Weapon Serial Numbers?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Weapon Serial Numbers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Weapon Serial Numbers?

I asked this on another thread but didn't get a response. Every time I see a weapon's serial number referenced from someone they X-out some of the numbers, such as XXXX4302. I've never been able to figure out why? What could someone do if they had a serial number to one of my weapons? Is this just paranoia or is there a legitimate reason for doing this?

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Never understood this myself as if you look on gunbroker most serial #s are clearly legible. I suppose someone could file a stolen gun report using your serial number or something like that...

Old 05-20-2010, 05:27 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

A slight bit of both.

Putting the full serial number out there is doing several things, not the least of which is creating public record of you having that weapon. If you purchased it used, from a buddy or in another face to face transaction, then there is no paperwork trail saying you have said weapon. Once you post the serial number, now you have created one. Chalk that one up to a bit of paranoia.

The other option is that once someone has a serial number, it's not unheard of for a person to pose selling a firearm on one of the gun boards and try to run a scam on someone. "I have this great pistol, clean, shoots great, serial number 12345678, need cash, must sell, Paypal accepted"

Being an interested person, you call up said manufacturer and ask about the weapon. Yep, it's ours, was produced in 20xx and sold in "X" state. I don't think they will tell you much more than that.

Most folks would insist on an FFL transfer or a face to face meeting - but who knows, there are suckers born every minute.

Now, could you fabricate some fantastic event if you found out someone near you had a used pistol they got for a steal and make up some story for the cops, give them the serial number and claim that you owned it and it was stolen? I suppose it's possible, but not highly likely.

Basically, for me, I don't like having too much information about what I have and where I got it out there. I just don't feel that comfortable with eveyrone knowing everything that I have at the house. I believe that several guys here feel the same way.

*shrug* - personal preferance

JD

Old 05-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I just don't like people knowing the serial numbers of my guns.

When you post on a car board do you go around posting your VIN all over the place?

Old 05-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
A slight bit of both.

The other option is that once someone has a serial number, it's not unheard of for a person to pose selling a firearm on one of the gun boards and try to run a scam on someone. "I have this great pistol, clean, shoots great, serial number 12345678, need cash, must sell, Paypal accepted"

Being an interested person, you call up said manufacturer and ask about the weapon. Yep, it's ours, was produced in 20xx and sold in "X" state. I don't think they will tell you much more than that.

JD
Couldn't anyone just go to the manufacturere's website and pick a random serial number--many of them let you enter serial numbers and will tell you model, manufacture date, etc.?
I don't know, I've seen the same thing done with auto VINs, appliance serial numbers, etc.--I bet some lawyer advised doing this years ago and it stuck...

Old 05-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Basically, for me, I don't like having too much information about what I have and where I got it out there. I just don't feel that comfortable with everyone knowing everything that I have at the house. I believe that several guys here feel the same way.
JD
What he said!

Indeed, especially when it comes to owned firearms, it's only on a need to know basis.

Money and women are next.

Jack....or is it?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 05-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #7

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Like all things if you want to put your entire serial number out there on the interwebs go for it.

I am with JD and Jack.

Just remember once it is on the web it is there forever....

Old 05-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I don't know about anyone else, but I can only remember the first few numbers of all of the guns I lost in the now famous FTF boating accident. If I could remember all of the numbers, I would put them up there. Also, for those I did not lose over the Marianas Trench, I am not sure Gary would appreciate me putting the numbers out there of the ones he bought from me.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Like all things if you want to put your entire serial number out there on the interwebs go for it.

I am with JD and Jack.

Just remember once it is on the web it is there forever....
No, I agree that I don't want my numbers out there--just was wondering if there is a legal/lawful/protocal or other reason why...

Old 05-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #10

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
No, I agree that I don't want my numbers out there--just was wondering if there is a legal/lawful/protocal or other reason why...
Personal preference.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello