Vietnam HD - History Channel - Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Vietnam HD - History Channel - Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Vietnam HD - History Channel - Question

I watched the 1st and 2nd part of the History Channel "Vietnam HD"' I would like comments from Vietnam vets 65-69.

Most of the video they show throughout the stories doesn't appear to be the correct video. Have you noticed this? Also, if you were there during any of the coverage they have shown so far, what is your opinion of the accuracy?

Thank You for your replies.....please leave the flames in another thread, and moderator, if there is a better place for this, please move it...Thank You.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You're correct, they seem to be drawing film from the archives to illustrate their stories without any attention to detail on when the actual film may have been taken. I noticed it especially with regard to the helicopters they were showing. I don't think the Army had any D-model or H-model Hueys in 65 or 66, but that's what they were showing. I saw some other things too that didn't match the timeline.

Good show though even if it isn't 100% accurate.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

I was going to toss up a post on this subject asking a similar question....

First off...

I wasnt there....i figure dads first order of business upon making it home was the making of ME! Considering my birth date and all.

I am liking the show.

Being a (poor) student of American history i am kind of...well...for lack of better term "enjoying" the show. I had a pretty good grasp of the politics and the reasons...but i am finding i am learning a bit more. I as well would like to hear comments regarding accuracy.

Both the wife (she HATES war flicks and anything related) and i are both coming away disgusted by it all every night.

To think how many Americans were slaughtered and how many more were scarred for life in the name of "stopping evil communism" only to fast forward 40 or so years to find it so deeply entrenched on our own soil.....

This leads me to my questions....whats the thoughts of those that risked life and limb because their govt told them to, to stop the spread of communism, only to today find it so firmly and deeply rooted n our own society?

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I saw part of Tuesday night and most of last night. I was confused by early "huey's" and late "jolly greens", timeline-wise, but i am no historian. I have found the program very interesting and very sad.

I missed the part about the tie-in with Catholicism and the self-torching priests.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:39 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

On the road, not watching TV-

The D model actually predated the C model. First H models got to RVN in about Jul 67. 45th Med at Long Binh.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7787 Times on 4675 Posts
Likes Given: 9764

I was going to watch this but didn't think I could stomach it.

I have a special love for the Viet Nam vets.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #7

I'm a big lover of our history, and this was well before my time, so I've been recording them, watched a couple so far. It has kinda surpirsed me that the movies they made about some of the battles are so close to the stories these men tell. It also gets me teary eyed and pissed off when they tell how they were treated when they got home. The People/media are just plain ignorant.