Weed Eaters
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Weed Eaters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Weed Eaters

So i just bought a lawn tractor and now I need a weed eater. I've been using my dad's but he needs it back soon. I can not believe the cost of a freaking weed eater. I don't want crap equipment, I know the value of quality gear and I'm willing to pay for it but $300 + for a decent(read as not the lowe's or home depot model) Stihl, Echo or Huskvarna seems a bit nuts. I mean, I may have to cut into firearm funds to purchase this thing which ticks me off.
Nothing good used here locally. Sure I can pick up the 3 year old Ryobi that has been running a year longer then ever intended for $50 but it wont make it thru the end of the summer.

Sorry guys, I'm ranting....I'll stop now. If anyone knows of a good weedeater for sale...

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

untitled.jpg  

Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Then I would have to build a fence which would cost me a couple grand at least. I'll take the weed eater.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

When i lived in Memphis at this one duplex, i mowed the entire back yard with a 12" electric weedeater from Home Depot. I do not recommend it. I do appreciate the simplicity of a plug-in electric motor. Find one that will let you attach the little serrated plastic blades rather than string.

Goats can get up on your car & scuff the paint up; they also have MUCH stinkier exhaust than even the nastiest 2 cycle weedeater. On the plus side, they probably taste much better than a string trimmer.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I always revert to the adage "you get what you pay for". It will hurt a little more now, but you'll be happy you spent it in the long run. Go for the Echo. I bought one about 10-11 years ago and all I've had to replace was the primer bulb and gas tank grommet. Still going strong.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm leaning towards Echo. My dad has a 25 year old SRM2200 that has had the following: 2 heads, 2 spark plugs and 1 primer bulb. Starts with 2 or 3 pulls every time.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #7

I got a Troy-Bilt 4 cycle at Lowe's for $189. It's a straight shaft. A little heavy but, it's better so far than the little Walmart weedeaters. I also got a blade that cuts small brush pretty good.

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also"
Thomas Jefferson

"Freedom is only one generation from extinction"
Pres. Ronald Reagan
Member; NRA, GOA, and TSRA. ResistNet.com member

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"

Old 07-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I have an Echo with the 2 handles and harness. It came with 2 heads; one is a blade head that cuts saplings up to 2-1/2" dia with a single blow. Friggin awesome and manly enough to handle my immense trimming duties. I don't know the model number off hand, but I do know it is at $300+ right now at the majors. Heavy, thus the chest and waist harness. Imo, one bad arse machine!

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukech1 View Post
I got a Troy-Bilt 4 cycle at Lowe's for $189. It's a straight shaft. A little heavy but, it's better so far than the little Walmart weedeaters. I also got a blade that cuts small brush pretty good.
+1 on the Troy Bilt 4 cycle, no mixing gas/oil. Mine is a TB415CS and I've had it for a couple of years, easy to start, fairly lite and doesn't bog down.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
So i just bought a lawn tractor and now I need a weed eater. I've been using my dad's but he needs it back soon. I can not believe the cost of a freaking weed eater. I don't want crap equipment, I know the value of quality gear and I'm willing to pay for it but $300 + for a decent(read as not the lowe's or home depot model) Stihl, Echo or Huskvarna seems a bit nuts. I mean, I may have to cut into firearm funds to purchase this thing which ticks me off.
Nothing good used here locally. Sure I can pick up the 3 year old Ryobi that has been running a year longer then ever intended for $50 but it wont make it thru the end of the summer.

Sorry guys, I'm ranting....I'll stop now. If anyone knows of a good weedeater for sale...

Why not buy a new Ryobi? I've had one for 12 years and it works great. Straight shaft and it even came with a blade for cutting brush and saplings...I paid $169 back in '97. I haven't even changed the spark plug!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"