name in 20' letters across his hillside...I always wanted to buy a few bags of rock salt and write "FUC%" in front of "Obama"...it would be there long after Obama leaves office!

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-22-2009 at 02:25 AM.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:47 AM   #18

I guess Im just a cheap bas#ard. I bought a yard man from walmart. Ive had it for seven years. Starts on the second or third pull. Im a Diesel mechanic, and the way I see it is as long as you take care of the equipment it should last a while. If you let it go it is going to break. I change the plug and air filter every season, and put a little extra oil in the gas.

If you can't make them see the light, make the feel the heat: Ronald Reagan

Old 07-22-2009, 02:51 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher77 View Post
Im a Diesel mechanic, and the way I see it is as long as you take care of the equipment it should last a while. If you let it go it is going to break. I change the plug and air filter every season, and put a little extra oil in the gas.
I'm a cheap bastard too, but with this new "ultra-low sulphur" diesel crap I'm spending a fortune by buying a gallon a week of Marvel Mystery Oil to add to my trucks fuel tanks.. so I don't have to go to the diesel mechanic for an engine rebuild!

Old 07-22-2009, 03:20 AM   #20

I dont like that low sulfer shiznit either. I drive a powerstroke. I also add mystery oil. I will tell you the enginers say the engines are designed to run on that crap, but I dont trust it yet.

If you can't make them see the light, make the feel the heat: Ronald Reagan