Washington Times Journalist requests feedback from gun owners - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Washington Times Journalist requests feedback from gun owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanymadison View Post
Great distinction! May I ask: what do you think is the source of so much gun violence (though it is worth mentioning that gun crime is on the decline in the U.S. and at near-historic lows as gun ownership has risen) and how would a society as ours best direct conversation toward gun violence instead of gun control?
Tiffany,

I believe the source of the majority of US gun violence is driven by our current war on drugs.

Drug prohibition, just like our earlier attempt at alcohol prohibition has created a black market supply chain where anyone willing to kill for proffit...can proffit immensely. The wealth generated from this illicit trade has also contributed to corruption within our policitcal and Law Enforcement classes just as did durring the prohibition of Alchohol. I have no doubt that the people making the big bucks who run these organizations are able to buy all the Government protection they need while sacrificing Americas inner city youths to lives certain to lead to death or prison.

This is why I believe that Gun Control is more than a simple cry for safety from the misinformed masses. The simple logic of it is faulty to a degree identifiable by any middle school student so I find it impossible to believe that elected officials are simply failing to understand.

They understand perfectly that it's not about controlling guns...it's about controlling us so we are incapable of interfering with there plans...and they use a population of "useful idiots" to active there goals.

In the end...ENERYTHING comes down to MONEY...so understanding the struggle requires the willingness to accept that those who were chosen to lead and who support gun control have chosen a path of increased violence and death because it directly increases their power and thus their ability to proffit.

As for your original questions, no I do not do business with anti gun organizations and none of the listed organizations surprise me.

Tack
Tack

Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #32
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3114 Times on 1789 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanymadison View Post
Great distinction! May I ask: what do you think is the source of so much gun violence (though it is worth mentioning that gun crime is on the decline in the U.S. and at near-historic lows as gun ownership has risen) and how would a society as ours best direct conversation toward gun violence instead of gun control?
Look at history. After WWII and before 1963. We had thousands of veterans come back from WWII that did not commit the violence with firearms we have today. They had the same stress and post trauma syndrome that is happening today. Why would they be different than today? Most could be attributed to their upbringing. The beliefs instill in them in home, church, school, and media.

Today, violence is glamorized, then it was not.

Do I have an answer to controlling gun violence? No. Would controlling firearms reduce gun violence? Ask the Jews in NAZI Germany. They were forced to gun control and where did that put them? Any resistance from the Jews, and they were shot. So the Jews did not resist and got imprisoned. The rest of the story is well known.

A dysfunctional childhood is used as an excuse for some people. I can disagree with that. I came from a dysfunctional child hood. I was abused, beaten, my parents divorced, my brothers and sisters were "farmed" out to foster homes. But, none of us resorted to violence. I now have a good job and understand that violence is not the answer to my problems. Do I have firearms? Yes. Am I violent? No.

What is the cause of our violent society? I cannot pinpoint anything specific.

I know that I had to really look at myself and decide what type of individual I wanted to be.

Evil is a term people like to put on inanimate objects. Evil guns, evil alcohol, evil video games, etc..... Evil is a personality trait. And only people and animals can have an evil personality.

Education, guidance, and attention from others could help in reducing violence, but not eliminate it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #33

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Hi Tiffany, thanks for taking the time to reach out to this forum to get the responses of many.....from all ages, genders, backgrounds, and regions of the country. We sure need more pro-active, intelligent responses to the gun restrictions that are only days away from passing legislation. In fact, Obama is considering ramming a bill through if Congress stalls (He sort of has to at this point, given his party stance).

To answer your question, I would personally avoid any local business in my daily travels that makes it a POINT to be vocal about their anti-gun stance. Here in PA, which has fairly loose gun laws, these businesses would suffer. Some day, hopefully, these folks will realize that every new gun-free zone and new restriction placed on responsible CCW citizens like many of us here...could result in a crime that could have been slowed, or prevented. Criminals dont follow laws or stupid signs, period.

I think its interesting to note, that being a guy who's now carried for a few years....that every once in a while I will make a point to glance down around the 3-4:00 area on a peron's hip to see if I notice a slight bulge in the shirt. I have spotted quite a few over the years.....from Lowe's to 7-11, Dunkin Donuts and more than once in the supermarket. It's sort of a secret among us CCW folks that we stick together and carry responsibly for the same reasons: to hopefully stop any immediate threat or mortal danger imposed on us or those around us....specially our family or friends. We strap on our holsters & wear our firearms with a sense of pride, and personal & civil responsibility. You cannot fight armed criminals with harsh words or even a knife. You stop a bad guy with a gun by drawing your gun first and making the shots count....using sharp judgement with consideration for those around you.

So, in this current climate of fear, anger, and anxiety surrounding guns and magazine capacity, I sure hope the gun community summons a champion to really gather public support and relinquish these fears about why we own guns and why we choose to carry for self defense. And NOT freaking Alex Jones! That was an absolutely disgrace and made the gun community take a step backward.

Lastly, any business who takes a stance AGAINST guns should really come to the realization that police response times arent always great, and most times the crime has already happened by the time cops arrive. MORE small business owners should be at the front of this fight standing alongside us, defending not only their lives....but their livelihoods.

AMEN

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; 01-09-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #34

Liked 4545 Times on 2263 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Prescription drugs taken as prescribed in hospitals are the fourth leading cause of death in the U.S and Canada, after cancer, heart disease and strokes. They cause about 10,000 deaths a year in Canada and about 106,000 deaths a year and over two million serious injuries in the U.S. (Source: Lazarou et al JAMA Vol. 279 No. 15 pp.1200-1205 Incidence of Adverse Drug Reactions in Hospitalized Patients)
Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #35

Liked 4545 Times on 2263 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

In other words.... This nation doesn't have a gun problem, it has a media problem.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #36

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm going to begin writing my article, gents. Thank you so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I will return with a link once it is live. In other news, this just in: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/biden-claims-obama-may-use-executive-orders-to-crack-down-on-guns/

Old 01-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #37

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Yupp, and what did I just say a few posts up!

Unreal.....

Cross your fingers and get ready to play some heavy defense kiddies. Good luck and please post your article once its ready Tiffany

Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #38

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Tiffany,

You asked another member what the pro gun community could do to "reach out" to the fence sitters.

I can tell you that for a long time we made the mistake of simply talking about gun rights. While editorials showing the POSSITIVE attributes of gun ownership are certainly welcome, we, as gun owners, do far better by simply offering to take a coworker or a neighbor to the range.

I have personally introduced dozens of people to the shooting sports because I feel it is my obligation to do so. Every one of them grins ear to ear the first time they touch off a .45 ACP and every one of them has developed into a safe responsible gun owner.

Dozens does not sound like a big number but when you consider the people they influence and the children they raise...well, you see where this is going.

The buying craze that ensues everytime a Democrat says the words Gun Control is largely fueled by first time buyers who have shot with or simply know guys like us who are willing to teach and mentor a new member.

As you know, we are very proud of our heritage and those of us fortunate enough to have been raised this way...taught by trusted fathers and grandfathers...are very happy to share our knowledge and in doing so, create new shooters...WHO VOTE.

Per my previous post, we have a battle on two fronts. Those of us without a platform contribute by creating new shooters and supporting our NRA. those of you with a platform need to rediscover investigative journalism and start asking the real questions of why "apparently" educated civil servants are pushing policies that will not have the intended effect...what's there true motive?

We already know that answer but it's up to you to show it to the fence sitters.

Tack

Old 01-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #39
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3114 Times on 1789 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

Thank you for your time.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #40

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Wow, a lot of great responses here. I can't think of much more to add than what has already been stated. I'm a relatively new gun carrier myself. I will try not to do business with a business that is "posted". There are a few times that I don't have a choice, so I just grin and bear it. Now what I found interesting is at the Aurora theater shooting, this individual picked the only theater that was "posted". Why would he have picked this one? I wonder.

As a lot of the folks here have stated, a gun is an inanimate object. It's a tool like a shove, axe or hammer. Used properly there should be no issues with it. Used improperly, well, we've seen what unfortunate things can take place.

I agree that there needs to be a stronger look at mental health on this issue. However I don't agree with the proposed data base that will flag an individual on their mental state or certain medications that they are on. I feel this is a violation of HIPPA and shouldn't be allowed. I do believe that if an individual has a mental condition they should admit to it, or the family members need to bring it to the proper authority’s attention. I feel a lot of times family members will coddle the person and make excuses for them. This isn't helping anyone by doing this. I see this a lot as I also work in the Fire/EMS field.

I personally don't see that any gun bans/restrictions/magazine sizes/ammo bans or taxes will really help anything, except put a burden on the law abiding citizen. And, the criminals will not abide by these laws anyway, so why have our Politicians waste their time on these issues when it won't really work in the long run.

Thank you for your time and getting into the trenches with the gun folks. I wish more of the media would do the same so they can learn the proper terminology and facts about guns and gun owners. I hope you find some good information here and can get it passed on to others.