Victim of Taurus
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Victim of Taurus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Victim of Taurus

I bought a new Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm last week and carried it for a week before I had a chance to fire it at the range. Little did I know I was carrying a single shot pistol with me the whole time! I discovered at the range that it has a defective extractor which causes the spent round to remain in the barrel after the gun is fired. Strangely, it operates normally when hand-cycling an entire clip through the weapon. I took it back to the dealer who said heíll call me tomorrow after he has a chance to fire it. Iíve heard only negative comments about Taurus and now I believe them all! Donít trust Taurus as a self defense weapon!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My Taurus PT111 has been nothing less that reliable. It's too small for me, but it's a good pistol with about 500rds downrange.

ALWAYS test your firearms before carrying!!

Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #3

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWinner View Post
I bought a new Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm last week and carried it for a week before I had a chance to fire it at the range. Little did I know I was carrying a single shot pistol with me the whole time! I discovered at the range that it has a defective extractor which causes the spent round to remain in the barrel after the gun is fired. Strangely, it operates normally when hand-cycling an entire clip through the weapon. I took it back to the dealer who said he’ll call me tomorrow after he has a chance to fire it. I’ve heard only negative comments about Taurus and now I believe them all! Don’t trust Taurus as a self defense weapon!
I don't blame Taurus one bit. Things happen that is why you test fire the firearm.

It is really your fault you are so upset. You didn't clean check and fire said pistol before you carried it. That is just STUPID in my book if you are going to bet your life on something.

Do you buy a car without test driving it? I sure know I don't.

Your pistol is an imperfect machine made by imperfect machines (HUMANS). Why didn't you take it to the range before you carried it? First thing I do when I buy a new gun is head right to the range even if it is just to quickly fire 50 or so rounds. You would have then figured out that it was defective.

Don't talk bad about a product when it was the operator that was screwed up in the beginning.

Tango OUT

PS It is victim not victom. Just saying.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Well that sucks! I hate to hear about somebody buying a new gun that won't run right, my condolences. I hope the shop gets it fixed for you right away. Obviously, you will want to run a box or two through it before it becomes your primary carry piece, but hey, you lived so you learn.

I will say that my nephew's .357 wheelgun from taurus seems to work fine and looks pretty nice too. I tried it last weekend.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #5

Sheesh, lighten-up Francis! I'm just sharing info to make this world a safer place. If you werenít such a hot head you would relax and research my claim and discover that this has been a systemic problem with the PT709 since its inception. Shame on me for not doing the same.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I wouldn't take offense; some people join forums only to spread the bad word about a product that didn't work out for them. That is frowned upon by many people. I'm sure you will stick around & contribute some other info.

It doesn't take much, an occasional joke gets some of us by.

Have you got some other cases of this happening that would indicate a pattern? Maybe a gunrag article er something?

Old 01-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I wouldn't take offense; some people join forums only to spread the bad word about a product that didn't work out for them. That is frowned upon by many people. I'm sure you will stick around & contribute some other info.

It doesn't take much, an occasional joke gets some of us by.

Have you got some other cases of this happening that would indicate a pattern? Maybe a gunrag article er something?

Thanks. I'll try to be more positive

I read the exact problem from a post on TheHighRoad.com. He even uploaded a pic that looked just like my extractor.

Last edited by RealWinner; 01-11-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: "TheHighRoad.com" not "TheHighGround.com"

Old 01-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #8

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWinner View Post
Sheesh, lighten-up Francis! I'm just sharing info to make this world a safer place. If you werenít such a hot head you would relax and research my claim and discover that this has been a systemic problem with the PT709 since its inception. Shame on me for not doing the same.
Real, go here and be enlightened;

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/tangopedia-18750/#post168789 << Click Here

As far as Taurus, IMHO Victim of Taurus - The Club House

I will say one good thing about Taurus, it's not a glock!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Interesting.

I don't think you have to always "be positive" to get along with the class, but maybe lead off with a description of the malfunction in your new gun and then add that you have seen other reports of similar/the same problem and are wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience. If they have, i'd bet they'll chime in; if nobody else on here has had that problem, you'll know that some have had better luck with quality while still offering a warning to potential purchasers.

I've had very good luck with most of my firearms, except the lil AMT .22lr target pistol that is a beast to re-assemble.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have to agree with Tango on carrying a gun you haven't tried out, it's not a very good idea. I try to get a few hundred rounds through any weapon that I'm going to use for protection.

Let us know what the dealer tells you and whether Taurus helps you in any way. Any company can make a defective product every now and then, a good company will make sure the customer is satisfied after they receive a complaint.

One of our forum members used Taurus' warranty and it took months for him to get his revolver fixed. I had a pretty bad experience with my Judge, but the dealer I bought it from stepped up and gave me a full refund before they even heard back from Taurus on the issue.
(canto XII, st. 6)