Washington Times Journalist requests feedback from gun owners - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Washington Times Journalist requests feedback from gun owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanymadison View Post
As gun owners and firearm advocates, are you increasingly taking your business to establishments that support your concealed carry or right to carry on premises?
Yes, but to the degree that I live in the only state, Illinois, that does not
allow me to defend myself or my family.

Quote:
If trends continue, would you consider boycotting establishments that advocate for gun control politically or voice their “gun free zone” status as a business or organization publicly in support of gun control?
Yes.

Quote:
Do you feel that a new form of discrimination is emerging against lawful gun-owners?
Yes, but it is nothing new.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

tiffanymadison Likes This 
Old 01-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #52

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I would carry in an unfriendly environment, if bag guys know they are safe, they will commit crime.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #53
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9561 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Tiffany- you may certainly use the quote. And yes, the proposed actions by the banners IS sexist, racist, elitist- and would not be tolerated in regard to any other right enumerated in the Constitution. (Would you like to show you have a NEED to publish articles in the press?)

Regarding "reaching out" to the folks that are undecided- except they DO want their kids to be safe (THAT they have pretty well decided...)

SOME of that has been done for us in the past 2 weeks- witness the RECORD number of 1st time gun buyers.

SOME of that will be to counter the outright lies- gun ownership is NOT an anomaly, it is NOT rare, gun violence is NOT on the increase in the US, streets are NOT running with blood after a state decides to permit concealed carry, and you CANNOT buy bazookas and machine guns at the local bait & tackle shop. It is estimated that there are ABOUT 280 MILLION firearms owned by private citizens in the US. Versus 3 million owned by the US military.

SOME will be when we get off our butts, and start actively supporting candidates for office that get it.

MUCH of it will be when we reach out 1-on-1 to a non-shooter. And take them to a range. Let them see for themselves that gun owners are not Rambo.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #54
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 264 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I can't add much more to what has been said here except that I think you will be a voice crying in the wilderness of liberal antigun media and I wish a Pulitzer Prize on you.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

People Like This 
Old 01-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1818 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Tiffany, once your article is written, will you please share the link?

Old 01-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #56

Liked 795 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Greetings – my name is Tiffany Madison and I’m an independent journalist with Washington Times Digital Media. My column is titled Citizen Warrior and I cover civil liberties and veteran’s issues. Gun control is a hot topic as legislators attempt to introduce a wide array of measures to restrict the Second Amendment. A recent list of businesses that do not support the Second Amendment has emerged.

As gun owners and firearm advocates, are you increasingly taking your business to establishments that support your concealed carry or right to carry on premises? Or, are your attitudes remaining the same as they always have in regards to choosing establishments that allow you to carry? If trends continue, would you consider boycotting establishments that advocate for gun control politically or voice their “gun free zone” status as a business or organization publicly in support of gun control? Do you feel that a new form of discrimination is emerging against lawful gun-owners?
http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/high-tide-and-turn/2013/jan/9/biden-gun-control-president-obama-considering-exec/

I had to take a look before believing that a anyone genuine cared much about what the pro-gun/protection side had to say. Thank you for that.

As for where I take my business; It is not to anti-firearm companies. I would consider those ares more unsafe due to the fact that only those that don't care about the rules have personal protection. A disarmed society is a society controlled at will.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 01-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #57

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
That is a most excellent example, actually. May I respectfully request attribution either anonymously or directly? Either in this article or my next piece on how gun control is "sexist", i.e. women are the most violated demographic in the history of the world, yet most of them support disarmament though the firearm is the only equalizer between themselves and a larger, stronger aggressor. I carry concealed and this is why, yet so many women do not support my right to self-defense, which is baffling.

As to this:

Yes, discimination against gun owners is so outright as to be batant- along with demonization of anything or anyone associated with firearms. Review the editorial cartoons bashing the NRA in the past 2 weeks- no connection shown between the CT school shooting and the NRA- but bash away they will.

Do you think there is anything the gun culture or gun advocacy community can do to create a bridge not between themselves and "banners", but between the fence-sitters?

Actually there is, and it's one word, education. Most people fear what they don't know or don't understand. They also fear changes again because they don't understand the why's for the change or the uncertainty of the end results. One problem though is trying to change steadfast opinions.

For instance, my oldest daughter was a staunch liberal who voted for Obama in '08, and hated guns even though she knew I carried a gun everywhere I went since I was 21 years old.

Last year she and the rest of her family came to visit me and I had decided to take my 12 year old grandson to the range. She bitterly fought against the idea but I finally told her that my grandson was going to shoot a gun at least once in his lifetime and if he didn't like it, I would never force the issue again. I also offered her the opportunity to come along, which she did more to keep an eye on her son.

Long story short, I truly believe she saw her son enjoying himself and after prodding her a few times she came forward to shoot. Taking my time with her and showing her the operation, she fired a few rounds. Then more rounds and more rounds. I reloaded several more standard capacity magazines (high capacity clips to the unknowing) and she went through those too. Guess what? She told me she was having a good time, and enjoyed shooting.

Maybe that's what it will take, one person at a time.

Adding to another of your inquiries, I too, avoid businesses and places that are opposed to my beliefs. There are many other places that want my business and I will support them in return.

The current administration and those who are rallying for restrictions or bans need to sit back and look at the economic picture too. There is a massive amount of money generated by guns, ammo, accessories, hunting trips, and range trips, etc. How many jobs will be lost, or how many small businesses will be shut down should more restrictions be placed.

It seems to me that the millions of responsible gun owners are being penalized for political power, media pressure, and because we are the easiest to attack while not solving the real issue.

Good luck to you Tiffany. Thank you for joining our group and allowing us to open up on this issue.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Last edited by Car54; 01-10-2013 at 01:26 AM.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #58
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 635 Times on 351 Posts
Likes Given: 2653

If I know a business is ANTI-GUN,
such as rite aid,
I shop some where else.
Have not bought a coke
or
union oil gas in years.
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 01-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 82 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Tiffany:
Thanks for doing this article, it's almost beyond belief that someone from "Mainstream" news would be interested in presenting the (currently) unpopular point of view (as often presented by today's politicians and media).

A point I'd like to make with regards to registration (in any of its many forms). I am an Illinois resident, formerly Chicago, now in Cook County.

I lived in Chicago while Jane Byrne was mayor. At the time, there was a major push for registration in the City; "what's the harm in registration?" was the general response to any push-back or suspicion. Eventually, the registration ordnance was passed.

Almost immediately, the mayor and her crew proclaimed the "registration is frozen, there can be no more guns registered until further notice." In addition, those with "grandfathered" arms (those with acceptable firearms at the time) had to re-register and pay a fee every year or the firearms would become illegal.

It's been decades, but that has recently be rolled back, thanks to the recent Supreme Court rulings.

It's situations like this that make any "registration" effort suspect among the firearm enthusiasts. The government, especially the Liberal element of government, seem willing to lie and "cheat" any way they can to get their policies enacted, regardless of any and all stats that show it will be ineffective. The bulk of the press / media seem willing to help them with those goals ... as pointed out earlier, they are not familiar with firearms and so tend to be "scared" of them and apprehensive about the firearm enthusiast community.

I have taken several people to the shooting range; all were "against" firearms and saw no place in civilized society for such evil hardware. After some basic rules ("all guns are loaded" etc.) and education about the weapon's operation we spent an hour or so shooting paper targets and getting used to the guns.

All but one are now gun owners (and the one is no longer anti-gun, she just doesn't have any interest in shooting).

Tiffany, as I'm sure you know, Knowledge is Power, and if the general public knew more about firearms and firearm safety, we wouldn't be going through all this. The NRA's role has always been one of public information and education (in addition to the lobbyist role). When I was in Jr. High School and High School (graduated in '73), "hunter safety" and firearm education classes were done in Phys Ed right along with Sex Ed classes. They even brought in handguns and rifles for demonstration.

Personally, I'd like to thank you for helping to get the word out, and I'd encourage you to find a firearm enthusiast or an NRA class and see for yourself what some of the shooting sports are like. IF you like it, that's great; but even if you don't enjoy them, you'll have the knowledge to discuss the issue rationally and with balance that is missing in so much of today's media.

Also note that there is a "Civilian Marksmanship Program," which is a program initially chartered by the Government to promote shooting sport and prepare the population for potential military service (WikiPedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilian_Marksmanship_Program).

also

http://www.odcmp.com/

Citizens can apply to purchase cheap surplus M1 Garands; a magazine-fed semi-automatic rifle that shoots 30-06 ammunition - more powerful than current military weapons carried by the average soldier or Marine.

Thanks again

(BTW: if the second amendment only applied to muskets, then it also only applies to public speaking and newspapers, since there was no electronic media when the Bill of Rights was written or ratified ... what applies to one, applies to them all)

Last edited by scottmac; 01-10-2013 at 01:43 AM.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #60

Liked 4543 Times on 2262 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Arguing that the second amendment only applied to muskets is like arguing that voting and freedom only apply to white males.

Make a constitutional amendment, don't bypass the rule of law with executive orders and federal agencies.

Arbitrary enforcement of the law is the mark of tyranny. Citizens will always fight against it.

People Like This