Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Wasp spray over pepper spray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Default Wasp spray over pepper spray

Got this in an email.

OK who is gonna let me spray them in the face with a can of wasp spray?

If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you.
Did you know this? I didn't. I never really thought of it before.

I guess I can get rid of the baseball bat.

Wasp Spray

A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection.

Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.
Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades.
It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray.

"That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out."

Maybe even save a life.

Please share this with all the people in your life.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have heard this about the wasp spray before. I was also told that the person sprayed with the stuff would have to go to the hospital for decontamination. Apparently chemicals that kill insects on contact are just too strong for tap water to wash out of someones eyes. I don't know if the spray can/will do permanent damage to the eyes, but does that really mater if it keeps you or a loved one safe?

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I can see it now...Congress has a special session to vote on new legislation on Wasp spray. Nancy Pelosi said"It has become an epidemic of Biblical proportions." She then went on to say how 2 out of three children this year have died from accidental spraying and those numbers concern her. There were also massive protests from Peta as they were originaly unaware that a spray to kill Wasps i.e the insect. They thought it was for Wasps meaning white men of European descent.

Seriously though, it does sound like a good idea though. If it sprays accurately up o 30 feet that is better than my .380 LOL

Old 12-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

if it works, it isn't stupid. Buddy of mine got acosted by two guys (1 with gun) while pumping gas in his car late at night. Fast thinker, he just shot them in the face with the gas, good range on the pump apparently. Hard to shoot when you are puking and tying to breathe. The cops loved it.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Most wasp/hornet spray products use petroleum in the mixture, so yes it can do permanent eye damage. Had an older neighbor who thought she was doing me a favor by spraying me with "Off" one day while I was working in her yard. It turned out to be foaming ant/cockroach spray!

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 12-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Really? I'll have to point this out to my anti-gun sister. She is a PHd and all, but i don't think even she is anti-wasp spray.

Is anybody else wondering how they combat wasps in England? I mean, if they aren't really even allowed a decent knife, surely their oppressors are aware of the wasp spray conspiracy.

You are referring to wasps the insect, not WASP's as in white anglo saxon protestant, right?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 12-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1988 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 2958

Never heard of using wasp spray for self defense before. Easy Off oven cleaner works really well too. Used to teach self defense to ladies as a part of a rape prevention course. A the end of training I would give each of them a small can of Easy Off oven cleaner with a stream nozzle.

One day I got a call from a policeman in the southern part of the state: "I just want to talk with the guy who told a lady here to use Easy Off on an attacker. She was attacked and she followed your instructions. One side of the guys face and neck looks like it ran and he is blind on one eye."

Last edited by alsaqr; 12-19-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
Never heard of using wasp spray for self defense before. Easy Off oven cleaner works really well too. Used to teach self defense to ladies as a part of a rape prevention course. A the end of training I would give each of them a small can of Easy Off oven cleaner with a stream nozzle.

One day I got a call from a policeman in the southern part of the state: "I just want to talk with the guy who told a lady here to use Easy Off on an attacker. She was attacked and she followed your instructions. One side of the guys face and neck looks like it ran and he is blind on one eye."
that disturbs me...she should have gotten both sides of his face!

Old 12-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #10

Liked 225 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Gentlemen :
One advantage of pepper spray is that you can use it more recklessly than you can a dangerous weapon. For example, you can tell a stranger in a parking garage to stop and stay away from you. If he moves closer, you pepper spray him. If he turns out to be innocent, the worst you've done is an assault and battery. You can shoot a dog with the stuff even if you aren't sure it will bite you.
Look for the cone dispersal pattern pepper spray in a MKIII with flap safety mechanism.

I've heard of an old lady who successfully used a perfume spray bottle loaded with ammonia...