Vietnam Statistics
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Vietnam Statistics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1132 Times on 820 Posts
Likes Given: 582

Default Vietnam Statistics

I GOT THIS IN A EMAIL AND FIGURED ID POST IT FOR YOU GUYS

Interesting Veterans Statistics of the Vietnam Memorial Wall

"Carved on these walls is the story of America, of a continuing quest to preserve both Democracy and decency, and to protect a national treasure that we call the American dream." ~ President George Bush

SOMETHING to think about - Most of the surviving Parents are now Deceased.

There are 58,267 names now listed on that polished black wall, including those added in 2010.

The names are arranged in the order in which they were taken from us by date and within each date the names are alphabetized. It is hard to believe it is 36 years since the last casualties.

Beginning at the apex on panel 1E and going out to the end of the East wall, appearing to recede into the earth (numbered 70E - May 25, 1968), then resuming at the end of the West wall, as the wall emerges from the earth (numbered 70W - continuing May 25, 1968) and ending with a date in 1975. Thus the war's beginning and end meet. The war is complete, coming full circle, yet broken by the earth that bounds the angle's open side and contained within the earth itself.

The first known casualty was Richard B. Fitzgibbon, of North Weymouth , Mass. Listed by the U.S. Department of Defense as having been killed on June 8, 1956. His name is listed on the Wall with that of his son, Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Richard B. Fitzgibbon III, who was killed on Sept. 7, 1965.

· There are three sets of fathers and sons on the Wall.
· 39,996 on the Wall were just 22 or younger.
· 8,283 were just 19 years old.
The largest age group, 33,103 were 18 years old.
· 12 soldiers on the Wall were 17 years old.
· 5 soldiers on the Wall were 16 years old.
· One soldier, PFC Dan Bullock was 15 years old.
· 997 soldiers were killed on their first day in Vietnam .
· 1,448 soldiers were killed on their last day in Vietnam .
· 31 sets of brothers are on the Wall.
· Thirty one sets of parents lost two of their sons.
· 54 soldiers on attended Thomas Edison High School in Philadelphia . I wonder why so many from one school.
· 8 Women are on the Wall. Nursing the wounded.
· 244 soldiers were awarded the Medal of Honor during the Vietnam War; 153 of them are on the Wall.
· Beallsville, Ohio with a population of 475 lost 6 of her sons.
· West Virginia had the highest casualty rate per capita in the nation. There are 711 West Virginians on the Wall.
· The Marines of Morenci - They led some of the scrappiest high school football and basketball teams that the little Arizona copper town of Morenci (pop. 5,058) had ever known and cheered. They enjoyed roaring beer busts. In quieter moments, they rode horses along the Coronado Trail, stalked deer in the Apache National Forest . And in the patriotic camaraderie typical of Morenci's mining families, the nine graduates of Morenci High enlisted as a group in the Marine Corps. Their service began on Independence Day, 1966. Only 3 returned home.
· The Buddies of Midvale - LeRoy Tafoya, Jimmy Martinez, Tom Gonzales were all boyhood friends and lived on three consecutive streets in Midvale, Utah on Fifth, Sixth and Seventh avenues. They lived only a few yards apart. They played ball at the adjacent sandlot ball field. And they all went to Vietnam . In a span of 16 dark days in late 1967, all three would be killed. LeRoy was killed on Wednesday, Nov. 22, the fourth anniversary of John F. Kennedy’s assassination. Jimmy died less than 24 hours later on Thanksgiving Day. Tom was shot dead assaulting the enemy on Dec. 7, Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.
· The most casualty deaths for a single day was on January 31, 1968 ~ 245 deaths.
· The most casualty deaths for a single month was May 1968 - 2,415 casualties were incurred.

For most Americans who read this they will only see the numbers that the Vietnam War created. To those of us who survived the war, and to the families of those who did not, we see the faces, we feel the pain that these numbers created. We are, until we too pass away, haunted with these numbers, because they were our friends, fathers, husbands, wives, sons and daughters. There are no noble wars, just noble warriors.

When people fear their government, there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is Liberty.
And, No free man shall ever be deprived the use of arms.
---Thomas Jefferson

May God bless us all.

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #2

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Amen. While I was reading that, the only thing I could think of was the men I know who's last trip home was made in a wooden box.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #3

Different war but great grandpa george and uncle curly were on the beach during d-day , curly was shot dead and g-dad was also shot but severly wounded . He was thrown in the pile with the dead but luckily he came to as someone was passing by . I have never seen arlington or any of it but the next trip up Its on the agenda . Im only 28 but I dont really understand what Nam was about ? It seems the nam vets dont get the respect as the ww2 guys do/did , what gives ?

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9148 Times on 3950 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

If you make it to DC, Arlington is just across the river, and worth the visit. But also budget some time for the Vietnam, the Korean, and WW 2 memorials. They are all in walking distance of the Lincoln Memorial.

Ref: Vets- we never lost a battle. We were whipped in the news media by liberals. We were whipped in the field by the orders from own own chain of command- including LBJ and McNamara. We were whipped by a public that was convinced that we were baby killing nun raping drug addicts. It still goes on.

A few years back there was a "public figure" that was in front of a camera at every opportunity, telling about his hard times in Nam, and touting the unemployed homeless mentally deranged drug abusing Nam vet. It finally came out that the SOB had never been West of Oakland CA.

Then we have a young John Kerry, spouting off to the media about the murder of civilians in Nam. Much of Kerry's speech before Congress painted his fellow GIs as so brutal that, today, they could easily be mistaken for Saddam Hussein's Fedayeen killers.

kerry_sfr.jpg

He told Congress that U.S. soldiers had "personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the countryside of South Vietnam."

Kerry was a supporter of the "People's Peace Treaty," a supposed "people's" declaration to end the war, reportedly drawn up in communist East Germany.
It included nine points, all of which were taken from Viet Cong peace proposals at the Paris peace talks as conditions for ending the war. One of the provisions stated: "The Vietnamese pledge that as soon as the U.S. government publicly sets a date for total withdrawal [from Vietnam], they will enter discussion to secure the release of all American prisoners, including pilots captured while bombing North Vietnam."

Several weeks later, Kerry was featured in a on CBS's "60 Minutes." Correspondent Morley Safer, in the segment portrayed Kerry as an eloquent man who had a "Kennedyesque" future. "Do you want to be president of the United States?" Safer asked Kerry.

"No," Kerry replied. "That's such a crazy question when there are so many things to be done and I don't know whether I could do them."

I stay in touch with my classmates from OCS. Most retired as LTC's, but a couple made General. They are now senior managers, professors, senior LEOs, etc.

Here is one of my late classmates, who was one of 100 people ever inducted into the US Army Ranger Hall of Fame. Read it, and see what you think of him. US Mountain Ranger Association

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

It's a lot different now. When I ended my career in 1970 as a C.U.N.T. (Civilian Under Naval Training) and while returning home in uniform, I got spit on!

It was a welcome many of us old farts got back then!

I don't hold a grudge but I still have a good memory!

johnkerrytraitor.jpg   1_praying-soldiervnm.jpg   1_vietnam_veterans_memorial_wall_end_big.jpg   1_vietnamveteransmemorial.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #6

So basically nothing has changed much ? Oh but nowthe troops can now proudly wave their rainbow flag with the american flag .

Old 09-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #7

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I don't know about the other more recent vets but I was spit on and jumped by 3 guys who managed to pick me out by my haircut (not a hard thing to do). One said, "Hey cool hair cut, you a Marine?" of course I said yeah and it was on right away.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I believe that one of the greatest trageties in American history occured when Americans yelled, called baby killers, and disrespected true American heros coming home from a hell that cannot be imagined unless you were there. They fought and many of them died for their country and that is the welcome they get. Those protestors make me sick and do not deserve the freedom that these men fought to protect.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #9

It was that generation that everything changed especially the public. Before vietnam Americans would never disrespect troops coming home from a war. Today people get court orders to protest their funerals. It's a disgrace. It's sickening. Someone dies and they want to say, "Good. I am glad they did" that's a horrible thought. And it's those people that are from that generation that have that way of thinking. And they are teaching it to the younger people of today. I am 20 years old. I am in the Marine Corps my father is a retired combat vet my uncle is currently still in as a MSgt and my other uncle served 6 during the Gulf. My grandfather is a vietnam vet. He was a Green Beret that served with the 5th. He has a purple heart, 2 silver stars and 1 bronze star. So this issue hits close to home for me.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1930 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default The Unforgiven......

It was a war that the Aussie's, the French and the the Americans all got there ass kicked because Some arse holes were worried about collateral damage..... We had the Basterds by the gonads but some Idiot in the peace talks gave them the war...... Guess who......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........