Washington Times Journalist requests feedback from gun owners - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Washington Times Journalist requests feedback from gun owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin
Arguing that the second amendment only applied to muskets is like arguing that voting and freedom only apply to white males.

Make a constitutional amendment, don't bypass the rule of law with executive orders and federal agencies.
Well said we have the 2a to protect us from our gov. Not to hurt!!! I can't say that enough times our rights to have ANY kind of firearm we want will not be infringed on anymore

Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 AM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 76 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Well, the part that makes me chuckle is when they say 'We only want 'common sense' adjustments to the Status Quo"

I say, first they have to find some common sense. The ignorant and idiotic (hopefully that's not an insult to those that are merely ignorant and idiotic) politicians and press/media need to learn before they comment and render their ridiculous opinion.

I applaud Tiffany for taking the time to try and keep it fair.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 939 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Tiffany,

I have become increasingly vocal and adamant about not supporting anti 2nd amendment companies. No guns allowed, my money isn't good enough for their business.

Think about the following signs on doors
No Blacks permitted
No Japanese allowed
No Jews allowed.

Bill of rights does not specify heritage, but it does specify firearms.

Am I perfect in my boycott? No, and I've unfortunately have made some exceptions, but they are becoming increasingly rarer.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #64

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanymadison View Post
As gun owners and firearm advocates, are you increasingly taking your business to establishments that support your concealed carry or right to carry on premises? Or, are your attitudes remaining the same as they always have in regards to choosing establishments that allow you to carry?

Quote:
If trends continue, would you consider boycotting establishments that advocate for gun control politically or voice their “gun free zone” status as a business or organization publicly in support of gun control?
Yes. I will absolutely refuse to watch any movie staring any freedom hating hollywood actor. I refuse to shop at any business that is Anti-Freedom.

There's a very good example you might consider using that happened here on this very forum, invovling all of our members concerning Bass Pro Shops in Gurnee, Illinois. You can read the whole thing here
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/bass-pro-shops-gone-too-far-59958/

But the short version is that Bass Pro Shops in Illinois were taking their legal advice from an Illinois State Police officer who thought it was his duty to send out bad legal advice to local businesses

Quote:
Larry L. Whiteley lwhiteley@basspro.com
1:24 PM (1 hour ago)

to me
Thank you for your e-mail and I thank you for standing up for our 2nd amendment rights as we have always done and will continue to do.
In regards to gun policies at our stores, our company policy is to follow the gun laws in the state in which that store is in as they vary across the country.
Below is what we have been told by the Illinois State Police –

Residents of bordering states can purchase long guns and ammo.
Inter-changeable ammo such as 9MM for long guns and hand guns is okay, if
the customer is purchasing at same time as firearm purchase. Nothing in
writing stating that, use your best judgment. Better not to sell 9MM,
7.62MM to non-residents, impossible to determine their use. Same applies
to those not from bordering states, if they purchase a non-resident hunting
license first for long guns or ammo. No hand gun ammo in Illinois for
non-residents. Be all that you can be!
----- Forwarded by Mark Marston/IlStPolice on 10/05/2011 12:28 PM -----

So, as you can see, this is the rule we are following. It is not our rule!
So, instead of getting with their legal department, Bass Pro Shops in Illinois decided it best to listen to a Police Officer and refuse to sell ammunition to anyone not a citizen of Illinois.

I'll go into more details later if you're interested, but suffice it to say, they made a VERY bad decision. After we spoke out to them, heavily, for a long time, they finally woke up, got w/ their Corporate lawyer team, and found out the Officer was wrong, we were right, and they reversed their decision, eliminating the anti-2nd Amendment policy.

For a while I had considered buying from them again - because I was ecstatic they had reversed their policy as the result of all of our hard work - but the more I thought about it, the more I considered it to be nothing short of infedility. Once a cheater, always a cheater. They may have reversed their decision, but they had already turend theri backs on us once, and didn't do everything in their power to stand up for OUR RIGHTS, and caved into pressure, adopting a policy that was even more strict than even Illinois FOID law (which is quite a feat to accomplish)

Funny enough, Larry Whitely didnt' even have the decency to thank any of us for showing his company where they were wrong so that they could make even more money. He seemed scorned that we had even brought it up. To hell with Bass Pro Shops.

Quote:
Do you feel that a new form of discrimination is emerging against lawful gun-owners?
Yes. We have become the scapegoat for a lethargic political system. Politicians talk big game when it comes to the war on drugs, the war on poverty, the war on this, the war on that, but they never follow through because they simply don't have the power. Same thing here, with "school shootings" or mass shootings of any kind. They can't face the music that it is their policies that make these happen to the degree of which they do. They're not ncessarily 100% at fault, but they DO share some of the blame for making things like Gun Free zones and restrictions like we have here in Illinois on things like Concealed Carry.

We are the new villains. It's very obvious. The media, the President, and people at the water cooler, aren't talking about ways to keep criminals from getting guns, they're talking about how to keep John and Jane doe from having a gun. There's a seedy underbelly to all of this, and anyone who supports it now, will not be supported by me, later, when they need it most.

I believe it was Will Smith who provides the best quote:

"If you're absent during my struggle, don't expect to be present during my success"
People Like This 
Old 01-10-2013, 03:08 AM   #65

Liked 3108 Times on 1857 Posts
Likes Given: 2148

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanymadison View Post
Greetings – my name is Tiffany Madison and I’m an independent journalist with Washington Times Digital Media. My column is titled Citizen Warrior and I cover civil liberties and veteran’s issues. Gun control is a hot topic as legislators attempt to introduce a wide array of measures to restrict the Second Amendment. A recent list of businesses that do not support the Second Amendment has emerged.

As gun owners and firearm advocates, are you increasingly taking your business to establishments that support your concealed carry or right to carry on premises? Or, are your attitudes remaining the same as they always have in regards to choosing establishments that allow you to carry? If trends continue, would you consider boycotting establishments that advocate for gun control politically or voice their “gun free zone” status as a business or organization publicly in support of gun control? Do you feel that a new form of discrimination is emerging against lawful gun-owners?
if i wanted to to address those who seek to incorporate new gun restrictions, i would want to discuss a few issues of importance from my standpoint.

1) First, these mass shootings that have arisen in our culture shock and hurt gun owners as much as anyone else. most of us have family (i have very young children), and the recent issues have been as heartbreaking to me as anyone else. my sincere sympathies to all the families of the victims in these senseless tragedies.

2) next, i believe the vast majority of gun owners will support measures to keep guns out of the hands of violent criminals, the mentally ill, or unsupervised children. IF the laws set in place have a legitimate chance of lessening gun violence.

3) in addition, i will not support something like an "assault weapon ban." why? first, because it is based on fear and misunderstanding of firearms. second, because it will do nothing to prevent or even decline gun violence. those trying to "demonize" certain weapons are living in a fantasy land, completely oblivious to the fact that ANY weapon is dangerous in the hands of a dangerous individual. simply put, and contrary to popular belief, the color black and pistol grips do not make a firearm more deadly.

4) i do believe that decent, law abiding gun owners are being unfairly attacked and stereotyped by the media on a constant basis. the vast majority of gun owners are safe, responsible people who simply enjoy shooting sports and hunting. i feel like there is attempt to try and connect anyone who owns a black auto loading rifle to radical thought and extremism. but honestly, most people who legally own an AR-15 (or similar firearm) just enjoy hunting or shooting responsibly with them.

5) i will boycott companies who refuse to sell LEGAL merchandise to customers based on fear and overreaction. i find it quite hypocritical for a company to profit from particular rifles or magazines for years, only to pull it from the shelves in an attempt to appear to be "good guys." to my knowledge, NONE of these companies made this stand openly before these firearms starting receiving negative press.

thanks for your time and listening to our concerns.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #66
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

I recently have stopped watching the Office and 30 Rock because they are msnbc and recently msnbc has really been going after guns and gun owners

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 01-10-2013, 03:38 AM   #67

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yes ma'am, I most certainly will. Thank you.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:00 AM   #68
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Let the people know that America's gun owners will not give up our rights

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
tiffanymadison Likes This 
Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 AM   #69

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

I'm in the navy reserves and I find it intolerable that some people cannot respect other Americans rights to own guns. I do not own any AR type rifles. But i don't care if any body else does as long as they obtain them legally. I think gun owners are being discriminated against. We are tax payers, we are voters we are veterans,and business owners we are like everybody else but yet people try to infringe on are right.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #70

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

The long and the short of it really boils down to this:

When the government decides that I can no longer be trusted to own the products I purchased "lawfully"... I decide the I no longer trust the government to govern and all bets are off.

My obligation to obey the law ENDS when that law crosses the line of abridging my 2nd Amendment rights.

Tack