Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Weed Eaters (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/weed-eaters-15962/)

spittinfire 07-21-2009 08:19 PM

Weed Eaters

So i just bought a lawn tractor and now I need a weed eater. I've been using my dad's but he needs it back soon. I can not believe the cost of a freaking weed eater. I don't want crap equipment, I know the value of quality gear and I'm willing to pay for it but $300 + for a decent(read as not the lowe's or home depot model) Stihl, Echo or Huskvarna seems a bit nuts. I mean, I may have to cut into firearm funds to purchase this thing which ticks me off.
Nothing good used here locally. Sure I can pick up the 3 year old Ryobi that has been running a year longer then ever intended for $50 but it wont make it thru the end of the summer.

Sorry guys, I'm ranting....I'll stop now. If anyone knows of a good weedeater for sale...

Jo da Plumbr 07-21-2009 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

spittinfire 07-21-2009 08:41 PM

Then I would have to build a fence which would cost me a couple grand at least. I'll take the weed eater.

orangello 07-21-2009 08:55 PM

When i lived in Memphis at this one duplex, i mowed the entire back yard with a 12" electric weedeater from Home Depot. I do not recommend it. I do appreciate the simplicity of a plug-in electric motor. Find one that will let you attach the little serrated plastic blades rather than string.

Goats can get up on your car & scuff the paint up; they also have MUCH stinkier exhaust than even the nastiest 2 cycle weedeater. On the plus side, they probably taste much better than a string trimmer.

Troy Michalik 07-21-2009 09:02 PM

I always revert to the adage "you get what you pay for". It will hurt a little more now, but you'll be happy you spent it in the long run. Go for the Echo. I bought one about 10-11 years ago and all I've had to replace was the primer bulb and gas tank grommet. Still going strong.

spittinfire 07-21-2009 09:09 PM

I'm leaning towards Echo. My dad has a 25 year old SRM2200 that has had the following: 2 heads, 2 spark plugs and 1 primer bulb. Starts with 2 or 3 pulls every time.

dukech1 07-21-2009 09:45 PM

I got a Troy-Bilt 4 cycle at Lowe's for $189. It's a straight shaft. A little heavy but, it's better so far than the little Walmart weedeaters. I also got a blade that cuts small brush pretty good.

skullcrusher 07-21-2009 10:45 PM

I have an Echo with the 2 handles and harness. It came with 2 heads; one is a blade head that cuts saplings up to 2-1/2" dia with a single blow. Friggin awesome and manly enough to handle my immense trimming duties. I don't know the model number off hand, but I do know it is at $300+ right now at the majors. Heavy, thus the chest and waist harness. Imo, one bad arse machine! :D

WDB 07-22-2009 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukech1 (Post 131985)
I got a Troy-Bilt 4 cycle at Lowe's for $189. It's a straight shaft. A little heavy but, it's better so far than the little Walmart weedeaters. I also got a blade that cuts small brush pretty good.

+1 on the Troy Bilt 4 cycle, no mixing gas/oil. Mine is a TB415CS and I've had it for a couple of years, easy to start, fairly lite and doesn't bog down.

RL357Mag 07-22-2009 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 131919)
So i just bought a lawn tractor and now I need a weed eater. I've been using my dad's but he needs it back soon. I can not believe the cost of a freaking weed eater. I don't want crap equipment, I know the value of quality gear and I'm willing to pay for it but $300 + for a decent(read as not the lowe's or home depot model) Stihl, Echo or Huskvarna seems a bit nuts. I mean, I may have to cut into firearm funds to purchase this thing which ticks me off.
Nothing good used here locally. Sure I can pick up the 3 year old Ryobi that has been running a year longer then ever intended for $50 but it wont make it thru the end of the summer.

Sorry guys, I'm ranting....I'll stop now. If anyone knows of a good weedeater for sale...

Why not buy a new Ryobi? I've had one for 12 years and it works great. Straight shaft and it even came with a blade for cutting brush and saplings...I paid $169 back in '97. I haven't even changed the spark plug!