Wacky news.......... - Page 30
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Wacky news..........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #291
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

I saw that on Fox, and you're right, it's wacky.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:19 AM   #292
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/01/14/australian-police-arrest-four-smurf-suspects-for-crime-spree/?hpt=hp_t2

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 AM   #293
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8261 Times on 4773 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Not so much wacky as it is cool- at least to me.

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/01/11/deadhead-lumber-calls-logging-history-not-jerry-garcia?cmpid=tp-ptnr-upworthy

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #294
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2821 Times on 1400 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Default Ohio ex-teacher sues, says she fears young kids

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/20592156/teacher-with-fear-of-young-kids-sues-ohio-district#axzz2I62ceGjM
Quote:
CINCINNATI (AP) - A former high school teacher is accusing school district administrators of discriminating against her because of a rare phobia she says she has: a fear of young children.
Maria Waltherr-Willard, 61, had been teaching Spanish and French at Mariemont High School in Cincinnati since 1976.
Waltherr-Willard, who does not have children of her own, said that when she was transferred to the district's middle school in 2009, the seventh- and eighth-graders triggered her phobia, causing her blood pressure to soar and forcing her to retire in the middle of the 2010-2011 school year.
In her lawsuit against the district, filed in federal court in Cincinnati, Waltherr-Willard said that her fear of young children falls under the federal American with Disabilities Act and that the district violated it by transferring her in the first place and then refusing to allow her to return to the high school.
The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages.
Gary Winters, the school district's attorney, said Tuesday that Waltherr-Willard was transferred because the French program at the high school was being turned into an online one and that the middle school needed a Spanish teacher.
"She wants money," Winters said of Walter-Willard's motivation to sue. "Let's keep in mind that our goal here is to provide the best teachers for students and the best academic experience for students, which certainly wasn't accomplished by her walking out on them in the middle of the year."
Waltherr-Willard and her attorney, Brad Weber, did not return calls for comment Tuesday.
Winters also denied Walter-Willard's claim that the district transferred her out of retaliation for her unauthorized comments to parents about the French program ending - "the beginning of a deliberate, systematic and calculated effort to squeeze her out of a job altogether," Weber wrote in a July 2011 letter to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
The lawsuit said that Waltherr-Willard has been treated for her phobia since 1991 and also suffers from general anxiety disorder, high blood pressure and a gastrointestinal illness. She was managing her conditions well until the transfer, according to the lawsuit.
Working with the younger students adversely affected Waltherr-Willard's health, the lawsuit said.
She was "unable to control her blood pressure, which was so high at times that it posed a stroke risk," according to the lawsuit, which includes a statement from her doctor about her high blood pressure. "The mental anguish suffered by (Waltherr-Willard) is serious and of a nature that no reasonable person could be expected to endure the same."
The lawsuit was filed in June and is set to go to trial in February 2014. A judge last week dismissed three of the ex-teacher's claims, but left discrimination claims standing.
The lawsuit says that Waltherr-Willard has lost out on at least $100,000 of potential income as a result of her retirement.
Winters said that doesn't make sense, considering that Waltherr-Willard's take from retirement is 89 percent of what her annual salary was, which was around $80,000.
Patrick McGrath, a clinical psychologist and director of the Center for Anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorders near Chicago, said that he has treated patients who have fears involving children and that anyone can be afraid of anything.
"A lot of people will look at something someone's afraid of and say, 'There is no rational reason to be afraid of that,'" he said. "But anxiety disorders are emotion-based. ... We've had mothers who wouldn't touch their children after they're born."
He said most phobias begin with people asking themselves, "What if?" and then imagining the worst-case scenario.
"You can make an association to something and be afraid of it," McGrath said. "If you get a phone call that your mom was just in a horrible accident as you're locking the door, you can make an association that bad news comes if you don't lock the door right. It's a basic case of conditioning."
A teacher with "fear of small children?" Seems like a piss poor career choice to me. Add to that her 89% retirement after 34 years and I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for her.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 01-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #295
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7091 Times on 4268 Posts
Likes Given: 8599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/20592156/teacher-with-fear-of-young-kids-sues-ohio-district#axzz2I62ceGjM

A teacher with "fear of small children?" Seems like a piss poor career choice to me. Add to that her 89% retirement after 34 years and I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for her.
What a bloomin' idiot.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #296

OK. This one has to be near the top of wackiest of all. Look out behind you! I wonder where they get the donor materials?

Quote:

inShare
Feces transplant may help relieve severe diarrhea
By Gene Emery, Reuters Health
Posted: 01/17/2013 09:36:40 AM PST
Updated: 01/17/2013 09:37:42 AM PST

It may sound like the most unappealing treatment available, but a small new study has concluded that inserting fecal material from a healthy person into the gut of someone with severe diarrhea may cure their problem more effectively than antibiotics.

The study, which appears in the New England Journal of Medicine, involved patients who had repeated bouts of diarrhea caused by a bacterium known as Clostridium difficile. So-called C. diff can take over the intestines after antibiotic treatment has killed off the beneficial bacteria found in the gut.

One transplant of fecal material from a volunteer - with its mix of healthy bacteria - resolved severe diarrhea in 13 out of 16 volunteers. Standard treatment with an antibiotic, in comparison, worked in four of 13 patients.

"This is the first hard evidence that has been provided for the treatment," senior author Dr. Josbert Keller of the University of Amsterdam told Reuters Health.

"Those of us who do it know how effective it is," said Dr. Colleen Kelly of Brown University's Alpert Medical School in Providence, Rhode Island, who was not connected with the study but uses fecal transplant in her practice.

About 3 million people in the U.S. are infected annually with C. diff, which spreads mainly through hospitals, nursing homes and doctors' offices.

The bacterium underlying the problem is called "difficile" for a reason. When it controls the gut, it can be difficult to eradicate. Antibiotics typically only work in
Advertisement
15 to 26 percent of patients with C. diff. - and after repeated rounds of treatment, the drugs become less effective.

"I've done 90 of these now in the last four and a half years. In patient after patient who has failed multiple courses of antibiotic, if you give them a dose of stool, they get better," she told Reuters Health.

Stool transplants have been proposed as one alternative.

Keller and his colleagues compared three treatments in a small trial.

Thirteen volunteers with C. diff received a standard antibiotic, vancomycin, four times a day for 14 days. After 10 weeks, four were free of bacteria-related diarrhea.

Another 13 patients had the same drug therapy after drinking a solution to clean out the bowel, a process known as bowel lavage that is similar to what people go through if they are getting a colonoscopy. That worked in three cases.

The remaining 16 volunteers had a brief treatment with vancomycin, combined with bowel lavage, followed by the infusion of 500 milliliters of diluted donor feces through a tube that went into the nose, down the throat, past the stomach and into the small intestine.

In the three cases where that treatment failed, the doctors re-treated patients with fecal material from a different donor. That worked in all but one case.

Among the volunteers in the non-transplant groups who had a relapse of C. diff, 18 were later given a fecal transplant. It cured 15 of them, although four of the 15 needed two treatments.

All of the donors - people who worked in the hospital who were not involved with patient care - were periodically screened for a variety of diseases.

When side effects were tallied in the transplant group, 94 percent of patients reported diarrhea, 31 percent had cramping and 19 percent had belching, but all of those symptoms disappeared within three hours. Nineteen percent ultimately reported constipation after treatment.

Feces transplants may sound extremely distasteful, but "the patients were desperate because they had had several episodes. There was nothing else they could do. There was no psychological hurdle for them," said Keller.

"I think the 'yuck' thing is overplayed," Kelly said. "There's a desperation when you're this sick this long."

Only eight of the 43 patients in the study were willing to try the treatment after their first relapse of C. diff, Keller and his colleagues reported.

"The efficacy of antibiotic therapy decreases with subsequent recurrences, and it seems reasonable to initiate treatment with donor-feces infusion after the second or third relapse," they wrote.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 01-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #297
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5648 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
What the hell is WRONG with people? I just don't understand this. Does it look like he was shot with a shotgun? It looks like pellet marks on his face.

http://now.msn.com/dog-discovered-in-garbage-bag-after-being-shot-in-the-face
yeah thats birdshot. its why you dont use birdshot for self defense.

that poor dog got dickcheneyed. prolly knock him out and the person thought he was dead. its not uncommon in texas to shoot strays since its so rampant and wild dogs are the main reason rabies are so rampant. they form packs go feral and devastate anything they run across.

i lived out in the country and people would routinely drop animals out there i just shot them as it costs 50$ to have one put down at the time. its sad that people just dump animals and i couldnt keep them all as most had gone feral that came on our property. nothing you can do but dispatch them humanely.

birdshot from a shotgun is inhumane in my book. its solely for bird hunting, snakes and skeet. nothing else.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #298
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Oddly enough, Vikingdad, I've heard of that. Honestly, it makes sense to me. I know it's gross to think about but I do believe it works.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #299

Oh, I don't doubt it is effective. It is just really wierd! Keep those probiotics healthy and don't overdo the antibiotics and you should be able to avoid this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Oddly enough, Vikingdad, I've heard of that. Honestly, it makes sense to me. I know it's gross to think about but I do believe it works.

Quote:

Old 01-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #300
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Oh, I don't doubt it is effective. It is just really wierd! Keep those probiotics healthy and don't overdo the antibiotics and you should be able to avoid this.
Very true. But having worked in a hospital for over 30 years, I can tell you there are people who come in and have an extended stay and are pumped full of antibiotics for various reasons who do develop this situation. A severe trauma situation almost always results in several surgeries, prolonged hospital stay, infections, etc.