We had to put down one our pups today - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > We had to put down one our pups today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 12:16 AM   #11
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3373 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoniJo View Post
I am so sorry. It's so hard to lose them. People who don't have pets don't really understand how much we love them....they are so much more than pets to us. My heart goes out to you, and the others who recently lost their furry babies.

+100. I don't know what I'd do if I would not be able to look at this face every day.....ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1403824551.128741.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talkh

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
People Like This 
Old 06-27-2014, 01:07 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1885 Times on 823 Posts
Likes Given: 1422

My condolences for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family!!!

People Like This 
Old 06-27-2014, 01:45 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1425 Times on 964 Posts
Likes Given: 1560

Sorry..................

When all else fails.

People Like This 
Old 06-27-2014, 02:09 AM   #14

www.facebook.com/Gator the Old English Bulldog(ge)....."He posted" his condolences a few hrs. ago.,...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
People Like This 
Old 06-27-2014, 02:11 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm very sorry for your loss of Denali and Sedona. May they both RIP. I know it's heartbreaking. I've also been there twice. I lost Abby at age 14 about 3 years ago. She was a beautiful Springer Spaniel and my constant companion. Kitty about 8 months ago. A sweet and lovable lap kitty who was also with me for 14 wonderful years.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:24 AM   #16
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2074 Times on 1219 Posts
Likes Given: 4455

Thanks All! Today has been hard. The remaining pups have been very quiet, as well as the 3 birds we have. Not even a peep from the birds, they knew it was his time.

Again Thanks All!

We retired Denali's leash, collar, tags and bowl with the others from the 3 other furry friends that have crossed over the rainbow bridge. Rico 18+ years, Heidi 2+ years, Sedona 13+. Denali was 14 years old, estimated.

We will get a paw cast of Denali to go with the others.

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 06-27-2014 at 03:26 AM.
People Like This 
Old 06-27-2014, 03:33 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3835 Times on 2138 Posts
Likes Given: 20109

I lost my best dog this past October , cried like a baby . I'm so sorry for your loses and feel your pain . They are not just dogs , they are family ! Five weeks ago , I finally got another shelter dog but , he will never be the one I lost .

He has found his own way to my heart and I have another companion ! It's the only way to move forward , a new family member but , it is taking awhile .

So sorry for your loss .

Old 06-27-2014, 03:49 AM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1090 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 156

I am so sorry for your lose. I have gone through this and it is painful. Each day that passes things get a little better. But you will never forget the love you shared with your dog. (that's the good part)

Hang in there.

US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings, P2V plane capt.
US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) NDW shooting team member and a lot more stuff!
Alway keep your six covered

Last edited by Dearhunter; 06-29-2014 at 04:23 AM.
People Like This 
Old 06-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #19
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1949 Times on 1203 Posts
Likes Given: 11067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
I am so sorry for your lose. I have gone through this and it is painful. Each day that passes things get a little better. But you will never forget the love your shared with your dog. (that's the good part)

Hang in there.
DH said it better than i can. i had to put down my golden\collie mix 3 years ago, and it still hurts from time to time. she was an intervention rescue on my part, 6 months old, broken hind leg, ribs and front paw, and she was only 18 pounds when my vet put her on the scale. to say she was in rough shape is an understatement. if i had not taken her, she would have been dead within a few days.

a couple years after this, she had gotten out of the puppy stage, and had mellowed out. she did have minor issues with seperation anxiety and submissive urination for most of her life, but overall she was a happy, loyal, and healthy dog. It took a lot of work on my part to bring her to this point. she weighed in at 95 to 100 pounds, and was taller and thinner than a golden would be, kind of had the collie's lankiness.

when my first wife left, she took the dog with her. every time she let the dog out, she would escape and make her way home to me. after 2 weeks of the dog not eating for her, escaping to my place, and growling at my replacement, she gave up and told me to keep her.

when my current wife and i finally accepted the signs and got together, lady bonded to my daughter as well. if she was out, i was the one she followed around, but when she was home, i was in second place. she would split time at night between the bedrooms during the night to keep an eye on both of us.

in 2009 i found a lump on one of her front legs. we took her to the vet, and the lump was removed and biopsied. non cancerous tumor, retrievers are prone to them, so they are no big deal. she had a couple more pop up between then and late 2010, and all were handled the same way. in early 2011, we noticed that she had started to loose weight, and didn't seem to have as much energy as she used to. we figured it was old age, and thought nothing of it at first. soon after, a large tumor started to form on her abdomin, so we took her to the vet to get it checked. this time, it was the worst news we could have gotten. cancer.

the vet told us that she had maybe a couple of months left, as it didn't seem to cause her discomfort at that point. take her home, keep her comfortable, and enjoy the time you have left. when the time comes, let me know and we'll take care of her for you. the part that got me is, our vet had tears in her eyes and a hitch in her voice when she said this. she'd gotten attached to her too.

we had her put to sleep in late june of 2011. my wife, my ex, and i were there in the room with her when her heart beat it's last. in the end, she knew she was loved. my uncle and a close family friend dug the grave in our garden for her while we were at the vet's office, and she took the rest of the night off to help with the burial. (where in the hell did i put that box of kleenexes?) burried with her is a bottle of labatt's blue, her favorite. i would open one, and have to pour it into a dish for her, otherwise she would tip the bottle over and lick it off the floor. lol. her leash still sits behind the seat in my truck, and her tags are on my key ring. can't tell i miss her, can ya?

it's gonna hurt for a while, that is the price we pay for their love and devotion, but soon you will be able to look back and smile. so much happiness leads to some pretty bad pain, but it is worth it in the end. we have gotten another dog, my wife's lab who came from a similar situation. she is not a replacement for lady, i don't expect her to be. each dog is just as unique as each one of us is.

you and your's are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lady

1997 to 28 June, 2011.
File Type: jpg 100_1228_resized.jpg (31.4 KB, 9 views)

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #20

We lost Mo( Shlomo) 2 yrs. Ago at 4-1/2 due to heart failure. The trip west freaked him out and Stressed him, he was also a Bulldog, but a std. English,...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talkh