Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Wal-Mart To Tighten Gun Transactions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Default Wal-Mart To Tighten Gun Transactions

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24114145

updated 6:43 p.m. ET, Mon., April. 14, 2008
WASHINGTON - Wal-Mart, the nation’s largest seller of firearms, announced Monday it will toughen rules for gun sales, from storing video of purchases to creating an internal log of which guns they sell that are later used in crimes.

J.P. Suarez, the chief compliance officer for Wal-Mart Stores Inc., appeared with outspoken gun control advocate Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York to announce the changes at a gathering of Bloomberg’s group Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

Changes to come at about 1,100 Wal-Mart stores selling guns include:

Creating a record and alert system to record when a gun sold at Wal-Mart is later used in a crime. If the purchaser of that gun later tries to buy another gun at Wal-Mart, the system would alert the sales clerk of the prior buy and could refuse to make the sale.
Retaining the recorded images of gun sales in case law enforcement wants to view them later as part of an investigation.
Expanding background checks of employees who handle guns and expanding inventory controls.
Suarez said the tougher standards will come with some additional cost to the company.

“The costs are, we think, part of what it takes to be responsible. Everything is not pain-free,” he said, adding that small sellers can implement many of the same rules. He did not say how long it would take to implement all the changes, but noted that software must still be created for an internal log of guns later used in crimes.

Suarez said his company may receive some pressure from gun rights groups, but added, “This is not a signal that we’re getting out of firearms.”

The National Rifle Association denounced the company’s move.

“I view it as a public relations stunt that stigmatizes law-abiding firearms purchasers exercising their freedom under the Constitution,” said NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre. He said that if politicians were serious about reducing gun crime they would worry less about legal sellers and buyers and get tougher criminal sentences for illegal gun dealers.

“I honestly think it’s a corporation trying to curry favor with politicians as opposed to doing anything meaningful about stopping crime,” said LaPierre.

Wal-Mart sells only rifles and shotguns in its U.S. stores, with the exception of Alaska sites, which also sell handguns.

Bloomberg urged other companies to join Wal-Mart in the initiative called the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership.

“We didn’t pressure them, they’re doing it because they think it’s the responsible thing to do,” he said.

Wal-Mart, the world’s largest retailer, had previously tried to establish a store in New York City but failed.

The mayors’ gun summit also unveiled a new lobbying effort to close what they call the “gun show loophole,” which allows sales of firearms without background checks between private individuals at gun shows.

Bloomberg founded the group two years ago with Boston mayor Thomas Menino to reduce the flow of guns from store displays into the hands of criminals.

The group, largely funded by Bloomberg’s personal fortune, announced it was spending more than $100,000 on television ads, starting Wednesday, featuring all three of the current main presidential candidates voicing their opposition to the gun show loophole.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Good find Hank - Thanks for posting.

Clearly Wal-Mart has joined the list of people/companies that just don't get the cause of the crimes are not the weapons themselves.

Sweet Jesus Wal-Mart - Try getting some retinal scans or finger prints at the checkouts of your "customers" and see how many of them have outstanding warrants and pending sentences.

Oh wait, that would make a dent in your high volume, high profit margin products ourchased from outside the country sources.

Hypocrits! If this site had a bird emoticon, this is where I would place it :finger:

D

Old 04-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #3

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

I just hope the Supreme Court will untangle this entanglement of 20,000 gun laws once and for all.Fighting Clinton,Reno and the heat of the ATF for eight years,forced many of us small business FFL holders out of business,giving control to the large retail conglomerates we now enjoy today.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:48 PM   #4

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I voiced my displeasure to WalMart last night, and that they will get no more of my money even if it means spending more, elsewhere.

To contact WalMart;
http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx

From the mayor's web page;
http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/media-center/pr007-08.shtml

The 10 points of the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership are:
1.Videotaping the Point of Sale for All Firearms Transactions. Participating retailers will videotape the point-of-sale of all firearms transactions and maintain videos for 6 months to deter illegal purchases and monitor employees.
2.Computerized Crime Gun Trace Log and Alert System. Mayors Against Illegal Guns will develop a computerized system that participating retailers will implement over time to log crime gun traces relating to the retailer. Once the program is in place, if a customer who has a prior trace at that retailer attempts to purchase a firearm, the sale will be electronically flagged. The retailer would have discretion to proceed with the sale or stop the sale.
3.Purchaser Declaration. For sales flagged by the trace alert system, participating retailers will ask purchasers to fill out a declaration indicating that they meet the legal requirement to purchase the firearm.
4.Deterring Fake IDs. Participating retailers will only accept valid federal- or state-issued picture IDs as primary identification. Retailers will utilize additional ID checking mechanisms.
5.Consistent Visible Signage Consistent Visible Signage. Participating retailers will post signage created by the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership to alert customers of their legal responsibilities at the point-of-sale.
6.Employee Background Checks. Participating retailers will conduct criminal background checks for all employees selling or handling firearms.
7.Employee Responsibility Training. Participating retailers will participate in an employee responsibility training program focused on deterring illegal purchasers. The Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership will create an online training system based on Wal-Mart's training program.
8.Inventory Checking. Participating retailers will conduct daily and quarterly audits. Guidelines will be based on Wal-Mart's existing audit procedures.
9.No Sales Without Background Check Results. Participating retailers would prohibit sales based on "default proceeds," which are permitted by law when the background check has not returned a result within 3 days.
10.Securing Firearms. Participating retailers will maintain firearms kept in customer accessible areas in locked cases or locked to racks.
Participating retailers will phase in the provisions of Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership over time.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 04-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Michelle Malkin had the heads-up, too, but thanks for posting. Thanks also for posting the Wal-Mart contact info...I'll give them my $0.02.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:56 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

walmart has already had there FFL pulled in most places here because they screw up so much, this just there way of trying to make a good showing, wont happen tho. They are not the largest seller of guns also, Academy Sportd and Outdoors is the leading supplier of firearms in the US

Old 04-16-2008, 03:06 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 on the wal-mart can "go to hell"

I know what the anti's comments will be "well, what are you trying to hide, if you haven't done anything wrong you don't have to worry". This argument is the scariest of all, it is not more than a half step behind the realized quest to monitor and control all interactions of our society.

I mean come on, who do they think wal mart patrons are? The cross section of customers are probably a liitle on the huntin' and shootin' side of the fence. Unfortunately they will probably not have the will to boycott the "institution". I haven't set foot in a KMart since the michael moore rollover, wal mart will get the same from me now.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Here is what I got from Wal-Mart in reply to the message I sent them. Their response is b.s. As I told them, they won't see any more of my money until they reverse this policy.

Quote:
Thank you for your message.

Dear Brian,

Wal-Mart understands its role as a leading, responsible retailer in the U.S. and is making strides to strengthen its already existing security processes to help combat illegal gun activity in the communities we serve. Wal-Mart has a long and proud history of offering the products hunters and outdoorsmen want and need and that will not change.

It is important to note that these procedures should not impede law-abiding citizens from purchasing firearms at our stores that sell them. These processes merely provide us, as a retailer, an additional mechanism to assist law enforcement when illegal activity occurs.

We are hopeful these enhanced processes -- with help from law enforcement and other retailers committing to do the same -- can make a positive difference in our communities.

Thank you,
Wal-Mart Customer Relations

Old 04-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

And THAT ^ is a giant crock of sh1t from a retailer who is trying to cover up and issue they don't have the marbles to stand behind.

"It is important to note that these procedures should not impede law-abiding citizens from purchasing firearms at our stores that sell them"

Yes, yes it should deter your average law abiding citizen from purchasing from you and submitting themselves to a master list that you, and God knows who else, will have future access too.

Why are you addressing the real issues Wal-Mart? Why aren't you photographing and finger-printing your run of the mill clientele for other items? If you want to clean up the streets so badly, have the sand in your sack to sacrifice your bottom line and really make a statement.

I would have more respect for a company that said "We are going to photograph and fingerprint everyone who shops here because we don't want criminals as customers" than some B.S. piece of PR like this.

D