Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Wall-Safe..... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/wall-safe-70959/)

LONGHAIR 08-23-2012 05:12 PM

Wall-Safe.....

I'm looking at Wall-safes and Stack-on has a very cheap one but the reviews on it say things like the door-hinges are cheap and break,so for $49.00 dollars I'm not thinking I'll go that way...Sentry has a wall-safe #7150...but they say the comination lock is cheap and it may lock your things inside with no way to get to them...Anybody got anything they can share on this ...I'm looking to buy a Wall-safe this weekend sometime....Thanks........:confused:.....

LONGHAIR 08-23-2012 05:13 PM

Sentry is $121.00.......

c3shooter 08-23-2012 08:37 PM

http://www.harborfreight.com/922-cubic-inch-digital-wall-safe-97081.html

boatme98 08-23-2012 09:38 PM

If you lvie around St. Louis, there are probably lots of lock and safe companies around. You might be surprised what you can find used.
You shouldn't be in a hurry when buying a safe. Do some research, and check out those lock shops.

partdeux 08-24-2012 02:09 AM

I have a cheap wall safe. It looks like one mfg makes them and they're sold under 20 different brand names. Mine does have a key in case the electronics fail. I initially had an intermittent problem, that I finally discovered was the battery case.

Secure, far from it. Take 2.73 seconds to get into it. But, it does give me a bit of piece of mind, and keeps things relatively close by, and still somewhat secure.

Vikingdad 08-24-2012 04:06 AM

A buddy of mine had several inexpensive safes for his extensive collection. He lost the whole collection to some thieves who just opened them up like a can of anchovies. Another buddy had a more expensive safe with one of those digital locks on it. When he died we called the company and the guy opened it up in a half second with an app on his smart phone. Cost $350 and he was there and gone in less than 5 minutes (took that long for him to run the credit card).

I like my old school combination lock safes. I would never trade them for anything newer that has a digital lock. Two of my safes I got from a military base when it closed, they are probably 80 years old (could be older) and were used as office safes, I took out the shelves in one of them to fit long guns and the other one I kept the shelves in for handguns and parts and stuff. I paid $50 for each one of them.

LONGHAIR 08-24-2012 04:43 AM

Harborfreight is about what I'm looking for...Put in the closet wall...Most robbers are in your house for 3 to 5 minutes and they may not see-it in the closet wall behind stuff....Thanks-guys.....

TWMIM 08-24-2012 04:44 AM

A few thoughts...

Some will say "anything is better than nothing". I disagree.

A cheap safe says to a burglar "I have something valuable inside, and it'll take you a couple extra seconds to get to me."

I don't know if you rent or own, a false wall with no locks seems more secure than the $50 safe.

None of my guns are high dollar, but they are guns, and I feel I have a duty to safeguard them. I have a safe probably worth more than any single piece in the collection.

LONGHAIR 08-24-2012 05:18 AM

I own my house but I wasn't going to put much in-it...Maybe some old coins and things like that...I only have hand-guns and they are under dressers in fake clocks in kitchen cabnets ...I have no kids here so I hide loaded guns everywhere I can...7 as of right now.....Just wanted a wall-safe out of the way in the closet for stupid-stuff...not even fire-proof really....

Vikingdad 08-24-2012 05:26 AM

A buddy of mine has a safe in his shop that is disguised as a high voltage transformer. It has vent holes in the sides with "DANGER 600 VOLTS" decals on it and a big switch box bolted over the combination lock. It sits right next to a piece of machinery and appears to be the power supply for that machine. Its not his only safe, but it is the best disguised one. The point is that one should not keep all eggs in one basket, and to disguise the baskets is extra insurance. Heck, if the government ever comes for you guns, are you going to give them all up at once? Or let them find the one prominent gun safe with all of the crappy guns in it?

Keeping