Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   The ‘War on Work’. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/war-work-49234/)

Vincine 10-04-2011 12:23 AM

The ‘War on Work’.

As deep as the well of America ingenuity is, it doesn’t make up for the lack of respect physical work gets in this country, at least by the popular media.

One of the things that has always distressed me is the poor state of the vocational & skilled trade education & apprentice system is in our country. As if all kids should/could aspire to be software engineers, MBAs, lawyers, or whatever. As if anyone who works with their hands is somehow lesser. As if anyone who works with their hands doesn’t also use their minds. The Germans do the vocational thing right and, big surprise, they’re a country that, unlike us, actually makes and exports stuff.

This video of a TED Talk by Mike Rowe express my view interestingly. He also talks a lot about balls. It’s 20 minutes, watch it when you have some time.

Mike Rowe celebrates dirty jobs | Video on TED.com

Ploofy 10-04-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincine (Post 592613)
As deep as the deep well of America ingenuity is, it doesn’t make up for the lack of respect physical work gets in this country, at least by the popular media.

One of the things that has always distressed me is the poor state of the vocational & skilled trade education & apprentice system is in our country. As if all kids should/could aspire to be software engineers, MBAs, lawyers, or whatever. As if anyone who works with their hands is somehow lesser. As if anyone who works with their hands doesn’t also use their minds. The Germans do the vocational thing right and, big surprise, they’re a country that, unlike us, actually makes and exports stuff.

This video of a TED Talk by Mike Rowe express my view articulately. He also talks a lot about balls. It’s 20 minutes, watch it when you have some time.

Mike Rowe celebrates dirty jobs | Video on TED.com

You get a thumbs up.

c3shooter 10-04-2011 01:15 AM

PART of the problem- we have let our public education system be run by the "intelligentsia"- people that are incapable of changing a lightbulb. As a result, we have scads of unemployed youngsters that have recd training for nothing beyond watching TV, and nursing at the public teat- while you cannot FIND a skilled mechanic, plumber, electrician, heavy equipment operator.

I have one customer that is a cross country pipeliner. These folks lay about 5 miles of transmission pipe a day. Welded steel. They were paying welders in Northern CA $45 an hour. It IS very physically demanding work. BTW, they were working six 10 hr shifts a week- so that 20 hrs of time-and-a-half a week- How many Art History majors do you know making $3150 a week?

There was a program in Denver run by a lady that was a retired electrician- I was a volunteer instructor. The students are young welfare mothers that wanted to get off welfare- but had no job skills. Intensive 26 week program, easy to bust out- but on graduation, you are a trained, skilled construction laborer with a GED. We had about 45 students at a time. 2 years after graduation, average 95% still employed. Program was run with NO government money.

trip286 10-04-2011 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 592717)
PART of the problem- we have let our public education system be run by the "intelligentsia"- people that are incapable of changing a lightbulb. As a result, we have scads of unemployed youngsters that have recd training for nothing beyond watching TV, and nursing at the public teat- while you cannot FIND a skilled mechanic, plumber, electrician, heavy equipment operator.

I have one customer that is a cross country pipeliner. These folks lay about 5 miles of transmission pipe a day. Welded steel. They were paying welders in Northern CA $45 an hour. It IS very physically demanding work. BTW, they were working six 10 hr shifts a week- so that 20 hrs of time-and-a-half a week- How many Art History majors do you know making $3150 a week?

There was a program in Denver run by a lady that was a retired electrician- I was a volunteer instructor. The students are young welfare mothers that wanted to get off welfare- but had no job skills. Intensive 26 week program, easy to bust out- but on graduation, you are a trained, skilled construction laborer with a GED. We had about 45 students at a time. 2 years after graduation, average 95% still employed. Program was run with NO government money.

Glad you have a high opinion of cross country pipeliners! That's the job I got hurt on, went into a local construction company after recovering from the surgery. The most recent one I worked on was the Transcontinental Pipeline Project, my line went from east TX to AL.

danf_fl 10-04-2011 01:42 AM

There are times I wonder if we have too much education.

i.e. When a college grad needs a degree to work construction labor.

fmj 10-04-2011 02:49 AM

Like my daddy used to call it...."educated idiots"

built my first small block GM engine at 15...ASE certified in engines and transmissions at 19. now a journeyman tinner, metal fabricator...my kids dont know the difference between a ball peen and torx bit.:confused: or did i just fail at the only vocation i ever really took seriously....Dad:confused:

freefall 10-04-2011 04:52 AM

I'm a plumber. Started college intending to be a lawyer. Then I watched what lawyers really do. Decided I couldn't lie for money, I'd rather be able to sleep at night.
ps. must say, I'm amazed at how few people can do absolutely NOTHING.

REDMIST89 10-04-2011 06:19 AM

i started college for graphic design but didnt finish as i found i hated that college but i want/wanted that cushy desk job making stuff on 3D rendering programs and auto-cad..i love that kinda work but ive also been taught by my dad alot about automotive,electrical,woodworking,..so im kinda both worlds,but i know that in today's "over educated" world the guy who fixes your car or repairs your pipes your house or does the stuff that makes the world the college techy people work in even possible get no love..its a shame really.

winds-of-change 10-04-2011 08:25 AM

I have deep respect and gratitude for the skilled workers who I hire to help me keep my house in shape. I have no such skills and I don't know where I'd be without these people. This is a place for everybody and we all do what we do best. No one job is more important than the other. Whether it's trash pickup, open heart surgery, plumbing, carpentry, architect, etc.

fmj 10-04-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 593081)
I have deep respect and gratitude for the skilled workers who I hire to help me keep my house in shape. I have no such skills and I don't know where I'd be without these people. This is a place for everybody and we all do what we do best. No one job is more important than the other. Whether it's trash pickup, open heart surgery, plumbing, carpentry, architect, etc.

Well spoken! Something i have always found true. i NEVER look down my nose at what another person does for an HONEST living. Even that guy flipping the burgers at Burger King is performing a needed task.