Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   wanna build accurate slug gun any advise? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/wanna-build-accurate-slug-gun-any-advise-2638/)

scruffyduck 11-20-2007 11:17 PM

wanna build accurate slug gun any advise?

considering an 870 20 ga. 3" with scope and cantilever bbl.
any suggestions?

alsaqr 11-25-2007 04:38 PM

"considering an 870 20 ga. 3" with scope and cantilever bbl."

A cantilever barrel is the way to go. i have that same gun with a rifle sight barrel-big boo boo. Get a good four power scope for that gun. A Leupold 4X36 is a great scope for a rifled barrel shotgun. A Weaver 4X is also a good scope.

bmynrd731 12-28-2011 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alsaqr (Post 12098)
"considering an 870 20 ga. 3" with scope and cantilever bbl."

A cantilever barrel is the way to go. i have that same gun with a rifle sight barrel-big boo boo. Get a good four power scope for that gun. A Leupold 4X36 is a great scope for a rifled barrel shotgun. A Weaver 4X is also a good scope.

I agree about the barrel with this guy and weaver is a good scope but Simmons also has a great slug/blackpowder scope at a really good price too. You might want to lok at the website and go from there. There are alot of different slug barrels and scopes it is all in the way you want the gun to be biult. But as a gunsmith and a single barrel shotgun guy i prefer single barrel shotgun with a simmons it what i have and what i use to kill a few deer every year. But thats me we all wan that great gun, but it has to be what you want not what someone tells you is best. Good luck and keep on shooting.

aandabooks 12-28-2011 11:36 PM

Get a H&R Ultra Slug with the heavy barrel. Mine will produce cloverleafs at 100 yards shooting Remington sabots at 1850 fps. Heavy gun at 9.5 before the scope. Not something I would want to walk around with all day. Good thing I hunt from a stand.

dragunovsks 12-29-2011 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aandabooks
Get a H&R Ultra Slug with the heavy barrel. Mine will produce cloverleafs at 100 yards shooting Remington sabots at 1850 fps. Heavy gun at 9.5 before the scope. Not something I would want to walk around with all day. Good thing I hunt from a stand.

I got an nef pardner with a fully rifled bull barrel, very heavy but it has killed deer out to almost 200 yards. Mine is in 12 gauge, the barrel at the muzzel is almost 3/8 of an inch thick.

JTJ 12-29-2011 12:58 AM

Savage makes a 20 gauge bolt action slug gun that is supposed to be very accurate.

aandabooks 12-29-2011 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 661875)
I got an nef pardner with a fully rifled bull barrel, very heavy but it has killed deer out to almost 200 yards. Mine is in 12 gauge, the barrel at the muzzel is almost 3/8 of an inch thick.

Probably the same gun I've got with different stamping. My barrel looks like it should be a 10 gauge but is bored for 12. Unbelievably accurate for a slug gun once you find the right ammo. I went through about 4 different brands before finding the Remingtons that the gun likes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 661882)
Savage makes a 20 gauge bolt action slug gun that is supposed to be very accurate.

I've looked at those. They are nice guns with only one exception in my eyes. The full plastic magazine. No metal and I would be leary about how the plastic will hold up in the winter weather while sitting in a deer stand all day.