Wally World Issue - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Wally World Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I've had several issues with wm's service dept. Wish I had learned the first time. I haven't gone to them in years for car service.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I have dealt with a few of their screw ups at the dealer ship I work at and wm took care of the whole bill.

I would suggest you spend the extra loot and take it to a place that employs professional techs and have it looked at.

I would call the walmart manager and explain to him you do not want their people to look at or attempt repair first off and that you are bringing it to a dealership to have it checked over and invite him to meet you there with the vehicle. Best case it was a quart low and made a mess, no big deal and they should have the oem cap to install on it so its right. Worst case it ran low enough to do eng damage and can be properly diagnosed and repaired.

I would make sure that whoever does it gets all the oil cleaned up from the eng compartment, it can make a mess of wires and such if it stays on there. It will cause rubber components to swell and deteriorate.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

A former coworker had a similar problem, they didn't get the old filter gasket off, causing a fast leak. IIRC, Wmart reimbursed for part of the repairs at her mechanic.

Please, don't take a decent car to those goofballs, if possible.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:43 AM   #24

Just a note. When applying to work in the wally world lube center, they won't hire you if you have any previous automotive experience. I've seen them put drain plugs in with impact guns, force in the wrong drain plug, double gasket filters, etc. And don't even let them LOOK at your tires...

However, you should have NO damage from the oil cap being left off. Just a dirty engine. You smell the oil burning on the exhaust manifold. If you have engine damage, it was there previously.

Also, Wal Mart has (had) a $200 no-questions-asked repair policy. I used to replace damaged oil pans almost daily when I worked at a shop directly across from a WM. We had an agreement that we'd do it for a flat $200 using pans from a local junkyard. Usually same day. Beyond the flat rate, they have to call corporate, get a certified mechanic to check out the vehicle, declare the lube center at fault, than do the repair. I replaced 4 engines that were irreparibly damaged. Also from junkyards. Usually took two weeks. Definitely would not let them near my vehicles. The extra $10 to have a competent mechanic do the job right is more than worth it.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:58 AM   #25

Ill tell ya,a few years ago i worked in my father in laws shop on my days off(4 on 4 off) in the time i was there i saw several "certified" mechanics come and go.if you put them all together you wouldnt make one good mechanic i couldnt believe how many DAs call themselves mechanics.made me really think about who i let work on my vehicles.there are some good mechs out there,if you find one keep in touch with him like a long lost friend.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:03 AM   #26
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would contact the service manager and explain what happened. Tell him you want your auto checked by a dealership mechanic for damage and expect if there is any damage they will pay for the expense. If there isn't any damage I would still expect for them to pay for the missing cap, pay to have the engine compartment steam cleaned and pay for another company to do a proper oil change.

For many years I owned my own auto business, once a customer came back and asked to see the manager. When I met this customer he handed me a wrench one of the mechanics left under his hood. It didn't cause any damage, all he wanted was to return the tool and bring it to my attention. I refunded half the expense of the tune up we had done and deeply expressed my appoligy. He was a valued customer for the life of my business and sent his friends to my shop.

The wrench he found was easy to figure out who it belonged to (all my mechanics had there own tools and had to mark them). The mechanic was as upset with the mistake as I was so there wasn't much need to take further action. I did paint the wrench pink and had a meeting with everyone. I gave the wrench to the mechanic that made the mistake and told him he had to keep it until some else did something stupid, then he could pas it on. That wrench made the rounds over the years but seldom due to a customer complaint. When I closed the shop I kept the wrench, it's on the wall in my shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hey Benning, was any damage done? Do you know what the oil level was before your wife added some? If she never lost oil pressure I would be willing to bet no damage was done, just made a mess. True it was low but having only been driven a short time I think you would be OK. Now if the pressue was on and off, maybe some damage and the motor wouldn't make it 2 minutes if you lost it totally.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #28

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

No damage, just a mess. They cleaned it up as best they could, did another change properly, and gave her credit for a free oil change. She won't be redeeming that one.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

It doesn't get that cold here, i know, but i enjoy changing my own oil. It gives you a chance to notice leaks and worn items (serp belt, cv boots, etc). They sell drain pans with screens to save the bolt and drain the filter, and some autozones will recycle the oil for you (also helps with the occasional bonfire ).

Old 10-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
No damage, just a mess. They cleaned it up as best they could, did another change properly, and gave her credit for a free oil change. She won't be redeeming that one.
Glad to hear it. That is one of the reasons I do all my own maintanence. All my own repair work period.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer