You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Wacky Safety Group? or Just a dumb approach?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #1
Forum Chaplain
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1610 Times on 1045 Posts
Likes Given: 1442

Default Wacky Safety Group? or Just a dumb approach?

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/evolve-usa-approach-gun-safety/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=social&utm_conte nt=032616chronicle&utm_campaign=CH032616-evolveusaapproachgunsafety

this is from a "Cheaper than Dirt Blog and the video involved is among other things HILLARIOUS!
But I'd like to here your comments on it then High light my statement to see mine
The left is NOT going to care about how safe our guns are as long as we OWN guns and an group that thinks that simply pointing out the safety of them will keep the retoric down is dissolutioned BUT maybe it will jar some folks into thinking when they handle a gun
Statement made
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prv. 27:17
dango Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #2

Liked 1511 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1776

i'm sorry, but i'm not impressed by their methods or approach. they say they are trying to remain "neutral" and to keep politics out of it, and they are concentrating on just safety and that it's open to anyone. how can someone who is anti-gun be impartial about gun safety, when their whole purpose and agenda is to rid everyone of their guns in the manner of safety?

and humor? really? i'm sorry, but I just don't find anything the least bit humorous about gun safety or people getting hurt or killed by one due to negligence. which brings up another part I have a problem with, "accidental". there is nothing accidental about any gun when it discharges. it's either intentional, or negligent. I also believe that 99.9% of negligent discharges are preventable. the .1% would cover mechanical failures that cause a negligent discharge.

I take offense at the term "dumb***" if someone has a negligent discharge. yes, even I have had one or two of them. I think it acceptable to say that they do happen, either from being new to guns and not knowing something that leads to it happening, or from being around them for many years and becoming complacent with guns leading to it happening. by nature, we are human beings and we make mistakes. I don't like being referred to as a "dumb***" just because i'm human and make mistakes.

I take exception at trying to use humor to teach gun safety. and if I were ever at any type of training or safety refresher course and the instructor was trying to use humor to teach that course, I would leave and think that they were a moron. I take safety very serious, regardless of what it covers, including guns. the last message children or those new to guns need is someone trying to teach gun safety as being fun and humorous. it's a very serious subject and needs to be treated as such. it needs to be serious to drive home the point that treating gus in an unsafe manner can get someone hurt or killed. and again, i'm sorry, but I just don't see anything the least bit humorous about people getting hurt or killed.

okay, i'm climbing off my soapbox! rant off.
People Like This 
Old 03-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #3

Liked 1841 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

I Like It !...................
Old 03-27-2016, 04:40 PM   #4

Liked 3556 Times on 2006 Posts
Likes Given: 2441

I've seen a lot worse, touted as

"NRA Certified Instructor Videos"

You're a NRA certified instructor and you

carry a Hi-Point? Now is that for dependability,

or because of Hi-Point's uncompromising commitment

to quality?
People Like This 
Old 03-29-2016, 12:49 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 6449 Times on 3372 Posts
Likes Given: 29381

I laughed , it was funny but then when it comes to guns , there is only responsibility ! It's a choice we make knowingly all repercussions !

But , I laughed ....!
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-29-2016, 05:50 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3991 Times on 2423 Posts
Likes Given: 22182

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I've seen a lot worse, touted as

"NRA Certified Instructor Videos"

You're a NRA certified instructor and you

carry a Hi-Point? Now is that for dependability,

or because of Hi-Point's uncompromising commitment

to quality?
nope. i only carry it for the weight. once i expend the limited capacity magazine, it's heavy enough to make a good club.

Seriously, look up the IV8888 Hi Point torture test videos. They changed my mind of the brand. Not to the point that I'll sell off my 1911s, Glock, M9, or other handguns, but still, if all i had was a Hi Point, I'd trust my life to it. they sell because the company knows that not everyone has $1,500 to spend on a handgun, and they work. i don't mean that you will decide to buy one, just that you will see they are not the joke so many seem to think they are. I'll even admit that, yes, i do own one, a JCP. Why? It's fun to shoot. no other reason.

As to the organization, I'm of two minds on it. While firearms safety is a serious subject, for some, this approach may work where others have failed. they seem to have no agenda, which is a change from other groups, which runj the gammut from "If i want a LAWS Rocket launcher, I should be able to get one without the hassle of a BGC." To "If we ban all the guns, we will be safe, as no one will ever get one again."

All too often, safety takes a back seat to politics, and we need to take a serious look at why this happens. A group will start out with the best of intentions, and then other folks get their hands in it, and soon it all becomes little more than political grandstanding. We as a Nation do need to have a serious conversation about firearms safety, without the political influences thrown in, and far removed from the NRA front and the MDA front. one based in facts, not emotion, which both sides use. Saying 'What if it was your kid?" from either side (The map with the daughter's apartment, a convicted rapist, and the closest LEO further from said rapist, asking if a rubber, cell phone, or handgun is what your kid should have is designed to get an emotional response.) plays on emotion. This makes it hard to have a serious discussion on that front.

I myself will continue to watch this group, and see where they wind up. Should be interesting to say the least.
If I have to explain why I ride, you wouldn't understand. Explaining sex to an alien would be easier than explaining the feeling, one that boils all that is going on in your life down to what really matters each time you are in The Wind. All I can say is, Life is not Life without it.
People Like This 
Old 03-29-2016, 06:06 AM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 6449 Times on 3372 Posts
Likes Given: 29381

Well said Kfox ! So well said I may steal it ......!
People Like This 
Old 03-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #8

Liked 1511 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
nope. i only carry it for the weight. once i expend the limited capacity magazine, it's heavy enough to make a good club.

Seriously, look up the IV8888 Hi Point torture test videos. They changed my mind of the brand. Not to the point that I'll sell off my 1911s, Glock, M9, or other handguns, but still, if all i had was a Hi Point, I'd trust my life to it. they sell because the company knows that not everyone has $1,500 to spend on a handgun, and they work. i don't mean that you will decide to buy one, just that you will see they are not the joke so many seem to think they are. I'll even admit that, yes, i do own one, a JCP. Why? It's fun to shoot. no other reason.

As to the organization, I'm of two minds on it. While firearms safety is a serious subject, for some, this approach may work where others have failed. they seem to have no agenda, which is a change from other groups, which runj the gammut from "If i want a LAWS Rocket launcher, I should be able to get one without the hassle of a BGC." To "If we ban all the guns, we will be safe, as no one will ever get one again."

All too often, safety takes a back seat to politics, and we need to take a serious look at why this happens. A group will start out with the best of intentions, and then other folks get their hands in it, and soon it all becomes little more than political grandstanding. We as a Nation do need to have a serious conversation about firearms safety, without the political influences thrown in, and far removed from the NRA front and the MDA front. one based in facts, not emotion, which both sides use. Saying 'What if it was your kid?" from either side (The map with the daughter's apartment, a convicted rapist, and the closest LEO further from said rapist, asking if a rubber, cell phone, or handgun is what your kid should have is designed to get an emotional response.) plays on emotion. This makes it hard to have a serious discussion on that front.

I myself will continue to watch this group, and see where they wind up. Should be interesting to say the least.
I have to agree about the Hi-Point. definitely not my first choice for a a pistol. and I also believe many who trash it with their wild and many times unproven discussions about the pistol, no less about guns than the average ten year old kid, or are unabashed gun snobs, who think only the price paid for a gun should define it's quality or ability to function.

but onto the meat of the subject. I believe that any negligent discharge of a gun that results in the unintentional death of another person is one too many. I believe it's very serious subject, that should never be approached with humor or levity. I believe the death to be tragic and avoidable. our actions of how we handle guns should be approached at all times with seriousness. guns can kill or hurt others or ourselves if they are not handled safely. that is a fact. approaching such a subject using humor, in my opinion, degrades the point that guns can be dangerous in the wrong hands or if not handled safely.

I also think that regardless of trying to stay neutral or not having a political agenda when approaching this issue is totally wrong. those with an agenda of not thinking we should have guns, regardless of their reasons why, will never be satisfied with trying to properly teach people about guns, simply because they believe people shouldn't have guns in the first place, and they believe the answer to gun safety and unintentional deaths is the elimination of guns from the average citizen and only allowing the military or those in law enforcement to have guns, and put the onus of our protection in their hands. you can not teach those with such an agenda about gun safety, since they their minds are already biased against them in the first place. they simply cannot fathom thinking objectively about guns to be able to listen to reason and common sense.

this approach can be in many ways compared to why we argue with the anti-gun liberals about why gun control laws, gun restrictions and bans are not working, have never worked, and will never work when it comes to deterring crime or criminals. none of them are willing or objective enough to listen to reason, common sense or the facts and proof that bear out that they are wrong. in their minds, only that by eliminating guns can we stop or deter criminals or criminal acts, or unintentional deaths by guns.

their intentions with this approach may be honorable and with good in mind, I just in my way of thinking about guns and safety and the possible under-lying agendas of many who are anti-gun proponents, just could never condone or advocate these methods of approach to the issue.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #9

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

nice thread...
Wacky Safety Group? or Just a dumb approach? - The Club House

Old 04-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #10
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5116 Times on 3005 Posts
Likes Given: 4279

I hear what you're saying Dallas. But we have different views on the significance of humor in a discussion. Humor can be used to make an underlying point more memorable. Humor can make a presenter more attractive to potential future audiences, widening the range of people who can be brought in touch with the topic. An excess of somber seriousness can weigh down an audience to the point where some start missing parts of the presentation. Humor can break up the serious parts into bite-size portions. That allows more of the audience to get the whole thing.

In this particular case, CTD-Blog is trying to filter out the generic gun rights/gun control rhetoric and at the same time draw attention to a topic. They are doing so in a media (Internet) that epitomizes 30 second sound bites directed at people with very short attention spans. If a humorous trailer such as the video gets a few people to read through the blog and become acquainted with a topic they would otherwise ignore, then I'd say that trailer did its job and that it was a job worth doing.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Generalizations are (almost) always bad.
kfox75 Likes This