Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The ‘War on Work’.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1456 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

Default The ‘War on Work’.

As deep as the well of America ingenuity is, it doesn’t make up for the lack of respect physical work gets in this country, at least by the popular media.

One of the things that has always distressed me is the poor state of the vocational & skilled trade education & apprentice system is in our country. As if all kids should/could aspire to be software engineers, MBAs, lawyers, or whatever. As if anyone who works with their hands is somehow lesser. As if anyone who works with their hands doesn’t also use their minds. The Germans do the vocational thing right and, big surprise, they’re a country that, unlike us, actually makes and exports stuff.

This video of a TED Talk by Mike Rowe express my view interestingly. He also talks a lot about balls. It’s 20 minutes, watch it when you have some time.

Mike Rowe celebrates dirty jobs | Video on TED.com

Last edited by Vincine; 10-04-2011 at 02:43 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2011, 12:29 AM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
As deep as the deep well of America ingenuity is, it doesn’t make up for the lack of respect physical work gets in this country, at least by the popular media.

One of the things that has always distressed me is the poor state of the vocational & skilled trade education & apprentice system is in our country. As if all kids should/could aspire to be software engineers, MBAs, lawyers, or whatever. As if anyone who works with their hands is somehow lesser. As if anyone who works with their hands doesn’t also use their minds. The Germans do the vocational thing right and, big surprise, they’re a country that, unlike us, actually makes and exports stuff.

This video of a TED Talk by Mike Rowe express my view articulately. He also talks a lot about balls. It’s 20 minutes, watch it when you have some time.

Mike Rowe celebrates dirty jobs | Video on TED.com
You get a thumbs up.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 10-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7621 Times on 3316 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

PART of the problem- we have let our public education system be run by the "intelligentsia"- people that are incapable of changing a lightbulb. As a result, we have scads of unemployed youngsters that have recd training for nothing beyond watching TV, and nursing at the public teat- while you cannot FIND a skilled mechanic, plumber, electrician, heavy equipment operator.

I have one customer that is a cross country pipeliner. These folks lay about 5 miles of transmission pipe a day. Welded steel. They were paying welders in Northern CA $45 an hour. It IS very physically demanding work. BTW, they were working six 10 hr shifts a week- so that 20 hrs of time-and-a-half a week- How many Art History majors do you know making $3150 a week?

There was a program in Denver run by a lady that was a retired electrician- I was a volunteer instructor. The students are young welfare mothers that wanted to get off welfare- but had no job skills. Intensive 26 week program, easy to bust out- but on graduation, you are a trained, skilled construction laborer with a GED. We had about 45 students at a time. 2 years after graduation, average 95% still employed. Program was run with NO government money.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:23 AM   #4

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
PART of the problem- we have let our public education system be run by the "intelligentsia"- people that are incapable of changing a lightbulb. As a result, we have scads of unemployed youngsters that have recd training for nothing beyond watching TV, and nursing at the public teat- while you cannot FIND a skilled mechanic, plumber, electrician, heavy equipment operator.

I have one customer that is a cross country pipeliner. These folks lay about 5 miles of transmission pipe a day. Welded steel. They were paying welders in Northern CA $45 an hour. It IS very physically demanding work. BTW, they were working six 10 hr shifts a week- so that 20 hrs of time-and-a-half a week- How many Art History majors do you know making $3150 a week?

There was a program in Denver run by a lady that was a retired electrician- I was a volunteer instructor. The students are young welfare mothers that wanted to get off welfare- but had no job skills. Intensive 26 week program, easy to bust out- but on graduation, you are a trained, skilled construction laborer with a GED. We had about 45 students at a time. 2 years after graduation, average 95% still employed. Program was run with NO government money.

Glad you have a high opinion of cross country pipeliners! That's the job I got hurt on, went into a local construction company after recovering from the surgery. The most recent one I worked on was the Transcontinental Pipeline Project, my line went from east TX to AL.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2308 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 1067

There are times I wonder if we have too much education.

i.e. When a college grad needs a degree to work construction labor.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 10-04-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Like my daddy used to call it...."educated idiots"

built my first small block GM engine at 15...ASE certified in engines and transmissions at 19. now a journeyman tinner, metal fabricator...my kids dont know the difference between a ball peen and torx bit. or did i just fail at the only vocation i ever really took seriously....Dad

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-04-2011, 04:52 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm a plumber. Started college intending to be a lawyer. Then I watched what lawyers really do. Decided I couldn't lie for money, I'd rather be able to sleep at night.
ps. must say, I'm amazed at how few people can do absolutely NOTHING.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:19 AM   #8

Likes Given: 2

i started college for graphic design but didnt finish as i found i hated that college but i want/wanted that cushy desk job making stuff on 3D rendering programs and auto-cad..i love that kinda work but ive also been taught by my dad alot about automotive,electrical,woodworking,..so im kinda both worlds,but i know that in today's "over educated" world the guy who fixes your car or repairs your pipes your house or does the stuff that makes the world the college techy people work in even possible get no love..its a shame really.

S&W sigma 9mm
Savage arms .22 long rifle,w/ scope(had since 14)
you can take my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers..┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Attempting to give a f*ck: ███████████████████] 99% Complete... ERROR!: Unable to give a f*ck.
"Im gonna be that guy that has the room full of guns/knifes and enough ammo to out last the oncoming zombie apocalypse :D"-ME

Old 10-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6158 Times on 3734 Posts
Likes Given: 7033

I have deep respect and gratitude for the skilled workers who I hire to help me keep my house in shape. I have no such skills and I don't know where I'd be without these people. This is a place for everybody and we all do what we do best. No one job is more important than the other. Whether it's trash pickup, open heart surgery, plumbing, carpentry, architect, etc.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I have deep respect and gratitude for the skilled workers who I hire to help me keep my house in shape. I have no such skills and I don't know where I'd be without these people. This is a place for everybody and we all do what we do best. No one job is more important than the other. Whether it's trash pickup, open heart surgery, plumbing, carpentry, architect, etc.
Well spoken! Something i have always found true. i NEVER look down my nose at what another person does for an HONEST living. Even that guy flipping the burgers at Burger King is performing a needed task.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!