Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > water well question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 02:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default water well question

ok so i am fairly new at the water well scene . i bought a cabin 3 years ago and dont know much about this well (or wells period ). i took the well cap off recently and noticed some junk stuck in near the top of my well . just some sticks and some rust scaleing (good sized hunks )near the top . it got me to thinking do wells ever have to be cleaned out ? i vaguely remember reading something about this on the net ? info greatly needed ......

by the way , i believe it is a deep well, with a steel caseing and an electric pump which is piped into the cabin . mainly used for washing now do to an iron (i think,due to brown staining in sinks) content .we haul water from home to drink (mostly coffee and for the dog ).someday we will move to this location so i am considering a filter system (whole house ).....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2010, 02:37 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

I do not have any idea. But the Guys over here PlumbingForum may be able to help.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:39 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Dont know wells, but rusty water can come from old galvanized pipes.

Have to change the pipes to copper to fix that.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can have a well guy look at it, but it doesn't sound like it needs cleaning. You can have a filtration and chlorination system added for a fairly reasonable price. No filtration sounds like it's the iron (red-water) problem. FYI, Iron won't hurt you at all...just looks nasty!

Old 03-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1743 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 1986

Default Well Water

As Per your request, Just search Well Water on the net and you will find all the answers to your questions. Don't use this water for anything untill you have it tested. Wills in Da Swamp in La. One Shot One Kill......

Old 03-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

For the most part wells don't need anything done to them. My mom has a 125' well my dad has a 230' well. My moms we had to lower at one point because the water table dropped to apoint where the pump was not in any water. Later on we had to replace the pump. Our pump was on 2" PVC and after 15 years of work it broke off. The pump was attached to the well top by a rope.

Well pumps have a lot of torque because they are pumping water 100+' up and out with a good amount of pressure. I would get a water test kit from Home Depot or Lowes and test the water.

Wells are a don't fix it till it breaks kind of deal.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For once, there is a question in my area of expertise! If you set up a filtration system, it will take care of the iron. If you set up a disinfection (chlorine) system it will take care of the water-born pathogens (giardia, crypto-sporidium). It won't be as expensive as you think.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #8

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
For the most part wells don't need anything done to them. My mom has a 125' well my dad has a 230' well. My moms we had to lower at one point because the water table dropped to apoint where the pump was not in any water. Later on we had to replace the pump. Our pump was on 2" PVC and after 15 years of work it broke off. The pump was attached to the well top by a rope.

Well pumps have a lot of torque because they are pumping water 100+' up and out with a good amount of pressure. I would get a water test kit from Home Depot or Lowes and test the water.

Wells are a don't fix it till it breaks kind of deal.
+1 I've lived on well water for most of my life and never had one cleaned. Had pumps, pressure switches and leader pipe replaced but never had one cleaned.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 03-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

We had sulphur water on the farm, and Dad set up a settling/aeration tank to settle out the solids and oxygenate the water some. It consisted of a big tank with a hole on the top. No filter, no nothin'. From there, it was pumped into the stone cistern under the house, and we didn't drink it.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 03-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #10

sounds good and thanks . i will have a test done to the water . no galv. pipes in the system that i know of .the pipe going in is plastic , and inside is a ll copper . the rust in inside the well caaseing and possibly in the water itself .