Wal-Mart guns....?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Wal-Mart guns....?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 02:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1021 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Default Wal-Mart guns....?

A Wally World near me has a Marlin 336w, that has some unusually pretty furniture on it..I dont need another one, but was thinking about purchasing it as a Birthday present for someone we know...I know that some gun manufacturers will cut cornrers, and reduce quality to get down to wal-marts price point. My question is..does anybody know what to look for on a Marlin that would indicate lesser quality, or something in the serial number, etc. Or should i just avoid wally world guns all together...?

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

dango Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2014, 02:18 AM   #2

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The new Remington-Marlins are not the quality of the JM Marlins. Just my opinion.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:24 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
A Wally World near me has a Marlin 336w, that has some unusually pretty furniture on it..I dont need another one, but was thinking about purchasing it as a Birthday present for someone we know...I know that some gun manufacturers will cut cornrers, and reduce quality to get down to wal-marts price point. My question is..does anybody know what to look for on a Marlin that would indicate lesser quality, or something in the serial number, etc. Or should i just avoid wally world guns all together...?
the Marlin at WalMart is no different than the same gun at your LGS. Cabelas, Dick's or any other place that sells Marlins. the only difference is that some of the big sporting goods retailers, will buy a special run of a certain featured firearm from the manufacterers that are not exactly like what every one carries. but these are usually places like Dick's or Cabelas and they might buy several thousands of them for many stores. but the quality is still the same.

no, there are not any seconds made for just WalMart. that is nothing more than internet rumour and myth. WalMart can sell the same rifle cheaper, because they buy in volume and spread those guns around to many stores. they buy it cheaper than the LGS so they can sell it cheaper. WalMart make their money on volume sales.

there are some who will try to lead you to believe that WalMart sells seconds as the reason they sell them cheaper, even on this forum, but several times, i have personally asked for proof to support their comments, and nothing yet has been brought forth to prove their statements.

Last edited by Axxe55; 02-17-2014 at 02:29 AM.
People Like This 
Old 02-17-2014, 02:29 AM   #4

Liked 1021 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The new Remington-Marlins are not the quality of the JM Marlins. Just my opinion.
That could be true...I know when they moved manufacturing/lost long time skilled workers, it had a negative impact on quality for a while..There are certain serial #s you want to avoid when buying used. The Stainless 338 Express i bought last fall is flawless, smooth, and accurate, good fit and finish. Every bit as good as my old JM Marlins.

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

dango Likes This 
Old 02-17-2014, 02:31 AM   #5

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Valid point...

Has nothing to do with the wally world...

I had the same question about the wal mart 10/22's that were so affordable, way back when...

I even called Ruger to find out the skinny...

Manufacturers don't make 'wal mart guns', the production line is the production line...

Wal-Mart buys products in bulk, hence the knockoff on the price...

Now the old Marlin vs. the 'Rem-Lin' thing...that's a whole other thread...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
People Like This 
Old 02-17-2014, 02:32 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Cindy,

Nightstalker is correct the quality of the new Marlin 336s are not nearly the quality as the older models. I had a Marlin 336-C when I was young! Should not have sold it or traded it since I can not remember what I did. But I would like to find a good one for the right price myself made in the 60s,70s or earlier in great shape. If you want a good Marlin I would suggest you shop around and buy an older one in excellent shape. Now back to Walmart! I do not believe that "all" manufacturers reduce the quality to sell guns to Walmart. They have the volume advantage over the normal little shop or dealer which makes sense. They order several hundred and the gun shop orders 3! In the past I purchased a Marlin 917V 17 HMR Rifle and a Winchester 94 when Winchester went out of business at Walmart just to have one. *The 94 is still in the Box today! Anyway, they both are fine guns. And the Marlin 917 V 17 HMR is one of the most accurate rifles I have. And I have several very accurate rifles. So they are not cost cutter guns. Anyway if you like the Marlin at Walmart and it is reasonable buy it! As AXXE stated!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 02-17-2014 at 02:35 AM.
People Like This 
Old 02-17-2014, 02:35 AM   #7

Why hide any of the facts from a potential buyer. The lady has a right to a complete answer.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:35 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Valid point...

Has nothing to do with the wally world...

I had the same question about the wal mart 10/22's that were so affordable, way back when...

I even called Ruger to find out the skinny...

Manufacturers don't make 'wal mart guns', the production line is the production line...

Wal-Mart buys products in bulk, hence the knockoff on the price...

Now the old Marlin vs. the 'Rem-Lin' thing...that's a whole other thread...
quite true. also Marlin went back to conventional rifling on the newer lever actions, vs. using the Micro-Groove rifling.

yes Marlin had some fitment and finish issues when they moved production to the New York facility. they got most of those issues taken care of that i have seen.

but the Walmart seconds story is nothing but bunk!

if there is an issue with the rifle, it's not because of WalMart, but Marlin's issue in quality.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:37 AM   #9

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

[QUOTE=Axxe55;1508325]quite true. also Marlin went back to conventional rifling on the newer lever actions, vs. using the Micro-Groove rifling.

yes Marlin had some fitment and finish issues when they moved production to the New York facility. they got most of those issues taken care of that i have seen.

but the Walmart seconds story is nothing but bunk!

Yessir...QFT...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 02-17-2014 at 02:41 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-17-2014, 02:43 AM   #10

Does anyone have proof that large budget priced OEM runs are exactly the same as normal production. How many times do we trade out new car parts because of the budget parts and tires etc on new vehicles? These items were bought in volume for lower prices as well.