The Vietnam Wall

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Vietnam Wall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1287 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default The Vietnam Wall

This is not new, as I have seen it before. It may have been posted before also, but it would be good for those who have not seen it. There are many on this forum who served, and many who were around at this time and have memories.

Thanks to all who served.

A little history most people will never know.

Interesting Veterans Statistics off the Vietnam Memorial Wall

There are 58,267 names now listed on that polished black wall, including those added in 2010.

The names are arranged in the order in which they were taken from us by date and within each date the names are alphabetized. It is hard to believe it is 36 years since the last casualties.

The first known casualty was Richard B. Fitzgibbon, of North Weymouth , Mass. Listed by the U.S. Department of Defense as having been killed on June 8, 1956. His name is listed on the Wall with that of his son, Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Richard B. Fitzgibbon III, who was killed on Sept. 7, 1965.

There are three sets of fathers and sons on the Wall.

39,996 on the Wall were just 22 or younger.

8,283 were just 19 years old.

The largest age group, 33,103 were 18 years old.
12 soldiers on the Wall were 17 years old.

5 soldiers on the Wall were 16 years old.

One soldier, PFC Dan Bullock was 15 years old.

997 soldiers were killed on their first day in Vietnam ..

1,448 soldiers were killed on their last scheduled day in Vietnam.

31 sets of brothers are on the Wall.

Thirty one sets of parents lost two of their sons.

54 soldiers attended Thomas Edison High School in Philadelphia . I wonder why so many from one school.

8 Women are on the Wall. Nursing the wounded.

244 soldiers were awarded the Medal of Honor during the Vietnam War; 153 of them are on the Wall.

Beallsville , Ohio with a population of 475 lost 6 of her sons.

West Virginia had the highest casualty rate per capita in the nation. There are 711 West Virginians on the Wall.

The Marines of Morenci - They led some of the scrappiest high school football and basketball teams that the little Arizona copper town of Morenci (pop. 5,058) had ever known and cheered. They enjoyed roaring beer busts. In quieter moments, they rode horses along the Coronado Trail, stalked deer in the Apache National Forest . And in the patriotic camaraderie typical of Morenci's mining families, the nine graduates of Morenci High enlisted as a group in the Marine Corps. Their service began on Independence Day, 1966. Only 3 returned home.

The Buddies of Midvale - LeRoy Tafoya, Jimmy Martinez, Tom Gonzales were all boyhood friends and lived on three consecutive streets in Midvale, Utah on Fifth, Sixth and Seventh avenues. They lived only a few yards apart. They played ball at the adjacent sandlot ball field. And they all went to Vietnam . In a span of 16 dark days in late 1967, all three would be killed. LeRoy was killed on Wednesday, Nov. 22, the fourth anniversary of John F. Kennedy's assassination. Jimmy died less than 24 hours later on Thanksgiving Day. Tom was shot dead assaulting the enemy on Dec. 7, Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.

The most casualty deaths for a single day was on January 31, 1968 ~ 245 deaths.

The most casualty deaths for a single month was May 1968 - 2,415 casualties were incurred.

For most Americans who read this they will only see the numbers that the Vietnam War created. To those of us who survived the war, and to the families of those who did not, we see the faces, we feel the pain that these numbers created. We are, until we too pass away, haunted with these numbers, because they were our friends, fathers, husbands, wives, sons and daughters. There are no noble wars, just noble warriors.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 635 Times on 351 Posts
Likes Given: 2653

Thanks.
I have seen the traveling wall twice.
Overwhelming.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Thank you, Nat.

Last Feb. I accompanied my granddaughter's high school class on a field trip to DC, including the Wall and the WW 2 monument. Bitterly cold windy day. Their history teacher spoke with them about the war, and asked if I could talk with them a bit. They were quiet, respectful, well mannered and well spoken youngsters.

I asked them how old they were- 16? 17? OK, come over here. Want to introduce you to a friend- This is Dan. He and I served together. When he died, he was one year older than YOU. 2 years older than YOU. He liked music, nachos, beer and football. Had a girl- like you. So- what would you like to know?

We sat there across from the Wall and talked. Anyone that says you can't talk to kids today- WRONG.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 07-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7779 Times on 4670 Posts
Likes Given: 9751

I've been to the wall in DC. I cried the whole time I was there. And I found the name of the man who's aluminum bracelet I have. It was an overwhelming experience. And I only experienced the war on the nightly news..........every night. God bless all the Vietnam Vets. Those who are still with us and those that have passed. Either in the war or after coming home. You are all so very dear to me.

Several years ago a mini traveling Vietnam Wall came to a town about 8 miles from where I lived. I visited that, too.

http://thewall-usa.com/gallery.asp

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #5

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Old 07-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3095 Times on 1779 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Pensacola has a "Wall South".
It is basically a duplicate of the Vietnam Wall in Washington.

I have been to the place, but never looked at any names. Too many memories.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 539 Times on 325 Posts

I have been to the wall to. I have also been to the wall in Pensacola . My Uncle once told me that he had a couple of friends on that wall .

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 539 Times on 325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
I've been to the wall in DC. I cried the whole time I was there. And I found the name of the man who's aluminum bracelet I have. It was an overwhelming experience. And I only experienced the war on the nightly news..........every night. God bless all the Vietnam Vets. Those who are still with us and those that have passed. Either in the war or after coming home. You are all so very dear to me.

Several years ago a mini traveling Vietnam Wall came to a town about 8 miles from where I lived. I visited that, too.

http://thewall-usa.com/gallery.asp
Where you a war protester?

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 08-05-2013, 12:35 AM   #9
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6861 Times on 3443 Posts
Likes Given: 7437

We had the Moving wall at our School downtown, our legion sponsored it. It was awesome and sad, spent some time there and brought m grandkids to see it. C3, that was an awesome way to introduce the wall to those young adults, I bet they will never forget Dan!

Old 08-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1287 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I am from that time. I did not serve. I have no ACL in my right knee, which I never had repaired due to the way it was done, and I was not making a living playing any game. I tore it playing ice hockey. I failed a physical. Like many of that time I was against the war, partly because I don't think Congrass allowed the soldiers to win the war. Somewhat like I see in Iraq and Afghanistan. We fight with rules the enemy insists on, but then the enemy doesn't follow.

In that time I never protested the war, or felt that the protests helped the soldiers with the boots on the ground. I knew some people who have names on that wall. Not many, but a few too many.

Never understood the thought process of anyone who blamed the soldier. He was doing what he was told by higher ranked, and others not even ranked. I bought many a beer for a guy in uniform at that time in airports, bars and restaurants.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!