Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Washington Times Journalist requests feedback from gun owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 49 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanymadison View Post
No apologies needed. This: //we have a large part of the country that only see guns on television. Semi-auto, assault rifle, clips, are terms they don’t understand but for some reason sound scary. Since they don’t value guns then they assume we shouldn’t either.//

May I respectfully request to use this quotation either in anonymous attribution or otherwise in that exact context? There is a secondary quote from a YouTube gun advocate - "Mr. Colion Noir" - and our interview that your statement would compliment. You should Google him sometime. He makes the argument that most Americans simply do not understand firearms and therefore advocate for their "control", but his theory is that this movement will fail. The narrative of gun control is not molding the average citizen who - in response to this new push - is instead flooding to their neighborhood gun show seeking firearms for the first time.
You certainly can use the quote. I am anxious to see your article.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #22

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Do I support businesses that practice discrimination against gun owners? Could I ask a question of you? From your name and avatar you are a young lady.

If I ran a business - say, a car dealership - and I had repeatedly made public statements that women were stupid, inferior to men, belonged in the kitchen, pregnant and barefoot, and had no business owning property, being paid equal wages to a man, voting or holding public office - could I interest you in a nice used car?
That is a most excellent example, actually. May I respectfully request attribution either anonymously or directly? Either in this article or my next piece on how gun control is "sexist", i.e. women are the most violated demographic in the history of the world, yet most of them support disarmament though the firearm is the only equalizer between themselves and a larger, stronger aggressor. I carry concealed and this is why, yet so many women do not support my right to self-defense, which is baffling.

As to this:

Yes, discimination against gun owners is so outright as to be batant- along with demonization of anything or anyone associated with firearms. Review the editorial cartoons bashing the NRA in the past 2 weeks- no connection shown between the CT school shooting and the NRA- but bash away they will.

Do you think there is anything the gun culture or gun advocacy community can do to create a bridge not between themselves and "banners", but between the fence-sitters?

Old 01-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #23

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Thank you. Does the credit of, "a gun owner from Ohio in an online Firearm discussion thread" work for you?

Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #24
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2273 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanymadison View Post
As gun owners and firearm advocates, are you increasingly taking your business to establishments that support your concealed carry or right to carry on premises? Or, are your attitudes remaining the same as they always have in regards to choosing establishments that allow you to carry? If trends continue, would you consider boycotting establishments that advocate for gun control politically or voice their “gun free zone” status as a business or organization publicly in support of gun control? Do you feel that a new form of discrimination is emerging against lawful gun-owners?
Tiffany, welcome to our forum!

There are many subjects on gun violence and gun control (IMO they are not the same, though some people in the media believe they are).

There are a lot of people who are against gun control (and to restrict firearms from a so called "Gun Free Zone" is a form of gun control). I will not patronize an establishment that has a form of gun control.

If the energy that is currently channeled towards gun control was diverted to gun violence, I believe that the problem of mass killings, shootings, gang banging would be reduced.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

People Like This 
Old 01-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #25

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Tiffany, welcome to our forum!

There are many subjects on gun violence and gun control (IMO they are not the same, though some people in the media believe they are).

There are a lot of people who are against gun control (and to restrict firearms from a so called "Gun Free Zone" is a form of gun control). I will not patronize an establishment that has a form of gun control.

If the energy that is currently channeled towards gun control was diverted to gun violence, I believe that the problem of mass killings, shootings, gang banging would be reduced.
Great distinction! May I ask: what do you think is the source of so much gun violence (though it is worth mentioning that gun crime is on the decline in the U.S. and at near-historic lows as gun ownership has risen) and how would a society as ours best direct conversation toward gun violence instead of gun control?

Old 01-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #26

Liked 3678 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Hello Tiffany. First of all, I want to congratulate you, as a journalist, for speaking to members of the firearm community in order to gain a real perspective. That speaks as a testament to your ethos and character, for which you have my praise.

I will try not to be lengthy but want to share my opinion.

I was a victim of a stabbing when I was 19. I was stabbed in my heart with a butchers knife, which pierced my right ventricle, causing me to flatline on an operating room table. I was resuscitated via emergency open heart surgery.
I have seen, first hand, that one person with a knife can control and dominate a situation, even though there were eight or more of us, and we had a weight bar (tossed from a window to us) for self defense. This was not a "street thug" type of incident either, but happened while we were college students, in the center of the nicest part of our city, in front of a Saks 5th avenue store (not notoriously placed in high crime areas).
An affront to firearm ownership, I take deadly serious, as I believe the lies and mistruths spread by the media are dangerous at best, and treasonous at worst.

My second point of contention, was the whole handling of the expiring of the "assault weapons ban" in 2005. All I heard from the media was how full auto machine guns would be flooding our streets, and how we needed to stop it. Mind you, I live in a city, in the south, on the East Coast, and Katrina was fresh in my mind. A friend told me to get an AK-47 for self protection, should civil law break down for days or weeks, as we saw in Katrina... a real threat in hurricane prone areas. Although hesitant, I decided to make the plunge, before they would be "banned again", as that's all the scare mongering from the media was talking about. I went to the gun store, and explained what I wanted, only to be laughed at by the gun store owner. He informed me what the assault weapons ban was about, and I left, embarrassed, with an extreme distrust of the media that I still carry to this day.

I REFUSE to do any business with anti-gun establishments, people, or media, and every "gun free zone" is bait for potential disaster.

So if that is the answer you are looking for, there it is. I will not do business with these people, and I will be sure to notify my friends, and like minded people, not to do business with these people.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #27

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Wow Mosin I never knew that happened.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #28

Liked 360 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 135

I was completely surprised to see how many companies, organizations, and famous people have taken the anti-gun stance here in America. Even more surprising was that the list is not complete as Pizza Hut, Wal-Mart, and Auto Zone have taken a stance against their workers being armed and capable of protecting themselves. My true hope is that the media will start playing fairly and presenting the real facts in an unbiased approach. The FBI.org site is a great place to look at the trends of crime in the United States and see where the real problems are.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #29

Liked 3678 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 619

I've also stated this before, but feel it is good to reiterate here...

When disaster strikes, which does not involve a firearm, society seeks practical solutions.

Take cars... We make speed limits, seat belts, we improve the vehicle engineering, we improve our hospital trauma units, etc...
Imagine a society where after every car crash, the media furiously advocated, through lies and deception, the banning of cars... If people picketed GM, saying "United Auto Workers" has blood on their hands...

Imagina a society, whom after September 11th, 2001, advocated for the banning of box cutters, instead of working to improve airplane security.
(on a side note, I find it ironic and sad that society wants armed air marshals to protect our planes, but not our children).

The point is, there are REAL solutions to this RARE anomaly called school shootings.

Keep in mind the first school massacre in the United States occurred in 1764, and our founders didn't rush to make "gun free zones"...

Instead we get our nations energies directed at either demonizing guns, gun owners, or defending gun rights...

If a roof collapsed on a school, would we be advocating banning roofs? or would we be seeking to prevent this from happening again.

We should be discussing mental health issues, active shooter drills at schools, improved security at schools, tax breaks for gun safes. Instead of gun buy back programs...how about gun safe programs? Allowing teachers to carry concealed if they choose to...ending "gun free zones". Whatever happened to the "police officers in schools program" which was defunded in 2011?

We had this discussion in 1999, after Columbine, but guess what... There WAS an assault weapons ban. Those kids were too young to own firearms.

They're having this discussion in Norway, but there ARE ALREADY restrictive gun laws there.

I mean, seriously... We're going to have this discussion no matter WHAT gun laws are on the books, because stuff like this HAPPENS, and it will ALWAYS happen, no matter what laws are "on the books."
It's time for real solutions, not make believe laws, where politicians can pat themselves on the back, and say "Look what I did, I banned collapsable stocks! Mission accomplished."

Old 01-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #30

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
I was completely surprised to see how many companies, organizations, and famous people have taken the anti-gun stance here in America. Even more surprising was that the list is not complete as Pizza Hut, Wal-Mart, and Auto Zone have taken a stance against their workers being armed and capable of protecting themselves. My true hope is that the media will start playing fairly and presenting the real facts in an unbiased approach. The FBI.org site is a great place to look at the trends of crime in the United States and see where the real problems are.
Thank you. I agree. One company I hope to highlight is Buffalo Wild Wings, whose primary demographic targets males 18-25, that are "sports fans". Same demographic that - curiously enough - have a high rate of firearm ownership and concealed carry participation. I am waiting for a statement from their corporate media representative in the hopes they may shed light on why - unlike Starbucks - they chose to restrict firearm ownership as a company instead of following the appropriate state laws in which they're doing business.