Wal-Mart take over - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Wal-Mart take over

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #21
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6330 Times on 3160 Posts
Likes Given: 6823

Local can mean great things but not always. The company store was always local and owned most of the souls of those who were tied to going there. Price is not the only factor but it is likely one of the biggest ones.

When I went to sell my Webley Fosbery 38, I talked to a couple locals and they looked at me like Rick from Pawn Stars, "I think I can get you $1500 for it"! An Auctioneer in Ohio got me over 10 times what I could have gotten in a LGS. Would you forgo that to keep it local? Add to that, Ive been treated worse by pompous arrogant service and goods providers than all the BB stores combined!

Its not that most LGS are trying to screw folks, they just dont have the clout or exposure to provide the things we want and need. Even though Remington makes some of the best weapons in the world less than 40 miles from my home, I cant buy what they are making. The buggy whip days are gone, we want things that dont exist in our localities and it takes the big boxers to get it for us at a cost we can afford.

The big Box Store has gotten a bad rap over the last decades and its time to set the record straight. They may import goods but those providing the customer services are homegrown and local, they need jobs and BB's provide lots of them. Lowes is a BB and our local one is fabulous, Ive got other choices but they are overpriced, inflexible and often rude. Were very rural and unless you want to pay way too much, wait way too long, Lowes been instrumental for many of us trying to DIY into a better life. I know most of the employees, they all live locally and most have been there since the day they opened 10 years ago. They call me by my name and even take me to the bargains before I ask. You cant walk 20' in the place without someone trying to assist you. If you havent gotten great deals there, its only because you havent tried or cant wait for one to come down the pike. Ive seen rude customers bullying them around and if you think that will help get you deals, your mistaken.

I Love EBAY and Craigs, who doesnt? Both give me reach-out capabilities I would never have otherwise both as a small businessman and a consumer. My most recent find is a 1988 Mercedes 300 TE. Ive been rehabbing it for the last month and saved $1000 on parts using EBay to get them. The local Mercedes Dealer seems to think his parts are solid gold! I would certainly consider FTF sponsors if they are selling what I want to buy but Im not gonna pay much more from someone I know than someone I dont, Im not rich and never will be.

In the end, a Middleman is a middleman! If your not producing it yourself, your profiting from someone else's work, thats not wrong but that will create competition and it should (See Free Market and how it works). We had to buy local when a trip to the city took 2 days, not today!

Old 10-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #22

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

One of my biggest problems with WM, is they will not meet there own internet pricing! If the web site is lower, the store will not match or if they are having a sale 20 miles away at a different store and you bring the add, they will not meet the sale. If it was Kmart or Target or other store they would match price! Business lost for them at Christmas time for my $$$.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #23

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
One of my biggest problems with WM, is they will not meet there own internet pricing! If the web site is lower, the store will not match or if they are having a sale 20 miles away at a different store and you bring the add, they will not meet the sale. If it was Kmart or Target or other store they would match price! Business lost for them at Christmas time for my $$$.
That's weird. I've heard of Wal-Marts matching distributor's prices on firearms. I think it really depends on how each store manager feels. Every single one I've been to here in my area do something different.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I do shop at walmart; there are limited options here in bfe. My issue with wallyworld is the way they are bringing in the "direct from China" crap when they formerly touted their "Made in U.S.A." goods. I would be all for a payroll tax discount for them (large employer) if they would lay off the Chinese crap & offer more U.S. choices.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

willshoum Likes This 
Old 10-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #25

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I just bought some .45s, .40s, and a box of .22s from Walmart. The 100 box of Federal .45s for $29.97 is awesome!!

Old 10-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #26

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

I only buy ammo from Walmart but that's because their ammo prices blow everyone else's out of the water. I'm lucky enough to have Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, and a Gander Mountain within 40 min of me. But their ammo prices are ridiculous. Gander Mountain is by far the worst, I honestly have no idea how they are still in business with the prices they have and with Cabelas and Bass pro so close. Cabelas used to be decent but I refuse to buy any guns or ammo from them anymore. Every other week they have a sale on an item then its "on sale" again next week for 3-4 dollars more. I also feel since I'm so close to the Illinois border Cabelas knows they get tons of Illinois customers that they jack up the prices on guns. Currently their XDm's are "on sale"for over $670 depending on the caliber. Bass pro is the farthest of the 3 so I rarely go there. I have one LGS that's close and their firearm prices are the best. The ammo prices are decent but nothing beats Walmarts ammo prices. And just turning 23 the whole money in the pocket might not be as much as you "mature and wiser" guys ;-)

Old 10-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #27

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Funny thing is I priced my ammo lower than Wal Mart and I still have trouble moving it.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Last edited by silverado113; 10-06-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 231 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I buy wherever is cheaper. I always compare in terms of price, tax, shipping fee or transfer fee. It's not that i don't support locals.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:51 AM   #29

Liked 1907 Times on 1061 Posts
Likes Given: 1261

I always give the local the first shot at my business. But I often go looking and they dont have what I need. I asked for a 5 round mag for an SKS and they looked at me like I was speaking spanish or something.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 10-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #30
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6330 Times on 3160 Posts
Likes Given: 6823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I always give the local the first shot at my business. But I often go looking and they dont have what I need. I asked for a 5 round mag for an SKS and they looked at me like I was speaking spanish or something.
Exactly, we dont really need to except less service, more cost or higher taxes so we do pick and choose as we should and must to afford to survive these times. Sometimes its things that are out of control of the local businessman like taxes or availability but often they lose customers by not getting with the times and giving the best service they can for the money they charge.

Sears Roebuck really started the whole thing but people wanted the stuff quickly and inexpensively, Sam did what Sears couldnt. Actually, Waltons World is the epitome of success due to changeability not the problem with society. When America made the lions share of great affordable products, Sam capitalized on that but things changed and he wasnt the one who changed them, just saw it coming and changed his model. He started by doing what nobody ever did before and they continue to morph with the times as he would have if Sam himself was still alive.

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 10-06-2012 at 11:59 AM.